Indy's College Life

WeAreGoingToDie

Yesterday I watched "Hollywood Follies" on DVD, my first time seeing it since it's network premiere. Following the episode I began reading the novel "Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi". Following the first chapter I began to work out in my head when and where Indy began and finished college, only to get confused. :confused:

So it was Princeton 1918-1919, University of Chicago 1919-1920? Seems like quite a short time at Chicago for Abner, Oxley, Elliot Ness and his off campus roommate in "Peril at Delphi" (name escapes me at the moment) to all come into play.

Could somebody help work out exactly which colleges during which years Indy attended according to YIJ and the first few novels?

Stoo

WeAreGoingToDie said:
Yesterday I watched "Hollywood Follies" on DVD, my first time seeing it since it's network premiere. Following the episode I began reading the novel "Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi". Following the first chapter I began to work out in my head when and where Indy began and finished college, only to get confused. :confused:

So it was Princeton 1918-1919, University of Chicago 1919-1920? Seems like quite a short time at Chicago for Abner, Oxley, Elliot Ness and his off campus roommate in "Peril at Delphi" (name escapes me at the moment) to all come into play.

Could somebody help work out exactly which colleges during which years Indy attended according to YIJ and the first few novels?
Keep in mind that the first few books were written before the TV series so the dates don't jive.

Chronicles:
1919-192?, University of Chicago, Archaeology

Bantam:
191?-1920, University of Chicago,
1920-1925, University of Paris (La Sorbonne), Linguistics

UltimateManGod

Here's what Leeland Chee had to say about this stuff, in a question posed by yours truly.
My question involves a discrepancy between the Young Indy series and the adult novel series. In Young Indy, he begins college in 1920, but in Indiana Jones and the Peril of Delphi, he's graduating in 1920. So what I'm trying to ask is how those two differing sources mesh, and whether one outweighs the other. I know the book came before the later Young Indy episodes.
Now we're finally getting into the real continuity stuff here. Indy starts attending the University of Chicago in 1920, and graduates in 1922. Later that year he begins studying at the Sorbonne. Peril of Delphi actually covers two different periods of time.

I certainly like to think Indy started in 1919. Three years is a bit more realistic.

And here's a link to said question and answer. http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?threadID=261663&start=15
So yeah, the books are canon. Everything is, unless it directly contradicts the movies.

Michael24

UltimateManGod said:
So yeah, the books are canon. Everything is, unless it directly contradicts the movies.
Yup. Like was stated elsewhere in the "Continuity" thread, LucasFilm treats Indy Expanded Universe just like Star Wars EU: it's all canon, unless Lucas says otherwise in a movie. :)

Stoo

UltimateManGod said:
Here's what Leeland Chee had to say about this stuff, in a question posed by yours truly.

I certainly like to think Indy started in 1919. Three years is a bit more realistic.
Thanks for asking him but why any Indy fan should have to go seek out Mr. Chee on a
Star Wars website is "quite beyond my capacity to comprehend."(n)

It has to be 1919 (unless he was too late for the fall semester and only started in spring).
The Lost Journal messes it up, too. There is a note from April 25, 1920 that lists all of Indy's
pending/rejected university applications. He still hasn't heard back from U. of C. in late April?
That doesn't even match the TV show!(n)
Leland Chee said:
Now we're finally getting into the real continuity stuff here. Indy starts attending the University of Chicago in 1920, and graduates in 1922. Later that year he begins studying at the Sorbonne. Peril of Delphi actually covers two different periods of time.
This would mean that he is only in his 1st year of his linguistics PhD (and not his 3rd)
when he is chosen for the Delphi expedition. Wow, he must have really impressed Dorian
in such a short time!

Ah, what can you do? The dates don't jive...:(
(And in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter!)

tupogirl

Well and it probably helped him having his daddy be who his daddy was. University's tend to be very political as far as getting jobs, and if you work at one, your kid is a shoo in (at least for that school).

