Temple of Doom references

Benudo

I was just watching some of ToD, including the scene at the dinner table where Indy is talking w/ Chattar Lal. Lal mentions a graverobbing incident in Honduras and a threat by the Sultan of Madagascar. Are these stories fleshed out anywhere in any of the Indy Literature? Just curious...

indyclone25

well i read the novels which take place earlier in his life but nothing was mentioned as much as i remember

Stoo

Benudo said:
Lal mentions a graverobbing incident in Honduras and a threat by the Sultan of Madagascar.
This tale is told in the novel, "Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone" and a fake
newspaper article about it is included in "The Lost Journal".

For the Madagascar incident, there's this from "The Ultimate Guide":
June, 1931 After Indy returns the Jewel of Heaven sapphire to its rightful owner,
he is expelled from Madagascar and warned that he will forfeit a body part should
he ever again show his face there.

DIrishB

Stoo said:
This tale is told in the novel, "Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone" and a fake
newspaper article about it is included in "The Lost Journal".

I didn't know that. I'm reading them in order and have taken a break when I got to Sky Pirates (Caidin's aeronautically-themed writing is wearing thin). I've been meaning to finish Sky Pirates off and movie onto White Witch (hoping that one is better and won't involve as much pointless airplane "jibba-jabba").

For the Madagascar incident, there's this from "The Ultimate Guide":
June, 1931 After Indy returns the Jewel of Heaven sapphire to its rightful owner,
he is expelled from Madagascar and warned that he will forfeit a body part should
he ever again show his face there.

Nor about that. I really should pick up that Ultimate Guide and the Lost Journal.

Crack that whip

It appears there's a general consensus White Witch is an improvement over Sky Pirates, so I think you can look forward to that.

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
It appears there's a general consensus White Witch is an improvement over Sky Pirates, so I think you can look forward to that.

Oh thank God for that! Seriously, I really enjoyed the MacGregor novels. They're nothing deep and aren't the best Indy tales ever told, but they do a decent job of capturing the character at a younger age and building him towards the man he is in the movies. The adventures/plots were simple, but Indy-like enough to work, and he knew how to keep the adventure moving, the characters at least mildy interesting, and how to hook readers into the next chapter with worthwhile cliffhangers.

Caidin does none of these things. His characterization is flat and wooden. His action is too few and WAY too far between. Its blaringly apparent he's trying to seem smarter than he really is with his useless exposition and descriptions. And his leg-humping obsession with airplanes completely overtakes the Indy tale Sky Pirates should've been. Sorry to those who enjoyed his novels, but I have to say Caidin sucks (at least so far). I very much hope White Witch is a vast improvement.

I haven't read the McCoy novels yet, but have heard good things about them. Most people I notice tend to prefer his novels, even over MacGregors', so I'm looking forward to those.

Crack that whip

DIrishB said:
Oh thank God for that! Seriously, I really enjoyed the MacGregor novels. They're nothing deep and aren't the best Indy tales ever told, but they do a decent job of capturing the character at a younger age and building him towards the man he is in the movies. The adventures/plots were simple, but Indy-like enough to work, and he knew how to keep the adventure moving, the characters at least mildy interesting, and how to hook readers into the next chapter with worthwhile cliffhangers.

I really enjoyed the MacGregor novels. Truth be told, I saw them as much deeper and more meaningful when I first read them than they were probably ever meant to be, and practically got chills when I started with Peril at Delphi. I wound up giving a copy to a friend of mine as a gift and wrote a personal message on one of the blank pages in the front about what I saw in it and how it reminded me of our own dreams and all. I'm horribly embarrassed to think of it now. :sick: :eek: :eek:

That wince-inducing memory notwithstanding, I still have fond recollections of that book and the five that followed, and look forward to revisiting them, hopefully soon...

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
I really enjoyed the MacGregor novels. Truth be told, I saw them as much deeper and more meaningful when I first read them than they were probably ever meant to be, and practically got chills when I started with Peril at Delphi. I wound up giving a copy to a friend of mine as a gift and wrote a personal message on one of the blank pages in the front about what I saw in it and how it reminded me of our own dreams and all. I'm horribly embarrassed to think of it now. :sick: :eek: :eek:

Ah, the memories of youth.

;)

That wince-inducing memory notwithstanding, I still have fond recollections of that book and the five that followed, and look forward to revisiting them, hopefully soon...

Definitly. Like I said, I really enjoyed them. I tore through MacGregors six novels in a matter of three weeks (2 books a week plus a couple of other books I was reading at the same time). He just had a writing style that hooked me from early on in the book and compelled me to keep reading right to the end. I actually read most of Genesis Deluge in one afternoon (finished the last few chapters that night!). Great, fun storytelling all around on MacGregor's part. I'm glad he's writing a new Indy novel for release next year. The rumor is that its an adaptation of the story in the upcoming Indy videogame for the next gen systems (Staff of Kings). Personally, I hope its an original story as I'd like to see how MacGregor's Indy influence would've changed over the last 15-20 years (since he first wrote his Indy novels). Would there be a noticeable difference in his Indy of the early 90's and his Indy of present day (timeline of the Indy-verse notwithstanding ;) )? Like I said, I hope its an original adventure, since we'll be getting the Indy story in the videogame anyway.