Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

Montana Smith

Nurhachi1991 said:
Im here to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum.... and im all outta gum

I was introduced to the world of first person shooters the moment I put the floppy disc version of Doom into my PC. The Duke Nukem 3D came along and...wow! For a long time it was the best thing since automatic bread!

JRJENNINGS86

Call of Duty MW3...... well untill i woke up and realized i was dreaming and have several months untill its release. untill then MW1 and 2:gun:

Indy Scout 117

y'know i am a HUGE Halo Reach fan, and i love the game a lot. but what i've been playing recently online is Crysis 2. i must say, it has better multiplayer than Reach does. in my opinion of course.

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Currently I'm giving Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood a spin. And I must say, it appears to be the first true open-world game that doesn't feel like it has its limitations. So far, when I've set my sights on doing something in a way that seems viable, about nine out of ten times I've been able to pull it off without a hitch. Truly an accomplishment.

Also, the setting is adorable.

Sounds good. I picked up the first Assassin's Creed just to 'take it for a spin'. Never played any of the series before.

Very scenic and with fluid animation, but it sounds like Brotherhood has learned a lot from this one, which sometimes feels linear, even though there are lots of directions to go in. The fighting system is a little on rails, with your only required input being constant mouse clicking until each enemy is dead.

Far Cry 2 is also visaully stunning, and though it took a little while to get into, it's becoming engrossing. Burning your enemies out of cover has never been so much fun!

I'm getting the feel of the African setting, but it could have done with more wildlife. After several hours of play all I've seen are three antelope, three chickens and two goats (and some cretin shot one of those!)

Now if there was ever that Indy sandbox game, he'd fit right into the visuals from both these games.

Last edited:
after a couple months off, I jumped back into being addicted to Goldeneye Wii. Im a level 52 now...one off from getting proximity mines(y)

also recently played thru Megaman and Megaman 2

DiscoLad

Ol' Finn and I didn't quite see eye to eye.

anyway. . .

I've been playing Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon.

I'm a little behind on the video game front.

I just beat Splinter Cell Conviction and I am getting ready to start Star Wars The Force Unleashed 2.

Finished Portal:Still Alive and on to Portal 2.

Realy enjoyed GlaDos' comments and the song at the end...VERY funny stuff.
Stephen Merchant in Portal 2 has been a great addition so far.

Would love to find a copy of the original Portal from The Orange Box...

Portal? is a new single player game from Valve. Set in the mysterious Aperture Science Laboratories, Portal has been called one of the most innovative new games on the horizon and will offer gamers hours of unique gameplay.

The game is designed to change the way players approach, manipulate, and surmise the possibilities in a given environment; similar to how Half-Life® 2?s Gravity Gun innovated new ways to leverage an object in any given situation.

Players must solve physical puzzles and challenges by opening portals to maneuvering objects, and themselves, through space.

Portal is coming in the Fall of 2007 as part of The Orange Box, which also includes Team Fortress® 2 and Half-Life® 2: Episode Two. The Orange Box will be available for the PC, as well as the Xbox® 360 and Playstation® 3 console systems.

Montana Smith

I put Fallout 3 on hold, along with my replay of Far Cry 2. At the moment I'm playing a game that feels like the early chronology of the former: STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

It's not as freeform as the mighty FO3, and the irradiated areas make for annoying travel-barriers, but the missions are tough, and you rarely feel safe.

Finn

Staff member
I'm currently on my fourth or fifth (or was it sixth...) playthrough of one of my all-time favorites, The Witcher.

I also have The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings on my shelf waiting its turn, but before I delve into it I just had to get one more look on part 1, to have some fresh comparison. I suppose it's also my way of teasing it out as long as I can, since the sequel truly looks like a hoot. But more on that once I actually get down to it.

On top of that, I recently got a hold of some of the source material novels and short stories in a language I can comperehend. It makes playing the first one an enriched experience as well since I now get a lot of those mythology gags the game is littered with.

Montana Smith

Finished S.T.A.LK.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl. It ever really lived up to expectations and the ending was disappointing. My character asked for wealth from the Wishgranter and the building collapsed and buried him!

Finished F.E.A.R. (what's with all these acronyms?) Some great fire fights and funny opposition force radio chatter. The paranormal stuff was unsettling, and ultimately annoying. Didn't seem to be a very long game either.

Might have another go at Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood next.

Finn

Staff member
So... I'm currently playing The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

I'm not overly far in, but already I can say that it's definitely one of those games. The kind that does have its shortcomings (like every other game out there), but despite that manages to strike more of the right cords in you than you bother to describe.

Even before you get into the game itself you're in for a treat. The game comes in a thick package that contains two DVD cases (the game itself and two discs with "making of" materials plus full game soundtrack), a full printed game guide (apart from the instruction booklet, I mean), and few other assorments like a map, a metal coin from the game world and pair of papier dolls. Of course they're still pretty cheap trinkets, but an impressive forethought nevertheless.

Okay, now you're telling me what's so special considering every other collector's edition contains stuff like that. The catch? I'm not talking about a CE. I'm talking about the run-of-the-mill $60/€50/£30 standard edition. The more expensive one apparently contains even more goodies. We're not there for those, of course, but for the game.

And even before I get to the game itself, I must mention the class A treatment they keep up with the game support. Up to this point they've released three patches that fix all kinds of quirks in the game from apparent major issues to minor oversights. The first one is probably the most notable since it came only a week after the release and besides offering enhanced stability, stripped the game of all DRM. The devs have also announced that whatever DLC they release for the game, it'll all be free.

Sounds too good to be true, so before you set out for the nearest game store, I best warn you that all this ambition has some downplaying effects as well. First of all, the game is a PC exclusive and a serious system hog at that. They've not even heeded any mind towards the technical limitations of current-gen consoles, so setups that can run most PC modern releases on "medium-high" mean "low" for this game. Luckily it looks pretty darn good even if forced to strip some of the eye candy.

All this naturally sets the bar for the main thing, the game itself to be pretty darn good as well. If I try to be objective, I guess I can say there are bound to be some who don't appreciate all its features, but for me at least, it delivers in troves. There are quirks, but it's kind of hard to pay much mind to them when they're surrounded in utter brilliance. Storywise, it's pretty much everything one can expect from a class A RPG. Script, ambiance, line delivery are all top notch. It's the gameplay that has and is going to split opinions.

When the action gets going, the game is, well, pretty hard. The game doesn't pamper the player, but more like throws you straight into the deep end and merely tosses a "How To Swim" instruction booklet after you. Hard, but fair I guess. There's no learning curve whatsoever, or more like a backwards one. Starting out, your hero, Geralt, the titular witcher is something that could be described as a "glass cannon". He can deal some pretty severe damage, but is about as fragile himself as the opponents he faces. If you don't think out your approach, even a measly bunch of poorly-equippd highway bandits can hand your backside to you. The game actually gets easier down the line when your character grows in ability (and the player in skill, I might add).

Still, I personally can't help but love the game, or at least what I've seen of it so far, which is perhaps about 50% in of the first of the game's three acts. Not all consequences for different choices are merely cosmetic, and from what I've heard, the middle part of the game can actually shape very differently based on some of the decisions player makes early on. Sounds very FoA-like if it holds true, so no wonder it feels like such a hit for me.

I'll have to explore the game thoroughly for what it has to offer before I can give my final verdict, but at this stage I can already say that this particular project at least aims to be something very special. With the game packaging, free extra content, copy protection policy, high-end PC-exclusivity and old-time Nintendo hardness, the devs at CD Projekt seem to be out to flip a finger at everything you know about modern video game marketing. I can't say if it's a smart and productive thing to do in the long run, but I know that if they're intending to keep this up, I'll seriously have to consider naming some of my future children after them.

michael said:
I saw this got good reviews, these types of games are usually terrible too. Worth a play?

So far it's ok, the fight mechanics are nice...very acrobatic! Recently convinced my boy to play on normal settings first time out, but even so the hints/prompts don't encourage the promise of intuitive game play...

It's still early yet, but its fun so far.

If it's all going to take place around/inside a castle it has to improve though.