And who knows if he got credit for some of his war work as well.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
FWIW, I attended UF from January 2000 to December 2001.
Goooooo, GATORS!:D O.K. So, it's possible Indy missed the fall semester and (according to Mr.Chee) started in 1920.
As to WHY(????) when we know Indy splits for Chicago in 1919 is anybody's guess. This is based on the bookends for
"Travels w/Father" because I haven't actually watched the full Princeton, 1919 episode from Volume 3 yet.

Curious to see if there's some clue that would prove the 1920 start date is not an oversight.

tupogirl

The Treaty of Versailles was signed on June 28, 1919.

But wasn't Robeson graduating in that episode?

Oy. I give up.

My sister also started her college career in the spring semester.

WeAreGoingToDie said:

Jack Shannon was his name. he was a cornet player who went to various barrelhouse bars with Indy.(PAD) and who was a reluctant gangster in a mob family. He eventually found religion and married the daughter of a man who found Noah's Ark. (TGD)

Stoo

Here are some more dates to confuse you with. From the DK "Ultimate Guide":

1919 Sep: Indy returns to the United States to attend the University of Chicago
1920 Jan: Indy and close friend, Harold Oxley, begin studying under Abner Ravenwood, and meet Abner's daughter, Marion Ravenwood.
1921 Mar: Indy forms a fast friendship with fellow Chicago student and saxophonist, Jack Shannon.
1922 May: Indy is unknowingly drawn into a plot to topple King Contsantine of Greece, engineered by Indy's Sorbonne archaeology professor, Dorian Belecamus.
1922 Jun: Indy graduates from the University of Chicago
1922 July: Indy takes postgraduate coursed in linguistics at the Sorbonne.

So, Indy was at the Sorbonne before he graduated from U. of C...
What a mess...:eek:

phantom train

Since I'm such a huge YIJC fan, I will be elitist ;) and plan to ignore any of the literature/sources that contradict the timeline that was established in the show.
That's not to say I don't like some of the novels (though I haven't read them since the '90's), but some/most of them were written without taking the show into account.

Just going by the show, it looks like Indy did not go to college at Princeton at all - he got to Princeton in the Spring/Summer of 1919 after attending the Paris Peace talks, stayed with his father for a brief time and worked with a scientist in a lab for the summer, and left to go to the University of Chicago at the end of the summer (partially because he and his father didn't get along at all) - this is taken from the episodes "Paris 1919" and
"Princeton 1919" (or the "Winds of Change" DVD in YIJC Volume 3).
I believe he started at the University of Chicago in the Fall of 1919 (since he would have had enough time to do this if he left for Chicago in the late summer of 1919), but I guess it's possible he started in the Winter 1920 semester instead - this wasn't clear in the show, though, since the next time we see Indy (after Princeton 1919) is in "Mystery of the Blues", which takes place during Spring 1920.

Since it's established that the IJ films now do take the YIJC show into account (re: Indy's conversation with Mutt in KOTCS about his Pancho Villa adventure), I feel that the YIJC are canon, and should be looked at before any of the literature. This is just my opinion, however.

Crack that whip

phantom train said:
Since it's established that the IJ films now do take the YIJC show into account (re: Indy's conversation with Mutt in KOTCS about his Pancho Villa adventure), I feel that the YIJC are canon, and should be looked at before any of the literature. This is just my opinion, however.

I personally always thought they were established as canon since the beginning, actually, given that they're actual, honest-to-goodness Lucasfilm, Ltd. productions (and distributed by Paramount, even) from original Indy creator, executive producer and storywriter George Lucas himself, as well as featuring the talents of such other Indy movie vets as Ben Burtt, Vic Armstrong, Vic Tablian, Paul Freeman, etc., up to and including even a brief appearance by Harrison Ford as Indy...

SterankoII

The only continuity problem for me between the movies and YIJ is when 9 year old Indy is in Africa and he's walking around with the native kid and they see a snake and run away with Indy yelling "I hate snakes!". That seems to contradict TLC which shows Indy first becoming getting his phobia after falling into a big vat of snakes in the circus train.

Crack that whip

SterankoII said:
The only continuity problem for me between the movies and YIJ is when 9 year old Indy is in Africa and he's walking around with the native kid and they see a snake and run away with Indy yelling "I hate snakes!". That seems to contradict TLC which shows Indy first becoming getting his phobia after falling into a big vat of snakes in the circus train.

But even before that, in Egypt in '08, he sees a snake charmer with his "assistant" - a cobra, no less - and is totally unfazed.

I think part of the reason he reacts more strongly to the one in British East Africa is simply because it's a fairly large snake, and there's also a more uncontrolled environment - no adults around, just another kid his own age, and no real barriers between him and the snake. When we see him a few years later in Utah and he picks the snake up telling Herman "it's just a snake," that snake is an utterly tiny little thing (and Indy himself is bigger).

I think it all therefore works perfectly fine this way: he never really cared for snakes, but prior to the incident in 1912 it was just a general dislike, and it took him falling into those boxes on the train for his dislike to suddenly blossom into full-blown ophidiophobia.

Last edited:

Junior Jones

The College Years

Rather than start a new thread, I dug this one out of the archives. This is a long post, so stick with me.

Recently I've been going through Indy's life chronologically, and I'm now in the troublesome college years. But I think I've found a way to reconcile the inconsistencies.

Indiana Jones: The College Years

In the quest for a consistent chronology of the life of Indiana Jones that is inclusive of all canon sources, Indy’s college years are the most difficult. According to The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Indy enrolled in the University of Chicago in the fall of 1919 to study archaeology, and his roommate was Eliot Ness. However, in the first two chapters of Peril at Delphi, Indy graduates in 1920 with a degree in linguistics after completing four years at the University of Chicago; his roommate was Jack Shannon.

Using Lucasfilm guidelines, the films and TV episodes are of a higher canonical value than the novels. However, Peril at Delphi should not be discarded; it can merely be modified in the following ways:
1. The Prologue is dated 1922 and Chapter One begins “two years earlier”. This should be changed to “one year earlier.”
2. A mention that Prohibition had started “a few months back” should be changed to “last year.”
3. It states that Indy lived in a dormitory for his first two years and in an off-campus apartment the last two. This should be changed to one year each.

These simple changes allow Indy’s college years to be summarized as follows:

September 1919 – Indy arrives in Chicago and enrolls in the University. Although his interest is in archaeology, he also studies linguistics to pacify his father, who is unhappy with his choice of schools. (He could major in linguistics and minor in archaeology, or perhaps take up a double major of linguistics and archaeology. In either case, he consistently tells friends, “I’m studying archaeology.”) He lives in a dormitory with his roommate Eliot Ness, who doesn’t share Indy’s love of jazz music. At some point, Eliot introduces Indy to Jack Shannon, an accounting student who plays jazz cornet.

Summer 1920 – Indy travels to New York and Los Angeles, working to earn money to continue his studies.

Fall 1920 – Indy returns for his second year at college. He and Jack Shannon rent an off-campus apartment. His teachers include Abner Ravenwood and Charles Kingston; his classmates include Harold Oxley and Magnus Völler.

Winter 1920 – Indy goes on a field trip to Honduras where he meets René Belloq, a student from the Sorbonne in Paris. They become friends and explore Mayan ruins together; they discover a crystal skull which Belloq steals and sells to F.A. Mitchell-Hedges (from an unproduced Young Indiana Jones Chronicles episode; Indy’s friend Harold Oxley would most likely also be involved in this adventure, given his later interest in crystal skulls).

Spring 1921 – Indy and Jack graduate from the University of Chicago. (I believe Indy was able to earn a linguistics degree in only two years because he began his studies already speaking over twenty languages.)

Summer 1921 – After an anthropology expedition to Alaska (from anther unproduced episode) Indy enrolls in the Sorbonne to continue his study of archaeology, influenced by his friend Belloq.

Winter 1921 – Indy and Belloq travel to Brazil with Charles Fawcett (another unproduced episode).

Spring 1922 – Indy and Belloq travel to Ur, Iraq with Peruvian archaeologist Andres Uribe. (Arms of Gold)

Summer 1922 – During the summer break, Indy travels with his former professor, Charles Kingston of the University of Chicago, to Panama. (Staff of Kings)

October 1922 – In his second year at the Sorbonne, Indy goes with Professor Belecamus to Greece. (Peril at Delphi)

Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Especially regarding my placement of Staff of Kings since I don't own the PSP version which includes this prologue.

