Second Official Poster Released!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I just released how young Marion looks in the poster. It doesn't look accurate in the Hi Res version.

Zorg

HollyW00d said:
Here's a quick shop I did to compare them all

4posters.jpg

The new one fits very well. I love the obvious little similarities with the ROTLA and LC posters in particular. I've always liked the LC poster most for some reason. The KotCS poster, although a little more modern in style than the previous ones, has the feeling just right. It's also the perfect companion for the teaser poster, like it should be. One thing I'm missing though is a tagline. No tagline in the KotCS poster. I wonder why...

drwynn

...and, if I had bothered to read the page before this one...I would have seen that the information I just posted was already provided by someone else.

Sorry, mods...my bad! :eek:

snake_surprise

HollyW00d said:
Here's a quick shop I did to compare them all

Looks great, although you should use the first and original Raiders poster in this comparison. The poster you are using here is the 1982 re-release poster.

The original is better for your/our purposes here as it is a portrait pic of Indy.

ROTLAPoster01.jpg

A_True_Believer

I think I know why the new poster is throwing me off a bit: it's really photorealistic. The other posters are more "sketchy". This is not a bad thing. If anything, it shows how the quality of Drew's work has improved.

What angers me is seeing people at other sites saying that it sucks because "it's photoshopped!". It's sad that in this day and age people can not just assume that Drew has simply gotten better at what he does and instead conclude that he's cheating. :mad:

mr.wolf

drwynn said:
...and, if I had bothered to read the page before this one...I would have seen that the information I just posted was already provided by someone else.

Sorry, mods...my bad! :eek:
ya i posted this on the 7th page post 93 but I ain't in it for the fortune and glory.

Last edited:

snake_surprise

A_True_Believer said:
I think I know why the new poster is throwing me off a bit: it's really photorealistic. The other posters are more "sketchy". This is not a bad thing. If anything, it shows how the quality of Drew's work has improved.

What angers me is seeing people at other sites saying that it sucks because "it's photoshopped!". It's sad that in this day and age people can not just assume that Drew has simply gotten better at what he does and instead conclude that he's cheating. :mad:

You hit the nail on the head with the photo realistic comment. It really stands out more as a picture than a drawing next to the other ones.

However, Drew does use computers now, so while I am sure he is better now to an extent, his use of computers (photoshop or something else) can obviously edit his drawings after he scans them in.

The SW posters went the same way...rougher art to that of photorealism. I think it is a shame, but it is deliberately crafted that way for marketing reasons (Luca$) than artistic. It is really out of Drew's hands.

spiralout

The only thing that sets it apart from the other posters is all the black around the edges. I wonder if that was added afterwards.

Looking at the new poster, I'm surprised they didnt have him smiling fully, a la Raiders. When you see photos of Ford flashing his pearlies, he looks a whole lot more youthful. In this one, he looks like's about to cry.

Still, its not a bad poster and certainly fits with the other 3.

deckard24

replican't said:
Looking at the new poster, I'm surprised they didnt have him smiling fully, a la Raiders. When you see photos of Ford flashing his pearlies, he looks a whole lot more youthful. In this one, he looks like's about to cry.

Still, its not a bad poster and certainly fits with the other 3.
Yeah his trademark smirk would have been a nice touch! Drew already shaved off 10 years in the poster, and the lopsided smile would have taken off a few more.

The Dom Deluise/Mac comparison I'm sure will never end though! LOL

It was not the best choice of a pic to use for reference imo. A buddy of mine stopped over the other night and I showed him the poster. He's by no means a huge Indy fan, and the very first comment out of his mouth after seeing it was, "Is that Dom Deluise?"!

Indy_Chic

No Ticket said:
The thing on the left.

I know that says "drew" ... really... I do. But the first time I noticed it I thought it was a smiling face that was staring into cate's crotch. With the "w" making up the forehead and nose... and the little black speck making up the eye.

Now that's all I see when I look at the poster. Haha. :rolleyes:

Whoa! I never noticed it at first but now...all I see when I look at the poster is that creepy looking face too! :eek:

Uhm... I've read all of the replies, just to realize the almost entirety of you fellow IndyFans loved the new poster a lot. But to me the thing is a little different... :(

Sadly, I don't like this poster... and I say "sadly" because it is clear that it will be the definitive one...
Uhm... no... the more I look at it, the more I don't like it... :(

This doesn't have anything to do with the colours, the speculated Photoshop editing or whatever else... I don't like it because of the portraits... the most important thing in a film poster are the portraits of the actors, but, in this new poster, they simply aren't so good to me.

- As somebody else already wrote in one of the first pages of this thread, the portrait of Cate Blanchett makes her seem to be a chinese/mongolian actress... and NOT Cate Blanchett... amen to that...

- The portrait of Karen Allen simply doesn't look like Karen Allen at all...

- The portrait of Shia LaBeouf makes him look much older than he is and, most of all, it makes him look as he was of indian ethnicity (imagine a little darker skin on his face and you'll know what I'm referring to...)

- And then the portrait of Harrison Ford... the number one of them all... well done, except that the mouth looks so unnatural and the left profile of the face and chin is not good at all.

Now, call me a stupid, call me a nitpicker, whatever you want... but this is what I think of this new poster: the teaser one was FAR BETTER...
Drew Struzan is a GREAT artist... sorry but to me this poster is probably the worst he has ever drawn. This doesn't mean it's awful, just that it's mediocre. The only well done drawings are the portrait of Ray Winstone and the image of Indy rushing away from the natives (which is FANTASTIC, by the way).

Anyway... have a look at what I think is a GREAT promotional image, and would have been a GREAT official poster...

darkhorse_adaptation02.jpg

(That was the image from the cover of the comic adaptation of the movie)

P.S. I still think the only good thing about this new "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" poster is the fact that I'm probably the only fan in the world who dislikes it. :D :D LOL!! Well, after all, is a positive thing. ;)

Last edited:

sarah navarro

snake_surprise said:
Looks great, although you should use the first and original Raiders poster in this comparison. The poster you are using here is the 1982 re-release poster.

The original is better for your/our purposes here as it is a portrait pic of Indy.

ROTLAPoster01.jpg
I have a shirt with this on it and everyone tells me Indy looks mexican!:mad:

Matt Holcomb

The Stranger said:
Uhm... I've read all of the replies, just to realize the almost entirety of you fellow IndyFans loved the new poster a lot. But to me the thing is a little different... :(

Sadly, I don't like this poster... and I say "sadly" because it is clear that it will be the definitive one...

This doesn't have anything to do with the colours, the speculated Photoshop editing or whatever else... I don't like it because of the portraits... the most important thing in a film poster are the portraits of the actors, but, in this new poster, they simply aren't so good to me.

- As somebody else already wrote in one of the first pages of this thread, the portrait of Cate Blanchett makes her seem to be a chinese/mongolian actress... and NOT Cate Blanchett... amen to that...

- The portrait of Shia LaBeouf makes him look much older than he is and, most of all, it makes him look as he was of indian ethnicity (imagine a little darker skin on his face and you'll know what I'm referring to...)

- And then the portrait of Harrison Ford... the number one of them all... well done, except that the mouth looks so unnatural and the left profile of the face and chin is not good at all.

Now, call me a stupid, call me a nitpicker, whatever you want... but this is what I think of this new poster: the teaser one was FAR BETTER...
Drew Struzan is a GREAT artist... sorry but to me this poster is probably the worst he has ever drawn. This doesn't mean it's awful, just that it's mediocre. The only well done drawings are the portrait of Ray Winstone and the image of Indy rushing away from the natives (which is FANTASTIC, by the way).

Anyway... have a look at what I think is a GREAT promotional image, and would have been a GREAT official poster...

P.S. I still think the only good thing about this new "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" poster is the fact that I'm probably the only fan in the world who dislikes it. :D :D LOL!! Well, after all, is a positive thing. ;)
I think a Struzan poster is only as good as the reference material that he's provided with. It's possible that the intense -- and unprecedented -- secrecy surrounding "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" meant that Struzan didn't receive as much reference material as he did for, say, "Last Crusade".

No Ticket

Were I to get nitpicky...

1.) I think the skull could be more prominent in the background at the center or lower portion of the portrait... not a full done painting of it but rather like... a shadowy kind of look to it similar to the teaser that fills out all the bottom of the poster under Indy's big head.

2.) Indy running could be smaller to match the warrior/tribe chasing after him in size a little more... then it would be like the skull is overlooking him and the tribe (since it would be centered over them all shadowy like fading into them. If you can get what I mean...

3.) Instead of fading to black... the edges of the poster would be made of stone like the stone you see on the edges on the border. But it would jut out and the ferns at the bottom would still cover the bottom. In other words, instead of just being black it would look like it is part of a stone wall or something to match the others a little better.

4.) The poster would be as "polished" as it is. It would look rougher to match the older look of the older posters in art style.

... but that's being nitpicky. I think it turned out pretty well.

deckard24

The Stranger said:

darkhorse_adaptation02.jpg

(That was the image from the cover of the comic adaptation of the movie)

You're not the only one who isn't crazy about it! The more I look at it, the less I like it! I'm definitely disappointed by the end result, and I agree the Hugh Fleming poster is more exciting and better handled than Struzan's.

Matt I agree, Struzan's work is only as good as his reference material. He's usually top notch with picking out great pics, and coordinating them in the best possible composition. He's occasionally off though, and in this case I think that's sadly the situation. The pic of Karen Allen, Cate Blanchett, Ray Winstone, and Shia are all so-so imo, and they take away from what could have been a great poster. I don't know why he didn't use the pic of Ford walking with the bags slung over his shoulder, that would have been great, especially the headshot.

xVendetta17x

sarah navarro said:
I have a shirt with this on it and everyone tells me Indy looks mexican!:mad:

I think it's the greatest Indiana Jones Poster ever
There's so much detail in his eye's that make the poster brilliant
It's sad that Amsel died so young