Total Film magazine June 2008 #141

snake_surprise

My point is that there are endless possibilities for macguffins.
Plain and simple.

I need to get a sankara stone for my yard then. I am getting ready to plant new grass, it looks terrible.

WillKill4Food

NileQT87 said:
the sankara stones are not complete bullsh*t. look up the "shivalinga". in fact, they say "shivalinga" right in the film during the exposition.

sankara was a hindu philosopher who is considered an incarnation of shiva. shivalinga are stones that are representations of the god shiva (and there are MANY of them). the shivalinga are definitely linked to fertility.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adi_Shankara
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuggee
Yeah, I've posted this same stuff many times.
Still, everyone thinks that the Sankara Stones, or rather Sive Linga, are made up.

As for the innumerable artifacts, I will agree that there are many artifacts that could be used.
But only a few are worthy of an Indy film.

eroc

Just like Mike French stated in his "Third Wheel" writing, fourths don't always work. I think these guys realize that and are getting ready to begin a new trilogy by tying the 4th to the 1st.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think the "big 3" are all at a point in their careers where they should do something that works, makes them happy, and makes people happy. It seems Steven and Harrison had so much fun last summer filming this movie that they more than ready to Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!!!!!

bergstrom

Deckard said:
The only way 2 more films will be ok, is the inclusion of Harrison and Steven w/ both. Also a cameo from Connery, and perhaps draw from comics and games for story, like the spear of destiny or fate of atlantis. Sophia Hapgood might be good to include as well.

marion will be with Indy after this movie. Sophia Hapgood can't be a love interest, if I'm reading this correctly,

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Sophia_Hapgood

and NO Shia. He goes off and does his own thing sna we NEVER hear of huim again. Connery, NO. he's gone.

A great macGuffin, great script, great cast and great cinematography and effects, and I'll be happy.

berg

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, I don't see them incorporating Sophia as she wasn't created by Lucas or Spielberg, she's an EU character. IF they were to incorporate a different girl other than Marion, it would be a completely new one to the audience. Somehow though, if there was to be more Indy movies with Harrison (depending on KOTCS' ending) it would be more likely that Marion would still be around unless they kill her off, which would disappoint fans (oh, all right, it would disappoint me).

MattJones

I can safely say that no one is going to die. Steven himself said this was a "light" movie, and I can't imagine a main character dying (aside from Cate, sorry, don't worry we still love you) and still have a happy ending.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
ZyEgg2uW4ARFkG6Vb9xoiX-650-80.jpg

Total Film #265 surveyed 8000 fams to find the top 100 movie characters. Full size cover here.
1. Indiana Jones
2. Batman
3. Han Solo
4. Ellen Ripley
5. James Bond
6. Travis Bickle
7. Hannibal Lecter
8. Gandalf
9. The Joker
10. Princess Leia

You chose poorly, SterankoII... Imaged Shack became a pay site.
Here's part of that interview thanks to a Star Wars fan.
Lucas: It's not like any of us really need the money," "We just sort of wanted to have a movie vacation."

TotalFilm: It's been quite a while since our last appointment with Dr Jones.
Lucas: When we finished Last Crusade we figured, that's it -- three films, that's fine. Originally, that's all we were going to do. Steven and Harrison kind of wanted to do another one but I said I couldn't think of any story -- and I'm the one who has to come up with it! It's very hard to come up with a good MacGuffin, which in our case has to be a supernatural object of an archaeological nature that is real of that people believe to be real. That's as opposed to all the copies that have been churned out since Raiders, which are about fanciful, made-up objects. Then I came up with an idea when I was doing Young Indiana Jones. I was very excited about it, but Steven and Harrison were a little reluctant. I worked on a script they didn't like, then another, then another. Finally I just gave up.

TotalFilm: And then?
Lucas: For a couple of years it sat quietly, then Harrison said he really wanted to do another Indiana Jones. So I said, "This is the only thing I can come up with." Finally they said "OK." I worked on a script for a number of years with a number of writers until we got to a point. where everyone was happy. But it was a long 15 year process.

