King Kong and KotCS

JP Jones

As I was watching Peter Jackson's King Kong and I noticed some simularities.

*When Jack Black meets the sailer Jack has a fedora and the sailer has a marlon brando cap, and they're on the loading dock for a boat!

* The skull's that the natives have on their neckleses have big eyes and an elongated skull!

* The shot of bruce baxter when he presses up agaist the rock in the brontosarous chase is the same shot as mac in the rocket sled scene!

I Think there is 2 more, but I can't remember.

DocWhiskey

Skull Island and Akator are both lot civializtions. Or thought to be until the creepy natives appear.

Jonesy9906753

mr.kotcs said:
As I was watching Peter Jackson's King Kong and I noticed some simularities.

*When Jack Black meets the sailer Jack has a fedora and the sailer has a marlon brando cap, and they're on the loading dock for a boat!

* The skull's that the natives have on their neckleses have big eyes and an elongated skull!

* The shot of bruce baxter when he presses up agaist the rock in the brontosarous chase is the same shot as mac in the rocket sled scene!

I Think there is 2 more, but I can't remember.

over analyzing

Perhilion

JP Jones said:
I thought that shot looked familiar!

Dr Bones

...and the cliff top chases featuered awful effects and CGI in both fims that took me out of the film.

Perhilion

I've seen worse. You know, I really don't get all the complaining about that type of CG in KOTCS. If it had been made back in the 80s, then it would have been a matte painting, basically the same thing, and it would have looked worse. I think some people are just determined to hate any CG in an Indy movie.

Darth Vile

Perhilion said:
I've seen worse. You know, I really don't get all the complaining about that type of CG in KOTCS. If it had been made back in the 80s, then it would have been a matte painting, basically the same thing, and it would have looked worse. I think some people are just determined to hate any CG in an Indy movie.

For me, it's really about what type of "illusion" you subscribe to. If they'd made that scene back in the 1980's, I'm sure it would have had less effects in it, but it probably would have been filmed on some generic circuit of dirt track and comprised of 80% head shots (which makes it seem somewhat "small" scale). Shooting that same scene today means that you can open the scene out, via wider shots, and integrate the action with the environment it's supposed to be taking place in. This of course doesn't mean that the new methods are better, just that there is a lot of give and take with both.

So ultimately, where you'd perhaps get more of an illusion of reality with the old style, KOTCS gives it an illusion of scale (but some degree of "reality" is lost). It's horses for courses I suppose, but the real trick is to find the perfect balance where it feels like Indiana Jones/Harrison Ford is actually fighting/acting atop a huge Amazonian cliff face/waterfall etc. Neither method has quite perfected that illusion yet (IMHO).

Dr Bones

Perhilion said:

I don't mind CGI at all, just do it well. Kong and KOTCS has mostly very good CGI, but the particular scenes I mentioned were simply not up to today's standard of CGI, even when compared to the rest of the film.

Somtimes CGI is used because with CGI we can do anything. I think the lack of restraint that this sometimes brings has diminished the inginuity and gritty realism of old school film making and I feel a lot of movies are the worse for it.

I accepted the matte paintings and cruder fx back in the day, because that wass the best that could be done and was used sparingly. I don't feel CGI is used in the same way and I also don't feel that it was the best that could be done for the films is those scenes.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

kongisking said:
Oh, go nuke a fridge...:p

Now that scene was more realistic....:p

kongisking

That Brontosaurus Stampede was spectacular. Who gives an ape turd if the effects were less-than-flawless? As Roger Ebert wisely put it in his review, "special effects do not need to be convincing if they are effective, and Jackson trades a little realism for a lot of impact and momentum."

Stoo

There are homages to Englehorn's ship, the S.S. Venture, in both "The Lost World" (Jurassic Park II) and "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow"!;)

Cole

'The Lost World' is practically a re-make of 'King Kong'.......but with a dinosaur.

Probably an underrated movie given its reception.

Cole

It doesn't match the first movie, but I enjoy 'The Lost World' and I know I'm not the only one.

If nothing else, it is a well-crafted movie.

Dayne

Cole said:
It doesn't match the first movie, but I enjoy 'The Lost World' and I know I'm not the only one.

If nothing else, it is a well-crafted movie.

I know, I know. I own it and watch it as well. :D And I do enjoy it for nostalgic purposes, I just don't think it's underrated. Oh and don't even mention the third one. :sick:

JP Jones

Dayne said:
I know, I know. I own it and watch it as well. :D And I do enjoy it for nostalgic purposes, I just don't think it's underrated. Oh and don't even mention the third one. :sick:
I find, I have to be in the right mood to watch "The lost world". I mean ,it's a fun movie, but it's not like if I watch it at 2:00 PM on a tuesday in the fall it will be the same as if you see it at 9:00PM on a saturday in june. Right now, I'm in the mood for some Raiders.:cool: