The Godfather

I think The Godfather...

• is the best film ever made. It deserves all the respect it gets.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • is good, but is definitely not the best film ever made.

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • is okay. I really don't understand all the hype.

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • sucks.

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gustav

Does anybody else think The Godfather is just okay? I just looked at the imdb poll for the favorite gangster film and it's at the top again. That's just what spurred this post. I've always thought The Godfather was overrated.

agentsands77

THE GODFATHER is fantastically written, directed, and performed. That's why it gets the respect it does (same for THE GODFATHER: PART II, which is actually the better film). It's not my favorite film, but I find it impossible to deny its quality.

And I don't really like the options in the poll, so I'll abstain from voting. I do think it "deserves all the respect it gets" but is "not the best film ever made." So what do I vote for?

Quickening

Well what is a well made film and what you actually like can often be two different things. Personally I find films like Citizen Kane to be an excuse for absolutely pretentious film buffs to reference. It's like your opinion isn't taken seriously if you didn't like that film and there are many films like that which people just say they love despite the fact they might not have. But they have to claim to in order to join "the club". The Godfather is one of these films.

By the way I have seen neither Citizen Kane nor the Godfather and don't really want to so have no opinion of them.

agentsands77

Quickening said:
Well what is a well made film and what you actually like can often be two different things. Personally I find films like Citizen Kane to be an excuse for absolutely pretentious film buffs to reference. It's like your opinion isn't taken seriously if you didn't like that film and there are many films like that which people just say they love despite the fact they might not have. But they have to claim to in order to join "the club". The Godfather is one of these films.

By the way I have seen neither Citizen Kane nor the Godfather and don't really want to so have no opinion of them.
If you have't seen them, how can you write them off as "an excuse for absolutely pretentious film buffs to reference." Maybe they actually merit the popularity and praise they receive.

Quickening

agentsands77 said:
If you have't seen them, how can you write them off as "an excuse for absolutely pretentious film buffs to reference"? That's just unfair.

That wasn't meant as an attack on the film but on the people who will reference it thinking they are clever and sophisticated for doing so. Im sure you know the type.

deckard24

I think The Godfather is overrated too! I've always preferred The Godfather Part II, but overall I'm just not crazy about those films in general! In my opinion Goodfellas is a better mobster film, although not nearly as epic. I think the fact that The Godfather is so grand in scale is what makes it so well respected and praised.

Another film that comes to mind that I think is overrated is Scarface!

LostArk

Coincidentally, I was just watching The Godfather with my neighbor. I think it's a masterpiece but not the best movie ever. It has great actors, its well-written/filmed/directed, it has a great musical score, the filming techniques are amazing, the lighting is perfect and it sets the mood of the movie. As much as I love The Godfather, I love GFII much more for the same reasons listed above and because I like sequels with some backstory and a different tone from the previous movie.

The Man

The Godfather Part II is probably the greatest movie of the '70's. To think that Coppola made both of those and The Conversation within three years always stands in his defence. Astonishing...

LostArk

The Man said:
The Godfather Part II is probably the greatest movie of the '70's. To think that Coppola made both of those and The Conversation within three years always stands in his defence. Astonishing...

It's bigger than U.S. Steel.

agentsands77

The Man said:
The Godfather Part II is probably the greatest movie of the '70's.
It's up there.

The Man said:
To think that Coppola made both of those and The Conversation within three years always stands in his defence. Astonishing...
Indeed. And let's not forget APOCALYPSE NOW, which was soon thereafter.

LostArk

agentsands77 said:
It's up there.

Indeed. And let's not forget APOCALYPSE NOW, which was soon thereafter.

The 70s were pretty big years for FFC. Is The Conversation worth a viewing?

Gustav

agentsands77 said:
THE GODFATHER is fantastically written, directed, and performed. That's why it gets the respect it does (same for THE GODFATHER: PART II, which is actually the better film). It's not my favorite film, but I find it impossible to deny its quality.

And I don't really like the options in the poll, so I'll abstain from voting. I do think it "deserves all the respect it gets" but is "not the best film ever made." So what do I vote for?

Says who? Are you speaking strictly from casual viewer's point of view or are you familiar with or educated in actual writng, directing and acting techniques. There was nothing outstanding about the writing or the acting except for Marlon Brando. It was very well directed but that kind of directing comes around at least once a year. In order to avoid being tedious on the poll options, I kept it a little vague. Otherwise it would have been like this:
Option 1:The Godfather is the best film ever made. It has the best directing, acting, writing, cinematography and editing of any film in history.
Option 2: the Godfather is the best film ever made. It has the best directing, acting, writing and cinematograpy in history but not the best editing.
Option 3: The Godfather is not the best film ever made, but I can see why everybody thinks it is.
Option 4: The Godfather is not the best film ever made and I can't understand why everybody thinks it is.

.....etc.
Vote for the second one.

Quickening is right about some people only saying they liked it because they're supposed to, but I do think you should see the films.

I feel the same about Citizen Kane.

Apocalypse Now on the other hand deserves all the hype it gets and more.

Oh, and Goodfellas is far superior to The Godfather in practically every aspect. Except maybe cinematography.

eroc

There is a reason that The Godfather and The Godfather Part II both won Oscars for Best Picture in 1972 and 1974.

The Godfather
is a brilliant film. It was filmed as a modern version of Shakespeare's King Lear (featuring a king and three sons: Sonny, Michael, and Fredo).

Although, I do think Part II is the superior of the two.

" Gangster films are one of the oldest of film genres (starring Edward G. Robinson, James Cagney and Humphrey Bogart), emerging as an influential force in the early 1930s (e.g., Little Caesar (1930), Public Enemy (1931), and Scarface (1932)). This gangster film re-invented the gangster genre, elevating the classic Hollywood gangster film to a higher level by portraying the gangster figure as a tragic hero. [With the disappearance of the Production Code, retribution for the gangster's crimes was not an automatic requirement.] The rich and enthralling film is characterized by superb acting and deep character studies, beautiful photography and choreography, authentic recreation of the period, a bittersweet romantic sub-plot, a rich score by Nino Rota, and superbly-staged portrayals of gangster violence. Its grim, dark passages and bright exterior scenes are all part of the beautiful cinematography by Gordon Willis. ~from the review by Tim Dirks @www.filmsite.org "

Last edited:

LostArk

For those of you who liked the movie, I strongly recommend the book. It adds a lot to the movie and you know what they say. The book is always better than the movie ;)

agentsands77

Gustav said:
Says who? Are you speaking strictly from casual viewer's point of view or are you familiar with or educated in actual writng, directing and acting techniques.
I'm very well educated in film production, including writing, directing, and acting techniques.

Gustav said:
There was nothing outstanding about the writing or the acting except for Marlon Brando. It was very well directed but that kind of directing comes around at least once a year.
I disagree on all counts.

Gustav said:
In order to avoid being tedious on the poll options, I kept it a little vague.
Nothing wrong with that, but the progression you picked was rather dramatic. You could have gone:

1. The Godfather is the greatest film ever made.
2. The Godfather is a great film, but not the greatest.
3. The Godfather is a good, but not great film.
4. The Godfather isn't a very good film at all.
5. I've never seen The Godfather.

Which, IMO, presents a much better range of choices.