Do you view KOTCS as canon?

In your opinion, is KOTCS canon?

• Total voters

Raiders90

Do you view KOTCS as a canon entry in the IJ universe? This isn't about what's factually canon or objectively so, but your own personal views.

Mickiana

I voted yes. Even though it has big shortfalls, I think it does has enough elements to include it in the canon. Indiana Jones being the main one.

I know 'canon' can refer to authenticity, relevancy and authority and it is from this point of view I say CS sorta scrapes it in. I'm in a generous mood at the moment.

Finn

Staff member
Indy's brother said:
It's here to stay, it's canon, whether or not everyone wants it to be.
So-called "headcanon" and official canon are two different things, and this thread is about the former. The OP is pretty clear in that point.

For what it's worth, I've never seen an issue with people having different interpretations of events than what the creators imply or even plainly state out loud. It does turn into one though, if one tries to force feed those views into the general public.

That being said, I had no reason but vote 'yes' as well.

IAdventurer01

For me it's canon, but sort of extended-universe canon. It's an odd classification, but it helped me really embrace KotCS. To me, the core stories are still Raiders, ToD, and it concludes with LC, which is just a terrific ending. We all know that Indy is going to have more adventures, and KotCS is one of them, along with the events of games such as Fate of Atlantis & Emperor's Tomb, the YIJC, and the comics/novels. It keeps good company, and is in my canon, but is still slightly separated from the original trilogy.

kongisking

IAdventurer01 said:
For me it's canon, but sort of extended-universe canon. It's an odd classification, but it helped me really embrace KotCS. To me, the core stories are still Raiders, ToD, and it concludes with LC, which is just a terrific ending. We all know that Indy is going to have more adventures, and KotCS is one of them, along with the events of games such as Fate of Atlantis & Emperor's Tomb, the YIJC, and the comics/novels. It keeps good company, and is in my canon, but is still slightly separated from the original trilogy.

I approve of this approach ,though I personally consider KOTCS the "true" ending of the Jones saga, seeing as it shows Indy finally getting married, which could be interpreted as him retiring from adventuring. So if KOTCS is the last Indy adventure, chronologically, I'd be just fine with it. Though I still dream for at least one more Ford-starring film, but I know now that it is about as likely as George Lucas selling Star Wars.

Oh, wait...

Dr. Gonzo

If Harrison Ford is in a film directed by Steven Spielberg based on the character created by George Lucas, then automatically no matter how much I dislike many aspects of it, it is in my eyes.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, I include it, even though it forces an interpretation of the life of Jones that is chockfull of crystal skulls, since typhus never comes in (as I recall) to the McCoy books.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
Do you view KOTCS as a canon entry in the IJ universe? This isn't about what's factually canon or objectively so, but your own personal views.
Hi, Raiders112390. Happy 2013.:) Just wanted to point out that this topic is the same as your other thread:

Does anyone pretend KOTCS didn't happen?

Since you're prone to duplicating your own topics (most recently just 2 weeks ago), please take some friendly advice: Eat blueberries because they help improve memory. The allmighty egg is good for the brain, too!:D

From the other thread:
Raiders112390 said:
Because you can recognize it as a terrible entry that ruins a lot of aspects of the series and contradicts a lot of things. Indy doesn't act like Indy in this one. The plot is horribly paced; I've no problem with aliens in Indy but the way it was executed was terrible. It contradicted a lot of other great material. To me, the movie happened in another dimension in the Indy-verse.
Curiously, you voted 'yes' in your poll here but in your previous thread, it was the opposite. Even before that you were including "Skull" in your personal canon so may I ask: Will you be changing your mind on this subject again in the future & will you be starting a new thread about it?:confused:
Attila the Professor said:
Yeah, I include it, even though it forces an interpretation of the life of Jones that is chockfull of crystal skulls, since typhus never comes in (as I recall) to the McCoy books.
Well, "Temple of Doom" contradicted "Raiders" so forcing interpretations has been par for the course since '84. For me, EVERYTHING is canon (except the LEGO comic strip/s).:p
Dr. Gonzo said:
If Harrison Ford is in a film directed by Steven Spielberg based on the character created by George Lucas, then automatically no matter how much I dislike many aspects of it, it is in my eyes.
Precisely. Walking out of the theatre with a buddy as teenagers after "Return of the Jedi" on opening day, I kept complaining about the Ewoks & repeating, "That's not Star Wars!".:mad: His consistent reply was, "But it IS." This was an enlightening moment of Zen.

Naturally, I voted 'yes' (and so has 100% of everybody else...so far).:)

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
Well, "Temple of Doom" contradicted "Raiders" so forcing interpretations has been par for the course since '84. For me, EVERYTHING is canon (except the LEGO comic strip/s).:p

Whether you have in mind Indy's apparent boost in linguistic ability a year earlier or his avowed skepticism a year after witnessing the powers of Mola Ram and the Sankara Stones, neither seems that glaring to me. Accounts of the same artifact or a location with contradictory descriptions are harder to finesse. Still, your point stands.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also renders Indy's encounter with the CIA in the Infernal Machine a little tricky, though perhaps IM never directly suggests he hasn't heard of the organization. Still, the details, such as why Indy's CIA status isn't reactivated or some such in '47, are harder to explain.

IndyJames98

IAdventurer01 said:
i agree its an expanded universe story

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also renders Indy's encounter with the CIA in the Infernal Machine a little tricky...

Accepting the Aetherium makes accepting KOTCS a cakewalk. ;)