1926. Abner. Marion.

michael

When I heard that Indy 5 was happening, I was as happy as anybody around these parts.

Harrison Ford in it?! GREAT! Spielberg?! Yes! No Lucas?! Yes!

The fact that the Force Awakens was great got me even more excited. Then I thought about it, is one of the best potential stories one where Harrison Ford isn't even involved??

Do they explore the 9-10 years before Raiders, where he meets Abner Ravenwood and Marion. Is that where one of the best stories and films could come from? It seems absolutely rich with potential. I've always been on the fence about a 'reboot' or a new Indy actor. But that aside, would that not be some awesome story?

Do we just get that in a flashback like Young Indy in the Last Crusade? That'd be fine. I thought we had the perfect the send off in Last Crusade with the sunset. Was amazed that the end in KOTCS topped it (grabbing the hat from Mutt).

Do we get another coda in Indy 5, or is it just the beauty of it that he always has an adventure up his sleeve?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I think it's very unlikely that they're going to lean into the statutory rape angle.

But even if that were not a factor, I think I'd be happier to see an entirely new 1920s story as opposed to engaging in some more <I>Star Wars</I>-style shrinking of Indy's world. We know Indy has a history with the Ravenwoods, but I'm not sure that we need to see that history on-screen.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
We know Indy has a history with the Ravenwoods, but I'm not sure that we need to see that history on-screen.

Unless there was a sort of McGuffin/subplot/motivation where Abner, furious with Indy's cavalier attitude rants out loud in his office about his frustration which is unknowingly overheard by Belloq in a university setting, thereby putting his lifelong antagonist in motion.

Subtly of course.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Unless there was a sort of McGuffin/subplot/motivation where Abner, furious with Indy's cavalier attitude rants out loud in his office about his frustration which is unknowingly overheard by Belloq in a university setting, thereby putting his lifelong antagonist in motion.

Subtly of course.

Well, they are all old friends.

michael

Attila the Professor said:
I think it's very unlikely that they're going to lean into the statutory rape angle.

But even if that were not a factor, I think I'd be happier to see an entirely new 1920s story as opposed to engaging in some more <I>Star Wars</I>-style shrinking of Indy's world. We know Indy has a history with the Ravenwoods, but I'm not sure that we need to see that history on-screen.

Hahaa, I didn't really think about that. But they could easily just change the age and make it work. I doubt any hardcore Indy fans would really care about making her a bit older. I know I wouldn't care.

pre-Doom and post-Young Indy has so much potential.

Z dweller

michael said:
pre-Doom and post-Young Indy has so much potential.
Yes, I agree! (y)

And I do believe this is what we'll get from Disney, eventually.

Whether or not we already see some of that through flashback scenes in Indy 5 is an open question - but surely it will happen in subsequent movies.

Like Attila though, I don't feel we need to delve deeper into how Indy and Marion's romance started.

Mickiana

michael said:
When I heard that Indy 5 was happening, I was as happy as anybody around these parts.

Harrison Ford in it?! GREAT! Spielberg?! Yes! No Lucas?! Yes!

The fact that the Force Awakens was great got me even more excited. Then I thought about it, is one of the best potential stories one where Harrison Ford isn't even involved??

Do they explore the 9-10 years before Raiders, where he meets Abner Ravenwood and Marion. Is that where one of the best stories and films could come from? It seems absolutely rich with potential. I've always been on the fence about a 'reboot' or a new Indy actor. But that aside, would that not be some awesome story?

Do we just get that in a flashback like Young Indy in the Last Crusade? That'd be fine. I thought we had the perfect the send off in Last Crusade with the sunset. Was amazed that the end in KOTCS topped it (grabbing the hat from Mutt).

Do we get another coda in Indy 5, or is it just the beauty of it that he always has an adventure up his sleeve?

I'd love to see a plot or flashback or whatever that brings in Abner. I know he was written out as soon as he was introduced in Raiders, but to see Indy's teacher would be great.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I wonder if down the road post Indy 5, we'll start to get films like that young Han Solo one, which would then open up the possibilities like that of having Abner. I've always been keen for that story. I want Lost Horizon damn it!!!

And I would defs be fine with Disney ageing Marion a few years older than originally intended. It might bother those who are into the Indy Noir flavour but it works for me.

michael

Violet said:
And I would defs be fine with Disney ageing Marion a few years older than originally intended. It might bother those who are into the Indy Noir flavour but it works for me.

I doubt most Indy fans would care.

Look I love the books and Fate of Atlantis and all of that.

But to me the TRUE canon is the Young Indy Chronicles and the 4 films. Everything is free game to use from expanded universe. They don't even mention what her actual age was in the film.

I would like to know, for the sake of argument...if Indy 5 was Fate of Atlantis (the most obvious example of quality expanded Indy canon) and they totally changed characters and the plot...if people would be upset?

Even the most hardcore Indy fan wouldn't be IMO. I know I wouldn't. Another thread...another time.

Raiders90

Violet said:
I wonder if down the road post Indy 5, we'll start to get films like that young Han Solo one, which would then open up the possibilities like that of having Abner. I've always been keen for that story. I want Lost Horizon damn it!!!

THIS. Absolutely 100% this.

Stoo

Violet said:
VIOLET!!! Nice to 'see' you again and hope you are well. Our resident Marion Fan Extraordinaire has returned! :)

Needless to say, you know I'm with you on the lost, "Lost Horizon" Indy tale.
Violet said:
Indeed, she'd probably be older than intended. If the Abner/Marion/Indy story ever gets told (in any format), there's not a snowball's chance in hell that Disney would allow her to be portrayed as under 18.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
michael said:
They don't even mention what her actual age was in the film.

Exactly why Disney can get away with ageing Marion a few years older- more like 5-7 years younger than Indy as opposed to the originally proposed 10-12 years younger. Yes there is the 'I was a child- I was in love' line however that context is changeable. Maybe she just feels stupid for falling for him and blames it on her youth as opposed to being actually a teenager and that her affection for him was childish as opposed to actually being a child. There is an opening to intrepretation.

Stoo said:
VIOLET!!! Nice to 'see' you again and hope you are well. Our resident Marion Fan Extraordinaire has returned!

Needless to say, you know I'm with you on the lost, "Lost Horizon" Indy tale.

Thanks Stoo. Good to be back around these parts. I have been lurking in the background for a while, but now with a new Indy film on the horizon so to speak, certainly had to find right kind of people to chat with.

Off topic, there's some new Marion cosplay photos I'm about to share on here that I'm really excited to show you guys. Just waiting on the old Photobucket to load them. :cool: