Indiana Jones 5: July 19, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_Flagg

Attila the Professor said:
Co-signed, emphatically.

A scene of him with students on a dig, or giving a lecture in some global capital, or visiting a museum abroad (maybe to repatriate an artifact!), would be perfectly welcome, but keep him out of school.

Seeing him with students at a dig site is my preference (though the other options you mentioned would both be preferrable to yet another classroom scene.) The dig site scenario puts Indy in BOTH of his elements at once, and it's great way to launch right into the adventure. If I recall correctly, that's how one of the Indiana Jones novels started (I'm thinking it was the one about the unicorn's horn, but I haven't read any of the novels in many, many years, so I may be wrong.)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Randy_Flagg said:
Seeing him with students at a dig site is my preference (though the other options you mentioned would both be preferrable to yet another classroom scene.) The dig site scenario puts Indy in BOTH of his elements at once, and it's great way to launch right into the adventure. If I recall correctly, that's how one of the Indiana Jones novels started (I'm thinking it was the one about the unicorn's horn, but I haven't read any of the novels in many, many years, so I may be wrong.)

Our summary and that at the Indy Wiki say that Unicorn's Legacy opens with the underwater river in French caves bit, but maybe there's a dig once it picks up five years after that scene. You may be thinking of Interior World, which begins with Indy and Marcus as part of a team conducting research on Easter Island.

The dig is my preference too, as it gestures towards the reality of archaeology a bit and could handily provide younger, possibly female, sidekick, but either of the others could, at least, offer a clean break between an introductory sequence and the main adventure, if that structure is used.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
The way I see it is that the college scenes are similar to the Bond scenes in IM6 HQ before he is assigned to every mission. Personally, I like them stractually although I find Broadbent's character uninterested.

Randy_Flagg

Our summary and that at the Indy Wiki say that Unicorn's Legacy opens with the underwater river in French caves bit,

Ah, that's right. But I think he was there with a student (or group of students, or possibly classmates... or I may be completely wrong. Feel free to ignore me... haha.)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Randy_Flagg said:
Ah, that's right. But I think he was there with a student (or group of students, or possibly classmates... or I may be completely wrong. Feel free to ignore me... haha.)

No, you're very right. Classmates, in this case.

Here's what TheRaider.net's timeline has for that prologue:

? Still a graduate student in France, Indy goes on a dig with Roland Walcott and other students. Indy discovers an underwater cave with Ice Age paintings and clay animals inside. Walcott learns of this and tries to steal the glory for himself, but disappears into an underground river during a struggle. He is presumed dead.
(Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy - Bantam Books)

And, for what it's worth, here's Interior World:

Spring 1929:
After spending a few weeks attempting to decipher the rongo-rongo tablets on Easter Island, Indy is contacted by Marcus Brody, who needs his help on an urgent mission. Brody's brother-in-law, Hans Beitelheimer's fascination with a local myth of a ghost ship and is led on an adventure which takes him to the dreamlike"interior world". Indy eventually escapes, ending up on Liberty Island in New York City.

Our summaries for Peril at Delphi and Dance of the Giants likewise mention academically sanctioned digs; good on MacGregor.

Raiders90

Speaking of the novels (well, not directly but you guys get what I mean), while they probably (definitely) will not use the novels wholesale, would you like if a moment or two (like an action sequence or set piece), or perhaps even a MacGuffin, from one of the novels found its way into the new film? I think the Deidre Campbell saga, if you will, under a new name of course, could work.

Randy_Flagg

Raiders112390 said:
Speaking of the novels (well, not directly but you guys get what I mean), while they probably (definitely) will not use the novels wholesale, would you like if a moment or two (like an action sequence or set piece), or perhaps even a MacGuffin, from one of the novels found its way into the new film? I think the Deidre Campbell saga, if you will, under a new name of course, could work.

I only read a few of the books ("Genesis Deluge", "White Witch", "Unicorn's Legacy," and "Dance Of Giants.") I wasn't a huge fan of any of them, and I don't think the action scenes are quite big enough for an Indy film. But, some of the set pieces could work well. "Genesis Deluge," for example, had a scene in Hagia Sophia, which has movie potential, I think.

I'd be more in favor of them borrowing stuff from Fate Of Atlantis. I'd love for Sophia Hapgood to become a canonical Indy-girl.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Pale Horse said:
Few would disagree.

My only reluctance is that I'd hate to see Fate of Atlantis, the graphic adventure, be superseded by a film which would, of necessity, have a lot less material in it. That's a silly concern, admittedly.

Could also just elevate Sophia to filmic status, I suppose, either in a Ford-led film or once we have a new guy. They could even tell the story of the Jastro Expedition; Iceland's huge these days, after all.

dr.jones1986

My only reluctance is that I'd hate to see Fate of Atlantis, the graphic adventure, be superseded by a film which would, of necessity, have a lot less material in it. That's a silly concern, admittedly.

Could also just elevate Sophia to filmic status, I suppose, either in a Ford-led film or once we have a new guy. They could even tell the story of the Jastro Expedition; Iceland's huge these days, after all.

Even huger after defeating England in the Euro cup. On a serious note Iceland has become quite a popular country for Americans (and the outside world in general) and it would be a mysterious unused local for an Indy film. Even in the 60's, which is the likely decade for this film it would still be a place that would be rugged and remote for the type of adventure story must of us want. Viking mythology/culture would fit nicely into Indy's world and has yet to be explored in any of the films.

Last edited:

Randy_Flagg

Oh, I wouldn't want them turning Fate Of Atlantis into a movie. I just meant Sophia Hapgood should join Indy in a new adventure on screen (maybe they could reference the time they found Atlantis, just to get all of us die-hard fans excited.) I said before that I think the big problem with turning FOA into a movie is that certain things that work well in a video game would just seem downright silly in live-action. The whole idea of Atlantis having a roof and an airlock, for example, is a bit ludicrous (to say nothing of the robotic crab rafts....) It's not as if the Atlanteans would have designed the city with the intention of it one day being underwater.

I also think some of the action scenes from FOA could be borrowed for an new adventure. A hot air balloon sequence has some potential, for example.

And yeah, Iceland would be a great Indy location.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Bringing Sophia as a foil to Indy is a solid story to be sure. No need to make FOA a thing. Disney could play the tension between them as a strong female lead is currently their mantra; it side skirts the creepy old man young girl issue because as a foil she challenges him; and it allows for a villain to provide additional conflict.

Plus, she's somewhat canon for the hardcore fans yet not at all isolating to the plebes who aren't worthy of this forum or true Indy history and backstory.

Randy_Flagg

Okay, I nominate Julianne Moore to play Sophia. She's not too young, so it avoids the "creepy" factor, yet she's still attractive, has the red hair (because, you know, wigs and/or hair dye are very expensive... haha), and she's a solid actress, worthy of an Indy film.

Lambonius

Personally, I'd hate to see them do Fate of Atlantis as a film. While I certainly agree that the story would have made a good movie, its time has passed. It's perfect as the adventure game it is, and I just can't see any film adaptation living up to the greatness of the story as told by the game. Also, for God's sake, do something original. Fate of Atlantis had its moment; it was the obvious choice for another Indy McGuffin after the Grail, but now it's time for something new.

Also, Julianne Moore may have been a great Sophia 10 or 15 years ago, but at this point she's A) too young to be a believable love interest to today's Harrison Ford (not to mention the fact that Indy is married,) and B) too old to be a believable love interest to a younger 1920s-early-30s actor playing Indy. The only way it could work is if they recast Indy during the Ford era and set the movie during World War II (which would be a change from the timeline of the game, which was immediately pre-war.)

Randy_Flagg

Lambonius said:
Personally, I'd hate to see them do Fate of Atlantis as a film. While I certainly agree that the story would have made a good movie, its time has passed. It's perfect as the adventure game it is, and I just can't see any film adaptation living up to the greatness of the story as told by the game. Also, for God's sake, do something original. Fate of Atlantis had its moment; it was the obvious choice for another Indy McGuffin after the Grail, but now it's time for something new.
So we're all in agreement.

Also, Julianne Moore may have been a great Sophia 10 or 15 years ago, but at this point she's A) too young to be a believable love interest to today's Harrison Ford (not to mention the fact that Indy is married,)
She's 56, which is a bit less than 20 years younger than Harrison. It's definitely not unheard of. As you said, Indy is married now, so she shouldn't be a current love interest, but she could be someone from his past.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say it's not going to happen, but it's fun to speculate.

Duaner

Randy_Flagg said:
Okay, I nominate Julianne Moore to play Sophia. She's not too young, so it avoids the "creepy" factor, yet she's still attractive, has the red hair (because, you know, wigs and/or hair dye are very expensive... haha), and she's a solid actress, worthy of an Indy film.

As an alternative and someone closer in age to Ford, might I suggest the hottest red-headed grandma out there? Jane Seymour.
46c4d6fd655ffe2435245eda457529f3.jpg

Randy_Flagg

Jane Seymour is a good choice in terms of looks and age, definitely. But her voice irritates me, so I'll stick with Julianne Moore. ;)

Of course, if they really were going to have Sophia in the movie, they wouldn't need to limit the casting to a redhead. Changing hair color isn't the most difficult thing for a make-up artist to do.

Getting back to more realistic concerns-- I just hope Marion doesn't tag along for the whole adventure.

Duaner

Randy_Flagg said:
I'll stick with Julianne Moore. ;)

I have no objection to Julianne Moore though. The age thing is not really an issue to me.

You probably recall the two working together in a brief scene 23 years ago:

fugitive-id-3.png

Randy_Flagg

Duaner said:
I have no objection to Julianne Moore though. The age thing is not really an issue to me.

You probably recall the two working together in a brief scene 23 years ago:

Ha! I totally forgot about that. Cool.

Z dweller

Randy_Flagg said:
Iceland would be a great Indy location.
I'm not sure.

Iceland's striking, otherworldly landscapes lend themselves perfectly to sci-fi movies, no doubt, but not necessarily to an Indy adventure, IMO. Unless Marshall's statement that Indy 5 will be "a continuation" of KOTCS means more of the alien angle, which I very much doubt.

Also, a lot of action heroes have already been to Iceland, including Lara Croft and James Bond, no less, so I'd steer well clear of it.
Even parts of TFA were shot on location there, and it's getting to the point where if you've visited Iceland you can easily recognize landmarks.

I remember watching the opening scene of "Prometheus" and thinking: oh yeah, that's Dettifoss.

Status
Not open for further replies.