Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Samson's Hairbrush

Indyfan82

Anyone else see this great VeggieTales movie? :)

It's chock full of Indiana Jones references/parodies from all three movies- predominantly Raiders of the Lost Ark scenes, but there's also definitely some references to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as well as some other more obvious ones to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And we learn the important lesson that God gives us the power to love everyone- even our enemies! If any Indiana Jones fans out there do children's church or teach Sunday School for the kids- this is the video to watch! :whip: :)

Indyfan82

I've only seen the first one- haven't seen the second yet. When I get a chance, I'd love to re-view the first and view the second so I can fully review both.;)

Indyfan82 said:
I've only seen the first one- haven't seen the second yet. When I get a chance, I'd love to re-view the first and view the second so I can fully review both.;)

Come on man! Give us what you got and come back with more later...

Don't tease us!

Indyfan82

Well, here's the Wiki page for the first one, if you want to read the plot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Cuke_and_the_Search_for_Samson's_Hairbrush

Mainly, Larry the Cucumber is the Indiana Jones character, with analogues of Marion Ravenwood and Belloq. There are a number of references to "Raiders of the Lost Ark", as well as at least a few to "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I really can't recall much more than that now.

Indyfan82 said:
Mainly, Larry the Cucumber is the Indiana Jones character, with analogues of Marion Ravenwood and Belloq. There are a number of references to "Raiders of the Lost Ark", as well as at least a few to "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade". It's been a long time since I've seen it, so I really can't recall much more than that now.

I'd rather hear it from a fan than read some advertising...

Can't wait for your review!

fenris

I actually have both DVDs. My niece gave 'em to me as gifts because she knows I'm such an Indy fan.

It's basically a kids show with weird and funny ways of trying to be Indy-ish. It's not really anything more. I just like having 'em as part of my Indy collection... Sitting with my other Indy stuff.

Goodeknight

goodeknight said:
Rocket, I don't know how fired up you should get over this. Veggie Tales are cute cartoons, but they are for a pretty young audience. Good lessons for young, up and coming Christians, though. Know you have kids, but I don't recall ages. As I said, younger audience for these. Not Telletubbies little. Maybe Mister Rogers little.

Well, we all got lost in the Telebubbie fervor...maybe Indyfan82 can hook us all up!

Indyfan82

Hey- I finally got around to watching "Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Noah's Umbrella". It was a lot of fun!:)
You can read a good synopsis of the story at the Wikipedia page here.
But I will try to share a few of my favorite Indy-inspired moments while it's still pretty fresh in my head.
As you probably guesed from the title, this adventure involves Larry the Cucumber again starring as Minnesota Cuke and looking for Noah's Ark initially, but then finding out about Noah's Umbrella- an artifact that the villian Rattan believes will give him the power to control the weather and thus the world. (This part reminded me some of Walter Donovan's beliefs about the Holy Grail giving eternal life versus what Indy finds out about what that really entails when he meets the Grail Knight. Maybe a closer comparison would be Mola Ram's desire to rule the world through finding all the Sankara stones- thus, a slight reference to "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom". If you want to see more of those, as well as a number of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" references, just watch the first Minnesota Cuke video- "Minnesota Cuke and the Search for Samson's Hairbrush".)
Keep in mind that this is a Christian video series aimed at young kids, but it still has some fairly perilous moments for Minnesota Cuke in the spirit of Indiana Jones.
And it makes quite a few references to "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" and definitely to "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" as well. (This video was released in 2009 so it was right around when the last Indy movie came to theaters and then to video.)
The opening scene is reminiscent of the opening scene of LC where Indy is a teenager with the Boy Scouts on a field trip. We see a young Minnesota in a Boy Scouts-type group exploring a tree house, and he breaks off from his friend, who reminds me of Indy's friend from the opening of LC. He fights to keep a group of Scallions from stealing an artifact called the Muskie of '47. It plays out similarly to the movie, especially when Minnesota swings around the tree on a tire swing and snatches the artifact away, much like Indy swinging on a flag on the train.
And of course, Minnesota loses the artifact and then has his famous hat land at his feet as it falls off one of the bad guy's heads. Then we see the adult Minnesota putting the hat on his head and pursuing the Scallions for the same artifact- just as the adult Indy retrieves the Cross of Coronado in "Last Crusade".
Minnesota (as Larry had been in the opener) is struggling with facing public humiliation in the face of obeying God- and not only do kids learn about Noah and his faithfulness to obey God- through this they learn a lesson in having confidence in God.:)
The other big Indy moment particularly was seeing Minnesota swinging on vines- that definitely had to be a throwback to KOTCS.
Minnesota also goes to Mexico to pick up Julia (who is essentially like Marion Ravenwood) and the Mexico scenes also reminded me of KOTCS.
And I love the scene with Minnesota singing "Arise and Shine"- a classic Sunday School song with a lot of truth in it.
"The Lord told Noah to build Him an arky, arky- The Lord told Noah to build Him an arky, arky- Build it out of gopher barky, barky- Children of the Lord. So, rise and shine and give God the glory, glory- rise and shine and give God the glory, glory- rise and shine and give God the glory, glory- children of The Lord."
I love this song- great one to teach kids today for any Sunday School teachers out there. ("Didn't you guys ever go to Sunday School?"- Indiana Jones in "Raiders of the Lost Ark":D - haha- loved this line from Indy in "Raiders of the Lost Ark". And just so you know- no offense is meant to any non-Christians or anything. I just thought that was a funny line.) And as a Christian myself who is also an Indiana Jones fan- not to mention a VeggieTales fan in general- these two videos are really fun for me to watch.
Of course, I've also worked with teaching Sunday School for first graders, so it probably helps if you like kids too.:)
And of course, I can't forget the other LC comparisons- in order to find the Umbrella, Minnesota must go through three tests- much like Indy has to go through to find the Holy Grail.
I think those are the main things I can recall. But as I said before, both videos have a ton of Indiana Jones references and Indy fans of any religious beliefs will probably find these fun to watch just for all the Indy homages. And of course, Silly Songs with Larry- you can't beat that.:cool:

kongisking

Ah, VeggieTales...it may have been blatant Christian propaganda, but I remember it fondly nevertheless. I should hunt this film down.

Indyfan82 said:
The opening scene is reminiscent of the opening scene of LC where Indy is a teenager with the Boy Scouts on a field trip. We see a young Minnesota in a Boy Scouts-type group exploring a tree house, and he breaks off from his friend, who reminds me of Indy's friend from the opening of LC.
Oh boy...!

Is his friend, (Herman) a gourd?

Montana Smith

Indyfan82 said:
Keep in mind that this is a Christian video series aimed at young kids

And there I was thinking it couldn't get any worse after reading the words "VeggieTales". :rolleyes:

I wouldn't watch it even with a mouse in a house or a fox in a box.

Indyfan82

And there I was thinking it couldn't get any worse after reading the words "VeggieTales".

I wouldn't watch it even with a mouse in a house or a fox in a box.

Hmm, but I think if Sam I am could convince his friend to try green eggs and ham- and he found that he liked it when he did- maybe you will like this when you try it too.;)
And even if you don't, that's okay. I know some people just don't like VeggieTales and may not appreciate hearing the Biblical-based messages.
I wanted to make sure to point out that it was a Christian video so that Indy fans of any or no religious persuasion could keep that in mind if they choose to watch it.
If you don't mind learning a little about Samson and the great strength God gave him in the first video, and Noah and his confidence in God to obey Him by building the Ark in the second video, then give it a try. There usually is a Bible verse quoted at the start of each video and the second one does have a classic children's Sunday School song in it as well. But I think VeggieTales does a good job of promoting positive Christian values (which most other religions would agree with as well) without being too heavy-handed and didactic. [Though of course I know some may disagree with that assessment.]
Anyway, I thought it was worth mentioning for Indy fans- even if you just skip through it, there are some key moments that are very much inspired by the Indiana Jones movies worth watching. ("VeggieTales" in general spoofs a lot famous movies, books, TV shows, etc.)
And for me as a follower of Christ and a fan of Indiana Jones, this is a really fun combination. I love watching VeggieTales anyway and especially when they do a version of Indiana Jones, I definitely have to check that out!:) :cool: