Indy IV should have been Indy V

muttjones

So I got the dvd of kotcs and watched it last night (only saw it once at the cinema) and I thought of something that may have really contributed to why it felt so weird and different when watching.

What I thought was that KOTCS ended everything. It made it really hard to continue the series (even more then the sunset shot in LC) because it tied up every loose end. Indy got the girl forever plus a son. Also the adventure was his most epic of the four. None of them top aliens on scale (also the waterfalls, fridge nuking etc.)

But the thing it has done wrong is introduce all these new characters that have a history with Indy that we have never glimpsed or heard of because it is all set in the 19 years after LC.
Bringing in Mac did not work out because he kept on referencing past occurrences with indy and how much he "knows him". This then made the audience (or at least me) clueless to what was happening seeing as there was no immediate chemistry we could relate to.
Having Charles Stanworth was strange because he was exactly the same character as Marcus Brody but with a different name and face. If perhaps Stanforth had a different personality (like a really hard, straight talking, no nonsense boss type) it really open your eyes to the fact that times have changed for the better and for the worse.
Harold Oxley seemed like a character that could work but with him being disoriented by the skull's power till the very end of the film annoyed me because all the other characters talked about the history with him without him ever confirming or agreeing (or disagreeing) with any of it because his character was no more than just the crystal skull mailman.
Mutt Williams was for me the best written into the story character because he was instantly likeable and had no history with indy until it was revealed he was his son.

What I put forward here is that if Indy IV was not KOTCS but was in fact a completely separate adventure that gave more back story and history to the characters that surrounded Indy in KOTCS. It would be set before KOTCS and would have Mac tagging along so that in KOTCS there would not have to be his constant stating of the history him and indy have.
KOTCS would then become Indy V and would be able to end the series of films because that is what it does anyway.

Because we cannot change the fact that KOTCS is Indy IV. It ruins all possible ways to continue on with the characters like Oxley (completed his task and life long ambition) and Mac (is dead in "the space between spaces"). Only Mutt, Marion and Stanforth can continue on. Mutt (he is the most likeable and appealing character to most generations that watch the movies) and Stanforth (is still Dean at the college so must be). Marion would not work in coming along for the adventure because she is now the mother of the Jones family and so it would not be ideal for her to tag along just because she's Indy's wife (it would be strange to have her kidnapped again because it would have happened in KOTCS, Indy V and partially in ROTLA).

The only thing I can think of would be to have Indy V as a more Mutt centred adventure seeing as he is free with nothing holding him back from doing anything. Indy would of course be there but as an even lesser role than in KOTCS (which did drop slightly compared to the original trilogy).
Mutt would get the girl because Marion would not be there (though it would be interesting to have Indy almost cheat on Marion but stop at the last second because he is a changed man where as in the original trilogy he wouldn't have thought twice).

Now I've said my bit you can discuss it, attack it whatever.

Cheers.:D

By the way, I do like Indy IV yet I think it is a bad film (figure that one out :rolleyes: ).

Major West

Yeah, if we'd had a forth film in '98 and KOTCS now, it would have been nice I agree.

Imagine if it went like this:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Temple of Doom
The Last Crusade
The Fate of Atlantis
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Benraianajones

Although I think KOTCS's ending suits the movie, as a franchise ender, I don't think it is the best. Last Crusade I think works better, though obviously, on a time scale it couldn't be the last one.

I do wish they'd made a Fate of Atlantis movie in the 90s.

Darth Vile

muttjones said:
So I got the dvd of kotcs and watched it last night (only saw it once at the cinema) and I thought of something that may have really contributed to why it felt so weird and different when watching.

What I thought was that KOTCS ended everything. It made it really hard to continue the series (even more then the sunset shot in LC) because it tied up every loose end. Indy got the girl forever plus a son. Also the adventure was his most epic of the four. None of them top aliens on scale (also the waterfalls, fridge nuking etc.)

The Indy movies are fairly self contained (similar to James Bond). There is no story arc that spans the movies. So although, because of Ford's age, they'd really have to set a Indy V after the events of KOTCS, they are still free to tell any story and use any set of new or returning characters.

Lynx

I completely disagree. Although, yes, Indy finally got the girl permenantly, he didn't pass the torch to Mutt. He snatched back that hat at the last minute. It's showing he's not done being Indiana Jones yet. :hat:

monkey

Darth Vile said:
The Indy movies are fairly self contained (similar to James Bond). There is no story arc that spans the movies. So although, because of Ford's age, they'd really have to set a Indy V after the events of KOTCS, they are still free to tell any story and use any set of new or returning characters.

I agree here. And I am glad that someone else brought up the "B" word here with regards to Indiana Jones.

The bottom line here is that you can 'continue' the Indiana Jones saga any way you want. The artificial restrictions are just that..........artificial!

Do you want more 1930's Indiana Jones Adventures? No problem.

Do you want to have "Mutt" Adventures continuing on into the 1960's? Again, no problem.

Keep in mind the fact that: ............Indiana Jones is a fictional character.