Indy and his media.

Exulted Unicron

I was thinking about something at work. Does anyone here think Indy would have watched any movies or TV of his era? would he have gone to the theatre? would he have listened to the radio?

if so, what would he watch or listen to?

Henry W Jones

Exulted Unicron said:
I was thinking about something at work. Does anyone here think Indy would have watched any movies or TV of his era? would he have gone to the theatre? would he have listened to the radio?

Does your boss know you sit around thinking up hypothetical Indy situations at work? LOL;)

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Henry W Jones said:
Does your boss know you sit around thinking up hypothetical Indy situations at work? LOL;)

Yes. She does. Sometime we hypothesize together. Here some examples.

If Indy was in space would he have a raygun or still use a whip?

If Indy had no brain would he find the ark?

If Indy was a snake would he be scared of himself?

etc..etc

Anyone else hypothesize at work...

Exulted Unicron said:

TV might have been tough...but certainly movies and lots of books.
Rocket Surgeon said:
R. CAMPBELL THOMPSON, Semitic Magic (London, 1908)

THORNDYKE, The Place of Magic in the intellectual history of Europe in Stud. Hist. Econom. of Columbia University XXIV (New York, 1905)

BUDGE, Egyptian Magic (London, 1899)

SCHERMAN Griechische Zauberpapyri (Leipzig, 1909)

KIESEWETTER Gesch. des neuren Okkultismus (Leipzig, 1891)

WIEDEMANN Magic und Zauberei im alten Egypten (Leipzig, 1905)

LANG, Magic and Religion (London 1910)

HABERT, La religion des peuples non cirilises (Paris, 1907)

IDEM, La Magic (Paris, 1908)

ABT, Die Apologie des Apulejus u.d. antike Zauberei (1908)

WEINEL, Die Wirkung des Geistes . . . bis auf Irendus (Freiburg, 1899)

DU PREL, Magic ale Naturewissenshaft (2 vole., 1899)

MATHERS, The Book of Sacred Magic (1458), reprinted (London, 1898)

FRASER, The Golden Bough: a Study in Magic and Religion (3 volt., London, 1900)

Exulted Unicron

Can we picture a teen Indy post war going to the theatre in Chicago or Princeton and watching Charlie Chaplin? Buster Keaton or Laurel and Hardy?

Exulted Unicron said:
Can we picture a teen Indy post war going to the theatre in Chicago or Princeton and watching Charlie Chaplin? Buster Keaton or Laurel and Hardy?
Sure, didn't he work in Hollywood and on Broadway?

Lets not forget he was a sports fan as well...

Stoo

Exulted Unicron said:
Certainly, although he was 20 when he returned to the States, therefore, no longer a teen.;)

For starters, one of the first few MacGregor novels mentions Indy seeing "The Perils of Pauline" (1914).

We also see him watching the 1925 version of "Ben-Hur" while in New York (even though that episode, "Hollywood Follies", takes place in 1920).

George Gershwin: "I figured you'd be here."
Indiana Jones: "Well, the movies seem like the best place to be when you're depressed."

IndyCinema_zpsea47c17d.jpg

There are other instances sprinkled throughout the books & comics, too.

As a matter of related interest, check out these threads:
What Movies Do You Think Indy Would See in the 50s?
What books would Indy have on his shelves?

Exulted Unicron

True. As for sports, it was said that Henry Sr. took him to as many baseball games as he could traveling from Princeton to New York. It's assumed he may have been either a Giants or Dodgers fan. But then, given he has a Ty Cobb card, he may also be a fan of Detroit Tigers. Continuing this, he claimed in Travels with Father that he's been trying to keep up with the baseball news via the radio and newspapers, but it's hard.

As for other stuff, he worked for John Ford in 1920 and he worked on Broadway in 1920. Not to mention he played the sax in Scandal of 1920 and in WW1, so I do feel he might have then had a love for musicals in later life.

Junior Jones

There's a lost episode of Young Indiana Jones set during basic training in LeHavre during which Indy met future filmmaker Jean Renoir, who was a fan of "Charlot" (Charlie Chaplin). You can read my version of the story here.

jawajames

i believe in the Marvel comics, he's watching a movie and walks out... because it has snakes.

he also listens to other people reading - Northanger Abbey is read to him by Vicky Prentiss while in Oxford.

As for sports, in Indiana Jones and the Pyramid of the Sorcerer, Indy gets a prediction that the Yankees will beat the Dodgers in the World Series, but refuses to bet against the Dodgers as his favorite team.

Going back to the baseball cards in Travels with Father, he mentions to Tolstoy that his favorite player is Christy Mathewson, and shows off his card of him. The card depicted is of a card made in 1909-1911, but Indy left the US in 1908. So either it's a goof, or somehow he got his hands on a baseball card while on the world tour (maybe a friend back home mailed him one?)

"Thirty-seven and eleven last season. Earned run average of 1.96." - Indy
I confirmed on a stats site that the first sentence refers to his 1908 stats, though the ERA may not be correct for that season. could they have used a lifetime ERA?

Last edited:

JasonMa

Of course ERA really only started to be calculated in the 1900s and wasn't kept as an official statistic until 1912, so apparently Indy was a sabermetrician of his time!

Stoo

Junior Jones said:
There's a lost episode of Young Indiana Jones set during basic training in LeHavre during which Indy met future filmmaker Jean Renoir, who was a fan of "Charlot" (Charlie Chaplin). You can read my version of the story here.
Which has always made me wonder if Indy ever went to see Jean Renoir's, "La Grande Illusion", in 1937 to compare it with his own experiences in WW1.

---
JawaJames, excellent post! I wish you would come here more often, man!:hat:

Indy was absolutely addicted to a certain, daytime soap opera in the '90s! I'd like to know which one it was. Do you (or anyone else) have any clue?:confused:

OldIndy_SoapOpera_zps19abc9ab.jpg

Exulted Unicron

JawaJames: Indy could have gotten the card while on tour somewhere on it. As the Moscow portion of Travels with Father takes place in March, 1909. So you're right. He could have either gotten it on his travels by buying it or someone at home mailed it to him. Though in the Lost Journal of Indiana Jones, he has a Ty Cobb card and says that Cobb is his favourite player and that Indy loves playing second base.

Also, JuniorJones: thanks for sharing your YIJ story. It was a fantastic read. It did feel like it would have made a brilliant episode of the series.

Jasonma: Indy was that into his baseball, he obviously memorised all the stats he could on the players he liked. Looks like at age 10, he had a thirst for knowledge, albeit it baseball trivia.