references to the movies in young indiana jones

Blue Jay

Hi,
the purpose of this thread is to collect all the findings in the chronicles that somehow reference the movies.

Yesterday i saw "My first Adventure" the egypt part for the first time since it aired in Germany 15 years ago...

I thought it was really cool.
Anyway, i noticed when they arrived at the dig site of howard carter the workers were chanting the same song the workers in raiders sang when they opened the well of souls.
That was quite a clever idea of Mr. Lucas :gun:

Hope you people join me in my hunt for more references (y)

CU

Adamwankenobi

At the beginning of that same episode, Indy climbs out a school window like he does in Last Crusade.

Also, in "Journey of Radiance", Jiddu Krishnamurti mentions the Shiva god (first mentioned in Temple of Doom) when discussing world religions.

Flannery10

Good thread!

In Spring Break Adventure Indy shouts: "It belongs into a museum" when he fights for the Jackal with Demetrios. Same thing in the intro of LC.

Avilos

In the Phantom Train of Doom, Indy learns to say "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go along".

Here is a more general historical one - THe events of WWI directly lead to WWII.
"Winds of Change" shows how the Germans were made the scapegoat for the whole Great War. Resentment for that was used by Hitler and the Nazis. So in a way all the WWI episodes setup and act as a prequel to Indy later fighting the Nazis.

The series also showed the Russian Revolution, which eventually lead to the founding of the Soviet Union. Which plays a big part in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. So Young Indy was very thematically consistent with the films. Much more than some people give it credit for.

Adamwankenobi

In "Passion for Life", Indy encounters a snake in British East Africa and remarks "A snake! I hate snakes." However, this could be viewed as an error, as he is 9 years old in the episode, and in the Last Crusade prologue he is 13, and doesn't seem to fear snakes at first. I'm sure this was just an oversight by the writers.

However, my retcon is that Indy always hated snakes, but it was the events of the prologue of Last Crusade that make him outright fear snakes.

Finn

Staff member
Adamwankenobi said:
However, my retcon is that Indy always hated snakes, but it was the events of the prologue of Last Crusade that make him outright fear snakes.
That doesn't work however, as Indy is clearly shown nonchalant towards the critters just minutes before the opening chase in LC when he casually brushes one aside from Herman's lap... and even calmly says "It's only a snake."

So it's likely a plot hole, and one more argument against those who think that young Indy is not for TRU- I mean sorry, nothing.

Adamwankenobi

Finn said:
So it's likely a plot hole, and one more argument against those who think that young Indy is not for TRU- I mean sorry, nothing.

A true fan doesn't pay attention to The Raven member known as Sankara. ;)

metalinvader

Finn said:
That doesn't work however, as Indy is clearly shown nonchalant towards the critters just minutes before the opening chase in LC when he casually brushes one aside from Herman's lap... and even calmly says "It's only a snake."

Yeah it's a plot hole but I see it as he simply out grew his fear and the got said fear back.So somewhere between 9-12 he outgrew it,Was that the only contact between snakes and Indy in the show?Can't remember!!:confused:

He encounters snakes again in treasure of the peacocks eye, and hardly notices, but then again, I think its because only the viewer can actually see em, he reaches into a hole to get the box with the diamond in it, not realising he narrowly misses brushing past a snake, Also in Hollywood Follies Indy sees a snake out in the desert while filming and reacts in a very temple of doom sort of way, screaming out SNAKES! and jumping up into the back of a cart. Funny.

Other references? Well the whole Dad issue thing is established, with the rift between father and son set up perfectly in travels with father.

Then theres using the whip in spring break adventure, where just before he rubs his hand across the scar he recieved during his first whipping experience in Last Crusade.

Also, hes studying in the university of Chicago, though wheater or not this can be classed as a reference,

Oh, and one of my favourites has to be the establishment of Indys fear of flying, which makes some sense considering Airplanes had just been invented, its somewhat alleviated in Attack of the Hawkmen, but it really puts new meaning into Indy's look of sheer terror in Temple of Doom where those pilots jump ship. I'm guessing he at least tried to get over it for Last Crusade.

THeres more I'm sure of it... I'll go away and think..

indyfan85

Not a young indy fan myself, but I had to chime in

Mystery of the Blues, intro & outro, Harrison Ford cameo. :hat:

Best reference to the movies I can think of!

Adamwankenobi

In one of the early Corey Carrier episodes (I forget which one at the moment), Indy tells someone "Trust me", a line he says in Raiders.

Flannery10

Adamwankenobi said:
In one of the early Corey Carrier episodes (I forget which one at the moment), Indy tells someone "Trust me", a line he says in Raiders.

I think he said that more than once, but the one I remember is "Perils of Cupid", when Indy asks Sophie to come with him to the ice and she doesn't think it's a good idea.

Avilos

"Journey of Radiance" setups up his interest in Occult practices. Then in "Masks of Evil" Indy encounters the supernatural for the first time. Whether or not Indy believed that really was Dracula or an actual Vampire, or maybe he tried to explain it away somehow, that event surely solidified his interest in the Occult and supernatural rituals.

Stoo

Blue Jay said:
Anyway, i noticed when they arrived at the dig site of howard carter the workers were chanting the same song the workers in raiders sang when they opened the well of souls.
That is my favourite homage in the entire series.

In Kenya, Henry Sr. and Medlicott greet each other with their
Oxford cheer just like the tank scene with Marcus in ?Crusade?.

When Indy and Remy enter the Indian temple in ?Peacock?s Eye?,
a portion of music (and the lighting) is the same as the sequence
in the temple of Chachapoyan warriors from ?Raiders?.

(Then, of course, there?s the obvious ?Star Wars? reference in
the Austria episode, ?The sewer was a really wonderful idea.
What an incredible, new smell you?ve discovered.?)

Adamwankenobi

In "Spring Break Adventure", when he is fighting Demitrius near the end, he grabs a whip, and before he attacks the guy, he touches the scar on his chin that he got in the prologue of Last Crusade, signifying that he doesn't want the same thing to happen again.

Blue Jay

Just saw the passion of life and i noticed in the paris segment that the sound effects during the bar fight (the punches) are the same typical sound as they were used in the movies