The World without KotCS, a better place?

Are you glad the film was made?

• Total voters

Montana Smith

Finn said:
I think that's actually an indirect yes.

If it weren't for KOTCS, I doubt there would have been action figures. I never liked the vintage Kenner Indy figures, so I wouldn't have been looking for dioramas of those.

I wouldn't have gone searching for a social network dedicated to Indy, but I did find The Raven which had a vast thread on customs. It all grew from that.

Finn said:
Eleven now... pathetic, I know.

But hey, I'm a guy who was brought up and trained in a distant monastery by warrior monks. These days I'm using all I've learnt to go out at night to fight crime. Only, there's very little crime in Finland, so I had to pick up something to pass the time.

I think the length of time I spend here, and the activities (or antics) I get involved in, and the people I've come to know, make it harder to escape, even though that seems the most rational course of action.

It's the curse of Spalko. If I weren't checking in at this institution regularly I would be wondering what was going on behind its walls. I want to know, even if it burns out my eyeballs. :eek:

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
I think the length of time I spend here, and the activities (or antics) I get involved in, and the people I've come to know, make it harder to escape, even though that seems the most rational course of action.
For such an antisocial guy, you are strangely chatty, lemme say that.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
For such an antisocial guy, you are strangely chatty, lemme say that.

The internet is a great means of communicating, while keeping people at arm's length. Smiffy has an ability to bite his tongue, which is something his alter-ego finds more difficult in the real world. If I took his muzzle off he'd probably end up cruising round the banana islands. ;)

Montana Smith said:
It's the curse of Spalko. If I weren't checking in at this institution regularly I would be wondering what was going on behind its walls. I want to know, even if it burns out my eyeballs. :eek:

There are a few who still inspire that sort of curiosity...:D

I am glad to have a Chachapoyan Idol and some of the more inspired items.

Were there any decent Crystal Skull items?

Indy's Brother's Skull is by far the best...although it had to be the (apropos) result of a singular obsession.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
There are a few who still inspire that sort of curiosity...:D

A few. Yes. :whip:

Rocket Surgeon said:
Were there any decent Crystal Skull items?

Action figures are action figures. They have a life beyond the less than inspirational films...that inspired them. (But even Hasbro's Akator Temple was a rehash of the 1980s M.A.S.K. Boulder Hill. Like movie, like toy).

Rocket Surgeon said:
Indy's Brother's Skull is by far the best...although it had to be the (apropos) result of a singular obsession.

It's the cream of the crop. (y)

Udvarnoky

I'm one of those people who thinks Indy4 diminished the series a little, yet I hardly think it would be better if it never existed. Crunch the numbers and its existence is unquestionably a net gain. My reasons:

1) New original Drew Struzan and Hugh Fleming Indiana Jones artwork. This, this, this, this, this, this, this, this, and this don't exist without Indy4. That cannot be overstated.
2) A much-needed resurgence in Indy merchandising that I at least pretty greedily consumed. At the very least the fourth movie earns its existence for all the new LEGO sets that resulted, including the ones based off the original trilogy.
3) A new John Williams Indy score. The weakest, I'd say, but still.
4) The privilege of getting to take my little cousin, who I steered toward die-hard Indy fandom in preparation, to see an Indiana Jones movie in the theater.
5) The greatest Windows error sound of all time. (For the record, it's Ray Winstone saying, "Jonesy, I'm gonna be alright.")

Given the opportunity to prevent the movie's existence with a time machine, the above would give me serious pause.

AlivePoet

Personally, I enjoyed watching Indiana Jones in the theatre, and the build-up we had for a year and a half easily exceeds any anticipation I've ever felt for a movie. Since that time, however, I've become more indifferent to the film, and view it as inferior to the classics. Nevertheless, overall, I'm glad we got to have something. We'd be disappointed that it never happened if we didn't get this film.

So, my vote is yes. While it was disappointing, and I presently am indifferent to the film, the journey leading up to its release was a good ride.

Stoo

Raiders112390 said:
This one has a poll so it's better.
Raiders112390, did you notice how AlivePoet didn't get upset when someone else provided a link to a pre-existing thread?:D
AlivePoet said:
Right, thanks for pointing that out Udvarnoky. Mods, good call on the merge. Forgot about this thread. :hat:
The only problem with the merge is that the poll question doesn't match with the new thread title.* At a casual glance, it appears that 76% feel that "Skull" should NOT have been made...but in actual fact, 76% are HAPPY that it happened!

*Kind of like Quebec in 1990, where the vote question was worded in a way that those who DIDN'T want to seperate from Canada had to vote, "Yes". (Remember those days, Poet?)

---
The 2nd vote was mine and I voted a BIG FAT, "Yes"!:p (As in: I was "glad the film was made.")

No Ticket

Although I think I only spent about a year actively here in anticipation to the film, I actually was loosely following it online since around 1998 or 1999. I used to frequent IndyFan.com and some other sites I forget the names to now for any news about a fourth Indiana Jones.

I continued to enjoy the trilogy like always and yes the ride was insanely exciting from around 2007 until release of KOTCS. But it certainly left me a little dissapointed.

