Volume Three, The Years of Change

Avilos

I finally got my tax refund. Guess what I am spending part of it on? I have got my priorities straight! :D ;)

tupogirl

Avilos said:
I finally got my tax refund. Guess what I am spending part of it on? I have got my priorities straight! :D ;)

I'm waiting for the cruel stimulus checks they are 'promising'. I also plan on buying some of the new books.

Crack that whip

tupogirl said:
I'm waiting for the cruel stimulus checks they are 'promising'. I also plan on buying some of the new books.

If all goes well, my stimulus check will be in my bank account no later than the 9th (which is also my regular payday), so I intend to finally pick up Vol. 3 then - too late to take advantage of Best Buy's $20 discount in its release week, alas, but oh well. I'm still going through the earlier adventures in the previous volumes, so I didn't actually "need" Vol. 3 on its release day for anything other than fannish devotion and pride ("I made sure to pick up the new DVDs the day they came out").

tupogirl

Crack that whip said:
If all goes well, my stimulus check will be in my bank account no later than the 9th (which is also my regular payday), so I intend to finally pick up Vol. 3 then - too late to take advantage of Best Buy's $20 discount in its release week, alas, but oh well. I'm still going through the earlier adventures in the previous volumes, so I didn't actually "need" Vol. 3 on its release day for anything other than fannish devotion and pride ("I made sure to pick up the new DVDs the day they came out").

We have a decent payday coming this week as well, and I am begging for it for Mother's Day, lol. Of course, the first volume was supposed to be for my birthday last year and I'm still waiting. I'd rather find a good deal than get it on release day, but I just want them, lol. And the boys just got a wii.

Crack that whip

My wallet would like to wait that long, but I want a full refresher on all Indy's adventures prior to seeing the Crystal Skull prior to seeing the Crystal Skull, so I'm picking it up soon, most likely the 9th. I really would have liked to have gotten it already (and saved with the discount), but I'm trying not to spend too much per pay period (and it's not as though I'm ready to dig in anyway; still must get through the War, after all).

If circumstances permit I'll also try to revisit the original versions sometime soon via my ancient VHS tapes of the original broadcasts, but I have only a limited selection, and I also don't know how viewable they are now.

robweiner8

I really think Years of Change has some of the best episodes: Treasure of Peacock's Eye (my favorite episode,) Mystery of the Blues, Tale of Innocence and Hollywood Follies are all very good, imho.

Avilos

I only got $300 from the stimulus check.... I was mistakenly expecting $600...
:mad:

Still the second I saw it added to my checking account I bought the DVDs!
I also get paid this Friday. That $300 will just ease my mind for all the new Indiana Jones stuff I have bought recently and will buy through the rest of the month, including multiple tickets to see KotCS!

phantom train

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom train
* As a footnote, it was interesting that at the end of "Treasure of the Peacock's Eye", it seemed like Indy intended to try to go directy to the U.S. However, since "Paris 1919" takes place chronologically after "Treasure", I guess he decided to use his extensive language skills to take part in the Paris Peace Talks beforehand - this was probably because he needed to make some funds in order to get home, and also because he may have been thinking of getting a job with the S. Department.

Quote:
Originally posted by TalonCard
The transition from "Peacock" to "Winds" is one of the biggest leaps we have to make in the series--Indy's journey back to the states would have been several episodes longer if the third season had been picked up, and presumably would have explained exactly why it took him so long. I'm surprised, what with all the extra stuff Lucas shot to bridge the gap between episodes, that "Winds" doesn't have some dialogue at the beginning of the episode explaining this.

I'm guessing that the reason for this is that since the "Paris 1919" segment of "Winds" was filmed long before TOTPE (even though "Treasure" takes place chronologically before "Winds"), TOTPE may not have happened in L.'s mind when he was coming up with "Paris 1919".
Therefore, there is no exposition at the beginning of "The Winds of Change" explaining what happened.
This is just speculation on my part, but it makes a lot of sense that, since TOTPE was one of the four Family Channel (Cable) 1994-1996 Indy tele-films (and not part of the regular 1992-1993 US TV broadcasts), L. came up with the "Treasure" story long after the "Paris 1919" story, and then when they were editing the episodes into the tele-films for the late 1990's VHS releases, L. decided to retroactively insert TOTPE before "Winds", since, chronologically, it would have to fit there.
I like to think that, though Indy intended to go directly back to the U.S. after speaking to Bronislaw (sp?) on the island at the end of "Treasure", he got side-tracked when he started travelling and heard about the Paris Peace Talks. He wanted to observe the talks since he had fought in the War and had a vested interest in the outcome, and also decided to use his language skills to get a job there so he could get some money to help him with his long trip back to the U.S. This are just my thoughts, I know, but it does make sense.

Stoo

Originally, the order was supposed to have been this:

New Guinea, March 1919
Bombay, April 1919
Paris, May 1919
Princeton, May 1919

Question about "Winds of Change": Does Paris still start of with a radio broadcast over actual archival footage?

A great companion piece to this episode is 1990's, "A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia".
Ralph Fiennes plays T.E and Siddig-el-Fadil (of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) plays Feisel.

Flannery10

Stoo said:
Originally, the order was supposed to have been this:

New Guinea, March 1919
Bombay, April 1919
Paris, May 1919
Princeton, May 1919

Question about "Winds of Change": Does Paris still start of with a radio broadcast over actual archival footage?

Yeah, it's a pitty that Bombay segment never got made. I really would have liked to see a better conclusion to the Indy/Remy friendship.

Yep, the opening credits are still acompanied by that footage. I don't know if it was extended in any way.

By the way, extension. I watched Mystery of the Blues last night, and it really blew me away. Awesome music, great humor, good fight in the warehouse, and fianally the Harrison Ford segment in top quality. The opening credits were a little extended, but that's really nothing extraordinary, compared to all the other cuts and extensions in the other episode.

phantom train

I also just watched "Mystery of the Blues" in Volume 3 for the first time in 12+ years. Incredibly well-done episode, and, as with the other episodes on this volume, I was extremely impressed by the incredibly clear picture quality.
Some thoughts:

* I remember watching this on U.S. TV back in Spring '93 - at the time, I thought it was strange but very cool that H. Ford was actually making a cameo appearance on a TV show. It was great to see Ford as IJ again, since, back in '93, most IJ fans (like myself) didn't think there would be another IJ film at that point.
I also remember thinking that I much preferred his bookends to the George Hall ones.

* As others have mentioned, the very beginning bookend scene was extended. However, other than that, this seems identical to the 1993 U.S. TV broadcast - the H. Ford bookends are all there, and there don't seem to be any edits to the film itself. Very nice - that means it's one of the few tele-films on the DVD's that hasn't had anything edited out (only edited in).

* Great story - I like how it was basically in two parts - the first part dealt with Indy learning how to play jazz with S. Bechet as the teacher, and the second part dealt with the mur. of Colosimo, the restaurant owner.

* Though I somehow doubt E. Ness was as much of a uber-nerd in real life as he was portrayed here, his character was great, and made for a lot of comic relief in an otherwise serious episode dealing with prejudice, corruption, etc.
One of the funniest scenes with Ness was when he went with Indy to the bar/speakeasy to listen to the music wearing his stupid beanie hat. Even funnier was when he lost his beanie and fell over himself (and others) trying to get it back - hilarious.

* It was interesting to see Hemingway again, and it was a nice continuity link to the Italy 1918 episode.

* The production values for this show must have been very high - you really felt like you were watching Chicago in 1920 - the "L" train in the background (or in some cases foreground) of a scene, the antique cars, clothes, etc. The elaborate funeral parade for Colosimo was especially impressive, as were the late-night scenes outside the clubs.
As when I first watched the YIJC, I am still surprised that Lucas put this much $ into a network TV show.

robweiner8

phantom train said:
I also just watched "Mystery of the Blues" in Volume 3 for the first time in 12+ years. Incredibly well-done episode, and, as with the other episodes on this volume, I was extremely impressed by the incredibly clear picture quality.
Some thoughts:

* I remember watching this on U.S. TV back in Spring '93 - at the time, I thought it was strange but very cool that H. Ford was actually making a cameo appearance on a TV show. It was great to see Ford as IJ again, since, back in '93, most IJ fans (like myself) didn't think there would be another IJ film at that point.
I also remember thinking that I much preferred his bookends to the George Hall ones.

* As others have mentioned, the very beginning bookend scene was extended. However, other than that, this seems identical to the 1993 U.S. TV broadcast - the H. Ford bookends are all there, and there don't seem to be any edits to the film itself. Very nice - that means it's one of the few tele-films on the DVD's that hasn't had anything edited out (only edited in).

* Great story - I like how it was basically in two parts - the first part dealt with Indy learning how to play jazz with S. Bechet as the teacher, and the second part dealt with the mur. of Colosimo, the restaurant owner.

* Though I somehow doubt E. Ness was as much of a uber-nerd in real life as he was portrayed here, his character was great, and made for a lot of comic relief in an otherwise serious episode dealing with prejudice, corruption, etc.
One of the funniest scenes with Ness was when he went with Indy to the bar/speakeasy to listen to the music wearing his stupid beanie hat. Even funnier was when he lost his beanie and fell over himself (and others) trying to get it back - hilarious.

* It was interesting to see Hemingway again, and it was a nice continuity link to the Italy 1918 episode.

* The production values for this show must have been very high - you really felt like you were watching Chicago in 1920 - the "L" train in the background (or in some cases foreground) of a scene, the antique cars, clothes, etc. The elaborate funeral parade for Colosimo was especially impressive, as were the late-night scenes outside the clubs.
As when I first watched the YIJC, I am still surprised that Lucas put this much $ into a network TV show.

Mystery of the Blues is definitely one of my favorite Young Indy's. I love the Ford bookends. The whole thing was really well done.
"Thinks can't always be the way you want, but sometimes they are";)

Stoo

Agent Spalko said:
We didn't need to see that. We can PRESUME that he learned how to fire a gun at some point without having to show or explain it.
Shame you can't use this line of thinking when it comes to the sub diving in "Raiders".:rolleyes:

phatnom train said:

I love Ness and Hem in this show! "Where'd you get this cracker?" My favourite part with Ness is when he calls the harbour-master.:D
The making-of footage for the funeral scene gives you a great idea on how much work was put into some of the shots. Excellent work!

I'll be picking up my copy of Volume 3 in about a week. Can't wait to see the full, "Princeton, 1919"!(y)

phantom train

Quote:

"For Netflix purposes: which disc is the "Blues" episode on?"

"Mystery of the Blues" is on Disk 6.

Just finished watching "Scandal of 1920" and "Hollywood Follies" on the DVD set. Both were great episodes - my reviews (SPOILERS):

"Scandal of 1920"

- Great story, and excellent music/singing as well. G. Gershwin and the depiction of "Tin Pan Alley" was nice to see - I liked the impromptu creation of songs.

- As always, the costumes, cars, etc. were painstakingly done so that you really felt like you were watching NYC in 1920.

- The depiction of NYC's art/literary crowd (both in the apartment party and at the luncheon with the "Vicious Circle") was interesting, and probably very accurate.

- Hemingway's brief cameo was funny - I liked how he had to keep shushing up the large critic sitting in front of him at the performance.

- It was good to see Sidney Bechet again, if only briefly. I liked how this fit into the continuity with "Blues".

- The end scene when the three women pushed IJ's face into the cake (and told him off) was priceless. I also liked how everyone laughed at him after this happened - hilarious.
Even though you root for the character in most of the episodes, you really felt like he deserved this - ha ha

- It was nice to see A. Heche in this episode (obviously in an early role). I saw "Scandal" when it was first broadcast in '93, and I had never heard of her at that time.

"Hollywood Follies"

- I liked how this took place immediately after "Scandal" (per the scene when IJ was talking to G. Gershwin in the movie theatre at the beginning). This furthur reinforces my opinion that these tele-films are best seen when viewed in chronological order.

- I actually enjoyed this much more than I did the first time around in the mid-'90's. Since I first saw this, I've become interested in how films are made, and this "behind the scenes" view was great.

- The scenery was incredible in this episode - I especially liked the dawn exterior shots of Claire's house on the beach (with the flying seagulls), as well as the dusk scenes when John Ford was shooting the western in the desert, with the sun setting on the dunes.

- In the scene when IJ went to confront E.V. Stroheim in his home (while Stroheim was swimming in his pool), there was a chorus singing in the background - the piece being sung was a variation of the same somber piece that was sung at the end of one of the WWI trench warfare episodes. Nice.

- Toward the end, the stunt when IJ went to jump on the horse and instead ended up under the wagon was great, and was an obvious homage to his future stunt in "Raiders" - Nicely done.

- This was a bittersweet episode, because you knew it was the last one.

It's too bad that the show didn't continue, because if it had we would probably have seen IJ's first meeting with Belloq, Professor Ravenwood (and maybe Marion), etc.
It would be great if George would go back and make more episodes of this show taking place right after "Follies", but I doubt that will happen. Since the show did so poorly the first time around I doubt he would want to take the risk. Furthermore, it wouldn't be the same without SPF, who now probably looks (and is) too old to play IJ in his early 20's.

Last edited: