CGI in KotCS [Pre-release discussion]

Indie House

Whilst not by modern defenition, the morphing used in Last Crusade could be considered CG in the sense that the interpolated images between the stages of decay are in fact computer generated.

Certain folks are worried about the use of CG in the new film and it has actually already been used by it's predecessors...

:hat:

Mike Dowswell

STATEMENT:

For every time I say something negative about the film, I want to come back and say something positive. I try really hard to be as constructive as I can.

PETROL EXPLOSION IN THE JUNGLE NEXT TO TANK THING:

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS...and to me feels 100% real. The colour on this shot is superb, the greens of the jungle and the oranges of the fire ball / smoke. It really feels like 1) we are in a real jungle. 2) It’s a real petrol explosion...reminiscent of the past that we all know and love from say Raiders. I can't wait to see this entire sequence.

explosion.jpg

sandiegojones

I can't believe there's a thread for this!!!

There's not nearly as much CGI in this as you think. The plane shot is not CG. The wherehouse uses set extensions (instead of a paintings). Since the mid 90's, film stock improved and provided better clarity and contrast. With the trailer being transferred to HD it may look "digital" but all of the effects shots are pretty seamless in my opinion. Plus Kaminski has a sleek style.

I'm beginning to hope that everyone complaining here has a rotten time at the movie on May 22nd and that I enjoy every second of it!! (y)

Indy Smith

Sorry, i think of some of you guys are taking this way too seriously, gtting disheartened over a couple of bits of fake looking CGI. As if we've never had that before in the series? I mean it was pointed out great with the biplane stuff in LC and the Temple of Doom Water tower being spilled.

M.C.

in this trealer there is cgi in almost every shot ! cgi whip, cgi back round, cgi part sets etc..

NonStop

Not that worried about it. Its the polished feel that throws everyone off. Even the shots from the old films feel more polished,. So thats why. Anything that looks really bad will get fixed in the final film.

spiralout

I can guarantee that the majority of people who complain about CGI don't know what's a practical effect, a miniature, CGI, composited or a matte painting. The first compulsion is to label any effect under the blanket-term "CGI".

Sankara

Yes, there is too much CGI in it. Nobody wants Jump'N'run-Action. The Whip-Scene looks like Spider-Man to me. BUT: Indiana Jones is not a superhero.

This was NOT a stunt! It's not possible to run, crack the whip to the lamp and swing.

Indiana Jones needs REAL stunts. Like Lucas and Spielberg sad in Vanity Fair. Keep the action believeable. But this scene is not believeable.... :(

Ska

He jumped out of a crashing plane with a Chinese boy and a broadway singer in a raft...landed on a snowfilled mountain...and ended up in India.

If he can do that, he can swing from a lamp...even at 60.

sandiegojones

Sankara said:
Yes, there is too much CGI in it. Nobody wants Jump'N'run-Action. The Whip-Scene looks like Spider-Man to me. BUT: Indiana Jones is not a superhero.

This was NOT a stunt! It's not possible to run, crack the whip to the lamp and swing.

Indiana Jones needs REAL stunts. Like Lucas and Spielberg sad in Vanity Fair. Keep the action believeable. But this scene is not believeable.... :(
It's totally possible. Please. It's just a f@&ing movie.

Sankara

Right! This is the worst scene of all Indiana Jones-Movies. This was over-the-top.That's one reason why "Raiders" and "LC" are better.

In my opinon is the Whip-Scene not as over-the-top like the "Jump-out-of-a-plane"-Scene.

Indiana Jones NEED real stunts. I'm very glad that Lucas and Spielberg sharing my opinon.

I guess we will see more real stunts in the final movie.

And let's pray that Shia is not Indy's son and Hurt is not playing Abner.

sandiegojones

SKAbatula said:
He jumped out of a crashing plane with a Chinese boy and a broadway singer in a raft...landed on a snowfilled mountain...and ended up in India.

If he can do that, he can swing from a lamp...even at 60.
Love that scene! it's fun, which is what these are about (not fanboy wetdreams).

OmegaSeamaster

Frankly, I didn't have any issues with the CGI in the trailer except for the chase scene along the cliff.

It reminded me of those old toys from the early 80s where you'd drive a plastic car against a background that would scroll past you.

AHegele

Most everybody has a misconception of the term CGI.

CGI is computer generated image. That means an object or scene that was created from the ground up on the computer.

Most of the things people mention are computer enhanced images (erasing safety harnesses for one).

And the fact that many of us are boggled by and are questioning whether particular shots in the trailer have CGI or not (the plane, the whip, etc.) means that they did their job whether or not it was enhanced practically or digitally.

Most likely i think some of us feel it looks more digital all together because this is the first time we've seen Indy in HD.

metalinvader

AHegele said:
Most likely i think some of us feel it looks more digital all together because this is the first time we've seen Indy in HD.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Personaly,I think the trailer looks beautiful.Of course it's going to look cleaner and more digital,This is 2008..Not '81,'84 or '89.

Zorg

If you guys want crappy-looking CGI in a big-budget film, see the James Bond movie "Die Another Day".

The CGI or computer enhanced images in the KotCS trailer is all top-notch, it isn't a bit worse (if not vastly superior, either) than in any big effects-laden movie of the last couple of years.

When seen in context, as a part of the whole, in the finished movie, we won't be paying as much attention to some little detail. At least I won't. And I hope that come May 22 everyone could just sit back and enjoy the movie, not overanalyzing every single little insignificant detail. Sorry, but I think that's just ruining all the fun.

SterankoII

Indiana Jones needs REAL stunts. Like Lucas and Spielberg sad in Vanity Fair. Keep the action believeable. But this scene is not believeable....

I agree with that if he actually made it into the back of the jeep, but he missed! If he were any other modern hero like Ethan Hunt he would have made it! That's what sets Indy apart!

Do people really think the shots of the temple look bad? Because I thought they looked great. The temple, the pyramid, spiral staircase all looked real to me. The only reason I even know they're CG is that I've seen photos of the set and that's the only way possible to bring it on screen.