I want to say I am mostly indifferent to it, as I have loved Indiana Jones since I first saw them at age 4 in 1988. However, since KOTCS came out my interest in the series has fallen to an all time low. Of course I still love the original trilogy, but I've seen it more times than ANY other series of movies (even Star Wars) to the point where it's lost a lot of it's impact over the past 20 years or so I've been watching them. I guess part of what kept me going was the question of what a fourth adventure would be like and then I let my imagination run wild. The end result didn't match it, or more accurately perhaps, it answered my question and ceased the imagining. And lately I haven't seen much in the way of new Indiana Jones material (books, games, anything really)... so there's been nothing to really talk about.

Somehow KOTCS closed out that chapter on my life, in a way. I honestly don't expect a fifth will actually get made (though even now I still hope, but not like the same kind of hope as #4 yielded). Even if it did get made, Harrison is realistically almost too old for real now, definitely too old to truly recapture the spirit of the originals. So maybe that's why I feel that way, as I have little interest in someone else playing the part.

All I know is, it makes me a little sad to really think about it like that. But at the same time, I am still here obviously, even if it's severely less frequently. :hat:

Dr. Gonzo

No Ticket said:
I want to say I am mostly indifferent to it, as I have loved Indiana Jones since I first saw them at age 4 in 1988. However, since KOTCS came out my interest in the series has fallen to an all time low. Of course I still love the original trilogy, but I've seen it more times than ANY other series of movies (even Star Wars) to the point where it's lost a lot of it's impact over the past 20 years or so I've been watching them. I guess part of what kept me going was the question of what a fourth adventure would be like and then I let my imagination run wild. The end result didn't match it, or more accurately perhaps, it answered my question and ceased the imagining. And lately I haven't seen much in the way of new Indiana Jones material (books, games, anything really)... so there's been nothing to really talk about.

Somehow KOTCS closed out that chapter on my life, in a way. I honestly don't expect a fifth will actually get made (though even now I still hope, but not like the same kind of hope as #4 yielded). Even if it did get made, Harrison is realistically almost too old for real now, definitely too old to truly recapture the spirit of the originals. So maybe that's why I feel that way, as I have little interest in someone else playing the part.

This. This is exactly how I feel. Well put.

Stoo

No Ticket said:
And lately I haven't seen much in the way of new Indiana Jones material (books, games, anything really)... so there's been nothing to really talk about.
There is A LOT to talk about. The material doesn't need to be "new" all the time. (Can ya dig it, No Ticket?:cool:)

If you have finally started to read the books, then Mazel Tov, because you were one of those who used to be only interested in the Harrison Ford movies!:p
No Ticket said:
Somehow KOTCS closed out that chapter on my life, in a way. I honestly don't expect a fifth will actually get made (though even now I still hope, but not like the same kind of hope as #4 yielded).
So what? You can still talk about the Indy things you like!:whip:

Forbidden Eye

No, I really don't think so.

I think everyone can get on board that the best thing Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did was that it introduced Indiana Jones to a new generation and made the original movies even more popular. It also brought in a wave of toys, video-games, novels, comic books etc. and it was quite fun to see Indy back in mainstream coverage and in everyday pop culture. I think its better to live in a world it exists (people who say the franchise is "dead"; imagine had they'd feel had Crystal Skull not come around).

While I'll admit the movie has its flaws, I have fun watching it and accept the the bad with the good. I also think its a better movie than others give it credit for and would place above something similar, say Tron: Legacy, but I guess we just expect the absolute best from Dr. Jones.

Le Saboteur

I came very close to walking out on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. It wasn't even The Fridge that did it. No, it was that stupid snake and quicksand incident that tempted me to cash in my chips and leave.

I, for one, was interested in an Indy 4, but am not glad that Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was made. Snow job, cash grab, phoning it in: these all come to mind when considering how it came into existence.

Sir Galahad

The reason I voted neutral was that while I'm glad the film was made and I liked it, there were some things from the movie I didn't like that IMO would've been better if they were either cut or changed.

I still consider it part of the Indy franchise.

Brooke Logan

I had to vote no. It's not that everything about it is bad, and I liked it better the 2nd time I saw it than the first time, but I have to say it kind of ruined the memories of the first three for me. I thought Last Crusade was a wonderful ending for the movies as a trilogy, and the fourth film just didn't feel right to me, mainly the marriage between Indy and Marion at the end and I wasn't crazy about the whole "she had a son with Indy and didn't tell him" thing.

I'd rather Mutt had been Marion's with her husband. And somebody Indy mentors, rather than having Marion keep that from him all those years.

Orellana

I know what some of you are talking about when you say the script SUCKS, but one has to admit, this movie had some epic scenes. I really love when Indy is being chased by the natives down the pyramid, that was cool. the end really had some power. On the other hand the beginning is horrible-ish.

Dr.Jonesy

Orellana said:
I know what some of you are talking about when you say the script SUCKS...On the other hand the beginning is horrible-ish.

Weird how you gave this film a B+.
:p

Personally, the scripts for Indy III and IV were great. II is good.