TotalFilm: You've already voiced doubt that the film will satisfy critics and fans.
Lucas: With this kind of movie, no matter what you do, it's not going to live up to expectations. I had it with The Phantom Menace. The fans say, "Oh, I expected the Second Coming and it didn't happen!" The critics say, "It's just more of the same." They didn't like the first three anyway, so why expect that they'll like this one?

TotalFilm: We've got high hopes at Total Film.
Lucas: Well, if you love the other ones, you'll love this one. But you have to love all of them! I think this one's a little funnier and more interesting that the others. Although if you think it's going to be better than the other ones it's not. It's the same as.

TotalFilm: It's just as great?
Lucas: It's just as great! but if you're a disgruntled fan who's already written the story and you find it doesn't follow your script, then it's gonna be terrible. We did it primarily because we just wanted to have fun.

TotalFilm: And did you?
Lucas: We did. So for us it's already a success. We've accomplished everything we could ever want and more. We had the best time making this movie. And since we got what we wanted, we've decided to put the film in a trash can and bury it. That way nobody has to see it and we don't have to get bad reviews! Sorry. It's too bad the way that happened, but we had a great time making it!

TotalFilm: There's a lot of speculation that this is Indy's odyssey into science fiction.
Lucas: It's not. It's an archeology film just like the others. He's going after a supernatural object. The first films were based on those '30s Saturday matinée serials, as was Star Wars. Then when this one came along I realized that it was 19 years later and I couldn't do 'then' -- I had to do 'now' is basically the mid-'50s. I said, "Gee what's the equivalent of B-movies in the '50s?" A it's science fiction films -- Them, It Came From Outer Space, The Thing. It gave us a whole new genre to play with and a new texture beneath the story. And I came up with a great MacGuffin.

TotalFilm: So why the reluctance from Ford and Spielberg?
Lucas: They thought it was a little too much of a Spielbergian idea! Or a Lucas-Spielbergian Idea. A little too obvious. I think possibly they didn't fully understand the malleability of Indiana Jones -- that we don't have to do the same movie over and over again. Because we never did. The great thing about this movie is that it's the same but different. It's of a different genre, but it's stilll Indiana Jones the archaeologist going after something -- its' just now he's pushing 60.

TotalFilm: You've managed to do a fine job of preventing the plot from leaking online.
Lucas: Well, after Star Wars we know how to do that. Steven is more adamant about it that I am. I'm not sure having everything be a secret makes much difference one way or the other. It's not like Jaws or Jurassic Park failed because they were books before they were movies. It's one thing to know what happens, another thing to see it. People go to these movies because they want to see Steven do his brilliant star turn as a director. If anyone else did the story it wouldn't be as good. He can do anything --- Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan. But this is the kind of movie he can do in his sleep. Not that he does it in his sleep -- he actually gets a kick out of it!

TotalFilm: Harrison Ford calls you the "global authority" on Indy. Do you own the character the way you own Star Wars?
Lucas: I created the character so everything has to come back to me. I'm the one who knows what he does and doesn't do and I make up the stories. I'm the one who tries to keep them grounded in some kind of reality, which means we don't cheat a lot. Well, we cheat a little bit but we're clever; we don't just invent things to get him out of a mess.

TotalFilm: Although some handy divine intervention has saved Indy's neck a few times.
Lucas: Yeah. The thing is, if you believe in the Ark of the Covenant, if you believe it has some relationship to God, if you believe it strikes people down -- which is all true in a certain code of reality -- then it all makes sense. But you can't just make something up, like a time machine. That's not what it's about. These are supernatural mysteries, not action-adventures where you have no historical or archaeological context.

TotalFilm: Is Crystal Skull a full stop or a new beginning?
Lucas: I don't know. There's no motive other than to enjoy ourselves. We'll see what happens.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
ZyEgg2uW4ARFkG6Vb9xoiX-650-80.jpg

1. Indiana Jones
2. Batman
3. Han Solo
4. Ellen Ripley
5. James Bond
6. Travis Bickle
7. Hannibal Lecter
8. Gandalf
9. The Joker
10. Princess Leia

I wonder what the criteria was for 'greatest'?

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
I wonder what the criteria was for 'greatest'?
Funny how only 50% of the top 10 are genuine "movie characters" with the other half being from novels or comic books. Literary classics like King Arthur, King Lear, Don Quixote, Jane Eyre, etc. have been filmed multitudes of times but would anybody consider them "movie characters"? (n)

Total Film - The Smarter Movie Magazine. Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

Anyway...Hooray for Indy!

IndyBuff

It's awesome to see Indy at the top, though being biased toward the character doesn't hurt.;)

He's always been my favorite fictional character and it's great to see so many other film lovers who feel the same way.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This is the same magazine which named Crystal Skull the most disappointing film ever, so it shows the character's durability.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Scroll through all 100 covers here. Games Radar on Indy. More of the list:
11. Rocky Balboa
12. Sarah Connor
13. The Bride
14. Michael Corleone
15. Jules Winnfield
16. Tyler Durden
17. Maximus Decimus Meridius
18. Spider-Man
19. Harry Potter
20. R P McMurphy
21. Iron Man
22. Loki
23. Darth Vader
24. Gollum
25. The Dude

FAyKDAuSNzdUapGwnfakJ3-650-80.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Dialing the archive back 15 years...
Coming Soon
Indiana Jones IV
The hat's back...
Eighteen years since Dr Jones’ quest for the Holy Grail in The Last Crusade, the next Indy has become something of a Grail itself: fragile, precious, a hope we barely dared believe in. And yet, finally, on 18 June Steven Spielberg gathered the cast and crew together in Deming, New Mexico, to raise a glass of champers and celebrate day one of shooting Indiana Jones IV.
“I just want to say break a leg, have a good shoot, do your best work and here’s looking at you kids.” The world’s most athletic archaeologist is cracking the whip once again. Though The Beard is doing his best to keep plot details secret, info is leaking out – about a South American setting, US UFO hotspot Area 51 and the quest for a crystal skull.
Having clicked with Frank Darabont’s script only to see George Lucas dismiss it (“A real kick to the nuts,” says Darabont) Spielberg has spent months polishing a new draft by War Of The Worlds writer David Koepp, with key Raiders character Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen) set to return and Shia LaBeouf playing a James Dean-styled rebel who – spoiler alert! – turns out to be Indy’s son. The working title is Indiana Jones And The City Of The Lost Gods and its ’50s setting means Indy’s traditional Nazi foe has been replaced by the red peril of the Soviet Union. After years of shilly-shallying, Spielberg is so confident Jones has still got it, LaBeouf has been contracted for two more movies. So, is the Transformers star up to it? “I’ll do my best…”

Latest Issues
JUNE 2008
We've wiped the dust off our Fedoras, kicked the snakes from our feet and pulled on our leather jackets this month, to bring you another whip-cracking issue of Total Film. And if you can't guess who this issue's star is from our opening gambit, then we recommend you pick up a copy of the Indiana Jones trilogy on DVD as soon as you can, so you can be as prepared as possible for this summer's biggest blockbuster. But first, buy our June Issue, on sale 17 April, because we have everything you need to know about Indiana Jones and his latest adventure - featuring interviews with everyone who's had even the slightest contact with a Crystal Skull.
We're also giving away an exclusive FREE DVD - featuring over TWO HOURS of summer previews, including an onset look at Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, Daniel Craig introducing us to Flashbacks Of A Fool and Guillermo del Toro talking Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Add to that to the looks at The Dark Knight, Wall-E, Prince Caspian and much, much more, and you can see why we've labelled it the Ultimate Summer Preview DVD.

News: Indiana Jones And Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull reviews online
So, how does Indy rate?
09 May 2008 11:39am
A few Indy reviews have gone live over at Ain't It Cool News, but be warned, they're full of spoilers and the occasional fanboy rant. If you don't want to have your fun ruined - and believe us, there really are some major plot points revealed in these reviews - we can sum 'em up for you. One bad, one average and one that says it's the third best of the series. Still, we remain optimistic. It's Indy. The minute we hear that fanfare, we reckon we'll be pretty much sold.