Phil

Raiders90

Junior Jones said:
Rather than start a new thread, I dug this one out of the archives. This is a long post, so stick with me.

Recently I've been going through Indy's life chronologically, and I'm now in the troublesome college years. But I think I've found a way to reconcile the inconsistencies.

Indiana Jones: The College Years

In the quest for a consistent chronology of the life of Indiana Jones that is inclusive of all canon sources, Indy?s college years are the most difficult. According to The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Indy enrolled in the University of Chicago in the fall of 1919 to study archaeology, and his roommate was Eliot Ness. However, in the first two chapters of Peril at Delphi, Indy graduates in 1920 with a degree in linguistics after completing four years at the University of Chicago; his roommate was Jack Shannon.

Using Lucasfilm guidelines, the films and TV episodes are of a higher canonical value than the novels. However, Peril at Delphi should not be discarded; it can merely be modified in the following ways:
1. The Prologue is dated 1922 and Chapter One begins ?two years earlier?. This should be changed to ?one year earlier.?
2. A mention that Prohibition had started ?a few months back? should be changed to ?last year.?
3. It states that Indy lived in a dormitory for his first two years and in an off-campus apartment the last two. This should be changed to one year each.

These simple changes allow Indy?s college years to be summarized as follows:

September 1919 ? Indy arrives in Chicago and enrolls in the University. Although his interest is in archaeology, he also studies linguistics to pacify his father, who is unhappy with his choice of schools. (He could major in linguistics and minor in archaeology, or perhaps take up a double major of linguistics and archaeology. In either case, he consistently tells friends, ?I?m studying archaeology.?) He lives in a dormitory with his roommate Eliot Ness, who doesn?t share Indy?s love of jazz music. At some point, Eliot introduces Indy to Jack Shannon, an accounting student who plays jazz cornet.

Summer 1920 ? Indy travels to New York and Los Angeles, working to earn money to continue his studies.

Fall 1920 ? Indy returns for his second year at college. He and Jack Shannon rent an off-campus apartment. His teachers include Abner Ravenwood and Charles Kingston; his classmates include Harold Oxley and Magnus Völler.

Winter 1920 ? Indy goes on a field trip to Honduras where he meets René Belloq, a student from the Sorbonne in Paris. They become friends and explore Mayan ruins together; they discover a crystal skull which Belloq steals and sells to F.A. Mitchell-Hedges (from an unproduced Young Indiana Jones Chronicles episode; Indy?s friend Harold Oxley would most likely also be involved in this adventure, given his later interest in crystal skulls).

Spring 1921 ? Indy and Jack graduate from the University of Chicago. (I believe Indy was able to earn a linguistics degree in only two years because he began his studies already speaking over twenty languages.)

Summer 1921 ? After an anthropology expedition to Alaska (from anther unproduced episode) Indy enrolls in the Sorbonne to continue his study of archaeology, influenced by his friend Belloq.

Winter 1921 ? Indy and Belloq travel to Brazil with Charles Fawcett (another unproduced episode).

Spring 1922 ? Indy and Belloq travel to Ur, Iraq with Peruvian archaeologist Andres Uribe. (Arms of Gold)

Summer 1922 ? During the summer break, Indy travels with his former professor, Charles Kingston of the University of Chicago, to Panama. (Staff of Kings)

October 1922 ? In his second year at the Sorbonne, Indy goes with Professor Belecamus to Greece. (Peril at Delphi)

Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Especially regarding my placement of Staff of Kings since I don't own the PSP version which includes this prologue.

Phil

One problem with including the Belloq meeting with Fawcett--Indy meets Fawcett for the first time in 1926 with Deirdre.

Junior Jones

Raiders112390 said:
One problem with including the Belloq meeting with Fawcett--Indy meets Fawcett for the first time in 1926 with Deirdre.

Not necessarily the first time. According to the book, Fawcett and Brody are old college chums. Indy could easily have met Fawcett before '26.

The only problem is the apparent lack of familiarity when they meet in the book. But its not stated that they've never met, only implied. And I can overlook that.