He chose... poorly.

How could Walter Donovan, an obsessive relic collector, not have known that the grail was made of clay? You would think that such a man obsessed would have done his research about it. Not to mention the fact that there is a shelf full of false grails that he has to choose from like game show, all made out of precious metals and jewels, and one oddball cup of a carpenter sticks out like a sore thumb. Shouldn't this have rung any bells?

Darth Vile

I think probably because he didn't expect to be confronted with a choice. I think most people have pre-conceived ideas of what the Grail would look like... and to be fair, whilst a simple cup is clearly the more logical choice, it's not the first image that springs to mind. Walter got fooled. His idea of the prize was at odds with what the prize actually was...

The Man

grail-indybelieves.jpg
last-crusade-grail_1148452486-000.jpg

Bit of a giveway, really. The real grail did not have such a pronounced base.

Perhaps but the true grail amid a room full of exotic chalices would draw some sort of attention to itself. You have to wonder why such a plain looking old cup is doing beside all of these exotic gold and bronze chalices. Even if he is blinded by the glamour of choosing the most ideally luxurious looking one he would have to have noticed it and wondered what such a sorry old cup was doing there.

Reminds me of that old Sesame Street song:

"One of these things just doesn't belong here. Come on, can you tell which one before my song is done?"

Benraianajones

Haha at the song!

To be fair to Donovan, the little clay cup was hidden towards the back, and he was just too keen to get hold of the grail!

"I don't know what it looks like" - Elsa has an "idea" - he is quick to snap it up!

Agent Z

It's a problem that echoes back to Belloq. You would think that these villains would have researched their obsessions a little more. Although, in defense of Belloq, perhaps his lack of knowledge helped to show that his true passion is in the field, screwing over colleagues and getting the glory in being the first one to the prize.....and not so much in the "libary" actually researching and understanding the artifacts that he pursues.

Benraianajones

Haha, if I was Donovan I wouldn't have accepted it as the grail so easily! That is the price he paid for his greed. He wanted it there and then - no messing.

I also like how the Knight says "he chose poorly" afterwards...he knows Donovan didn't technically chose it. Elsa did! Maybe in that case he was refering to Donovan's trust in Elsa as well as the grail choice.

Agent Z

Benraianajones said:
I also like how the Knight says "he chose poorly" afterwards...he knows Donovan didn't technically chose it. Elsa did! Maybe in that case he was refering to Donovan's trust in Elsa as well as the grail choice.

Yes, that is the lesson: It always comes down to the woman. Even when they're wrong, they're right. ;)

Ska

Elsa knew that wasn't the correct grail she chose, right? Didn't she say after Donovan dies that the grail will not be made of gold?

Bat-Dude

Agent Spalko said:
If Donovan was smart he should have made Elsa drink first.

My thoughts exactly.

Not to mention, he himself chastises Indy for not following his own advice to "...not trust anyone." Yet, that is his ultimate mistake: trusting Elsa :gun:

The Drifter

I thought the real Grail was made of wood with a gold inlay inside the basin?

Anyway, I think Donovan put his trust in Elsa too much, and it backfired on him. If he wasen't so wrapped in in obtaining the Grail in a hurry. I doubt that his judgement would not have been so cloudy.

Benraianajones

SKAbatula said:
Elsa knew that wasn't the correct grail she chose, right? Didn't she say after Donovan dies that the grail will not be made of gold?

Yeah, she knew! She was obviously upset when he shot Henry - and Donovan even chastised her at some point around this time too, so I doubt she'd want to help him. She even grins a bit when Donovan chokes.

SKAbatula said:

Elsa knew that. She wanted the grail for herself so she deliberately gave Walter the false grail. Donovan should have known better than to trust her judgment. He should have heeded to the Knight's warning "True grail will bring you life, false grail will take it from you." Evidently he wasn't listening or thought the old codger was just senile and talking nonsense.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I thought the real Grail was made of wood with a gold inlay inside the basin?

This has been debated before hence the "cup of a carpenter" but when Indy grabs it and when it falls in the crevice it makes a hollow "ring" like the sound a clay cup makes. Then one wonders why it doesn't shatter when it is dropped into the crevice. Perhaps it is because it is "enchanted."

Benraianajones

Deffo Spalko, when the Knight says "The truel grail will bring you life..." - that is ALL he heard. Also, I think the fact he goes against his own advice (not to trust anyone), and let's Elsa (who he has no reason not to trust, since she appears "clued up" on the grail) just goes to show his desperation for the grail. You could also say that to a degree, like Elsa (despite her seeing what the false grail did) he didn't believe in its power truly, or he may have took heed of the death warning more serious, same with Elsa passing the seal. Total greed!

Ska

Bat-Dude said:
My thoughts exactly.

Not to mention, he himself chastises Indy for not following his own advice to "...not trust anyone." Yet, that is his ultimate mistake: trusting Elsa :gun:

Ohhh...how true. I never thought of that before.

Man, I need to leave work and go watch LC right now.