Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

DiscoLad

It was like Christmas, I saw that Rocket had posted and I was filled with joy and excitement to see what wise words he had to share.
Oh wait... That's a lie. ._.

I.M.J.

Tomb Raider Underworld. It was free on the PSN for PS+ members, so I'm giving it a run through. I gave up on Tomb Raider years ago during the PSOne era when the series was steadily declining in quality. Tomb Raider II was it's peak for me, and I hated TR III. I dropped it for a while and came back with TR Revelations, but never finished it. After that I didn't play anymore on the PSOne, skipped every PS3 release and wouldn't have tried this PS3 game one if it wasn't free.

That being said, it's not a bad game. It's still no Uncharted, the camera isn't very good and the character graphics look like they need more polygons for a PS3 game, but it does have some neat exploration moments and Lara isn't stuck to "square fields" like she was on the PSOne.

It's an okay game, but when I'm done with it, I'm not necessarily going to run out and by the other PS3 releases of Tomb Raider.

Ska

I.M.J. said:
Tomb Raider Underworld. It was free on the PSN for PS+ members, so I'm giving it a run through. I gave up on Tomb Raider years ago during the PSOne era when the series was steadily declining in quality. Tomb Raider II was it's peak for me, and I hated TR III. I dropped it for a while and came back with TR Revelations, but never finished it. After that I didn't play anymore on the PSOne, skipped every PS3 release and wouldn't have tried this PS3 game one if it wasn't free.

That being said, it's not a bad game. It's still no Uncharted, the camera isn't very good and the character graphics look like they need more polygons for a PS3 game, but it does have some neat exploration moments and Lara isn't stuck to "square fields" like she was on the PSOne.

It's an okay game, but when I'm done with it, I'm not necessarily going to run out and by the other PS3 releases of Tomb Raider.

I was quite pleased with Underworld (minus the spiders...I hate spiders). I thought that the settings/locales were great and expansive. It really felt like Lara was lost among huge ancient ruins. I especially liked the first underwater level when it felt like you had the entire ocean to explore. Really impressive.

I beat it and traded it in after completion. But I kinda wish I would have kept onto it, as I could see myself playing through it again. It was a big step in the right direction for TR (enjoyed Legend on the PS2 too), although it seems the creators are stepping in a whole other direction for the next installment.

Le Saboteur

2012 is upon us, and with it a whole slew of new games. Is there anything in particular you're looking forward to? Aside from Uncharted: Golden Abyss, I'm looking forward to these three.

Dig this for more gnarly snowboard action.

The Drifter

Le Saboteur said:
2012 is upon us, and with it a whole slew of new games. Is there anything in particular you're looking forward to?

I'm looking forward to Kingdoms of Amular and The Darkness 2 tomorrow, and later this year I have Resident Evil 6, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed 3 in my sights.

Oh, I'm playing through Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood at the moment.

Finn

Staff member
The Drifter said:
I'm looking forward to Kingdoms of Amular
Considering I'm a massive sucker sucker for these kinds of games, Kingdoms of Amalur is certainly on my radar as well. Likewise, Mass Effect 3 which is out in a month. Considering I've also managed to avoid Skyrim thus far, these three with the rest of my life will likely be keeping me busy far past the summer.

Which means that my backlog of games of lesser content (though not quality) is expanding yet again. New Vegas, my personal GOTY The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex did exactly the same to it last year. And I'll likely have to sneak in a replay of the second in somewhere, considering it's apparently getting some serious new content added into it in April when the X360 version comes out. Best of all, it'll be free of charge to those who already own it, though at this point I could almost give CD Projekt some of my hard-earned monies voluntarily.

And what comes to those titles of "lesser" content, well... Alan Wake's finally due for PC this month and I know I'll have to check it out. And despite Remedy's not in the helm of Max Payne 3, it still looks like some nice, escapist fun to lose yourself into. And to complete the trio of grim-looking modern men with guns, there's also the fifth Hitman, subtitled Absolution.

These just from the top of my head... my poor, poor backlog.

The Drifter said:
Oh, I'm playing through Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood at the moment.
I'm currently taking in the sights of Revelations. Contentwise, it appears bit of a rush job, considering most of the stuff is recycled from Brotherhood and there seems to be tad less of it. But in turn, I think Constatinople is the best-designed city we've seen in the series so far. In total, a fun entry though I'm already looking forward to the future of the series.

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
Considering...these kinds of games, Kingdoms of Amalur is certainly on my radar as well.

I've glanced at it. Doesn't look that interesting. Which could stem from my dislike of R.A. Salvatore; or more precisely, my intense dislike for Drizzit Do'Urden.

Finn said:
Likewise, Mass Effect 3 which is out in a month.

I thought about getting on board with Part Two, but was far too irritated by a.) the ultra fake looking characters and b.) my bitter disappointment in Dragon Age 2. Whoever decided to set an epic/high/whatever fantasy game in a single dull and drab city should be sent packing post haste.

Finn said:
I'm currently taking in the sights of Revelations. Content wise, it appears bit of a rush job, considering most of the stuff is recycled from Brotherhood and there seems to be tad less of it. But in turn, I think Constatinople is the best-designed city we've seen in the series so far. In total, a fun entry though I'm already looking forward to the future of the series.

After a disappointing second outing, I avoided Brotherhood & Revelations despite the rather excellent trailers for both. I was afraid it would be another half-hearted travelogue, and from the sounds of it I was right.

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
I've glanced at it. Doesn't look that interesting. Which could stem from my dislike of R.A. Salvatore; or more precisely, my intense dislike for Drizzit Do'Urden.
It's nowhere near the top of my list either, but I know myself and thus can safely say I'll end up playing it sooner or later. That might be a while though, considering I've still managed to avoid experiencing Skyrim. (Which has the dev tool kit out for modders today, meaning the game will be one hell of an experience couple of months from now).

Le Saboteur said:
I thought about getting on board with Part Two, but was far too irritated by a.) the ultra fake looking characters and b.) my bitter disappointment in Dragon Age 2. Whoever decided to set an epic/high/whatever fantasy game in a single dull and drab city should be sent packing post haste.
The novelty feelings I had for the ME franchise wore off somewhere midway the 2nd game. Which is kinda shame, since the first one was something new and worth experiencing. The storytelling's still rather good for video game standards so I guess that's the sole reason why I'm still on board this vehicle. It'll be my summer blockbuster.

Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said about DA2. It's a game that screamed a quick cash-in from the start with extremely short development cycle and whatnot. And yeah, it definitely was a swift kick in the nuts to everyone who liked the first outing and hardly anything that could attract any kind of new base. ME's showing light symptoms of that syndrome as well since it apparently tries to be a mixup of two genres whose core fanbases are pretty much the polar opposites. I'm certainly comfortable with both, but I do have a minor dread that ME3 will leave me wanting for something more. The production values seem to be in order though, so I guess I'll be having happy fun time with it, but nothing to glee over.

Apparently, they've released a couple of DLC adventures for DA2 that try to amend those faults the core game had somewhat, but considering you still have to mire through that borefest to get to experience them - pass.

Le Saboteur said:
After a disappointing second outing, I avoided Brotherhood & Revelations despite the rather excellent trailers for both. I was afraid it would be another half-hearted travelogue, and from the sounds of it I was right.
If you didn't like ACII, then the formula's probably not for you as a whole. Brotherhood in my opinion is nowhere near a bad game but a rather solid showing, maybe the best, most complete entry in the series so far with plenty to do and see. Revelations... well. While it isn't as blatant cashcow as DA2 mentioned above, I do feel it could certainly have benefited greatly from more time in development.

So yeah. Expanding from my last post, maybe there isn't a game in this year's horizon I'd feel truly excited about, just some that hold my interest because of rather well-executed past outings - but there'll be a plenty of titles coming out regardless, so there are good odds that I still find something worth some genuine praise.

Finn

Staff member
Mr. Schaefer, I'd give you some of the loose monies I have rolling in the corners here (damn maid has missed spots again), but... I already did. Sorry.

Looking forward to the game!

Le Saboteur

Finn said:
If you didn't like ACII, then the formula's probably not for you as a whole.

I liked the concept of playing a Renaissance Era assassin, but the idea that you, as Desmond, were simply experiencing the past lives of your ancestors to avoid that pesky subject of murder-for-hire was irritating. Had you actually been a zealot the story wouldn't have felt as forced and you wouldn't have had to suffer through those ridiculous "training sessions" where Desmond comes into his own as an... assassin.

How outré! The assassins are the good guys and those pesky Templars are villainous vivisecting villains! In all seriousness though, the lack of strong stealth mechanics turned me off. You could slaughter patrol after patrol, and the town watch would eventually disappear. Had the designers thought to possibly double and triple the guard depending on how careless or cavalier you were with the body count, it might have held my interest longer.

Still, the recently announced third outing has potential primarily because we can indulge in a bit of Last of the Mohicans-like savagery against the British Empire.

We'll see. Frankly, I have more hope in the latest incarnation of the Hitman series from IO Interactive even though they've diminished some of the appeal by bringing the setting Stateside.

I've only barely scratched the surface of SSX because of this...

Yes, Arkham City. I'm about six months late to the party, but I had forgotten that I pre-ordered it. Rocksteady has really captured the feel of what is must be like to be Batman. Tapping Paul Dini's talent in crafting the story is another huge plus. Hopefully it isn't over as quickly as Arkham Asylum was.

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
In all seriousness though, the lack of strong stealth mechanics turned me off. You could slaughter patrol after patrol, and the town watch would eventually disappear. Had the designers thought to possibly double and triple the guard depending on how careless or cavalier you were with the body count, it might have held my interest longer.
Wait. Are you saying that simply because the game doesn't enforce a certain style of play to you but simply offers it as an option, it's enough to turn you off?

Because I don't see anything that's inherently wrong in the game's stealth mechanics. Sure, the game allows you to turn Ezio into a stabhappy mass murderer with little to no consequence, but it's also certainly possible to complete the game by shanking only those required to further the narrative. I know I definitely play with the latter style even if the only real reward is self-satisfaction due to being able to pull it off.

I do agree with your gripes about the game's overall narrative structure however. You being not actually the guy you spend most time with but another guy in the future who's reliving his genetic memories is a rather silly concept and the game could do without it.

On the other hand, while I do think it hurts the story, I still can't help but admire the unusual stance it takes with metagaming (as I've already stated somewhere in this thread). The way it explains away those usual video game conventions such as HUD, reloading the game and regenerating health as part of the Animus interface IS rather clever.

---

But that's enough of that franchise at least as long as AC3 rolls out. So onwards. To Mass Effect 3.

It is kind of sad to state that with little under 10 hours invested, the game's turning out to be exactly as I predicted. Something's off, as I'm certainly not feeling the same glee I had when playing part one or the early stages of the second outing. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game... but it still lacks something - as if there was no soul to the game. It certainly does have me wondering what the hell is happening in the game business these days when people realize they may have a winner IP in their hands. All of a sudden, this mysterious thing called "streamlining" happens and the writers start overdosing on the Rule Of Cool.

Yeah yeah, I get it, you want to bring it out to those "wider audiences", which means making it more approachable, but does nobody ever consider that at the same time they're clearly mooning those who like more meticulous gaming, who in this case are those who made it so popular in the first case.

And oh, no need to point out the irony. Despite the rant above I'm still playing it, so... I guess there's my answer.

---

In other news, I was finally able to take a good look into Alan Wake considering it was only lately released on PC. And considering I'm still holding out on Skyrim, it definitely was the most delightful new thing I've played this year. While that one-trick pony gameplay mechanic utilizing a combination of standard shooting with puzzles that involve light doesn't quite hold its novelty all the way to the end, the setting and storytelling are nothing short of charming. If that's your thing in gaming, I can heartily recommend taking a look at it.

---

And oh, The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition is wee over a month away. Did I already mention that if you grab the original release before this one comes out, they'll give you all the extra content that comes with this one as totally free DLC?

C'mon, am I seriously the only one here who talks about this game? If so, I'm slowly starting to think there's something wrong with me.

HJTHX1138

- PC

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Soulstorm - Having hunger pains because I recently started the tabletop hobby and since there's only one store in my area about 80 miles away and all I have are Space Marine models (I want Dark Eldar :( ) and I just BARELY get the rules . . . so I play this every once in a while.

Wish there was a fantasy version/mod.

- 3DS

I have an Ambassador thing, so I got a bunch of NES/GBA titles for free. Engrossed in Fire Emblem, Wario Land 4 and Metroid Fusion

Dynasty Warriors: Samurai Chronicles - It's really quite fun running around a big battle map, juggling a million things at once and then giving your tired thumbs a break by listening to cutscenes in nothing but Japanese for like 9 hours between missions.

Resident Evil: Revelaitions . . . I mean, Revelations (Demo) - Suprisingly good. I might get it. It plays like the old ones, startled me and kept me on my toes too, so it's a survival horror game yet again . . . thank god. This time the 3D is actually worth keeping on. Graphics change dramatically and I found myself more engrossed.

Currently waiting on:

- Bioshock: Infinite

- Diablo III
Goodsport said:

You lucky son of a . . .

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
HJTHX1138 said:
there's only one store in my area about 80 miles away
While I do agree that there's certain charm in purchasing stuff directly from street level stores, in the age and day where you can order a pizza from the Internet you are aware that there are alternatives, right?

HJTHX1138

Finn said:
While I do agree that there's certain charm in purchasing stuff directly from street level stores, in the age and day where you can order a pizza from the Internet you are aware that there are alternatives, right?

Well yes, but I can't get a game running without another player with an army and a codex and all my local stores only play things like Magic or whatever. So as long as I'm there for a game, why not just buy it there . . .

Everytime I go, I end up playing a game and if I don't know what I'm doing, I get help from someone who does :p .

Last edited:

The Drifter

Started on Silent Hill: Downpour yesterday. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I adore slow-paced survival-horror.
Will post impressions after I beat it.

Last edited:

HJTHX1138

The Drifter said:
Started on Silent Hill: Downpour yesterday. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I adore slow-paced survival-horror.
Will post impressions after I beat it.

Been curious about that myself.

Anybody try the HD remakes?