The thing you and ONLY you think you noticed

|ZiR|

herr gruber said:
I'm sure it's Vic Armstrong in the spike chamber scene in TOD where Willie runs in screaming " Get them off me! Get them off me! They're all over me!". Indy, kneeling in the doorway, glances up at her and looks down again. It doesn't quite look like Harrison.

!!!

My goodness, I think you're right about that. I've watched ToD more than any of the others and I never noticed it before. :eek:

The Drifter

herr gruber said:
I'm sure it's Vic Armstrong in the spike chamber scene in TOD where Willie runs in screaming " Get them off me! Get them off me! They're all over me!". Indy, kneeling in the doorway, glances up at her and looks down again. It doesn't quite look like Harrison.

Now, YET another reason to pull down this DVD and watch again for the 5,000th time!

Michael24

herr gruber said:

I always wondered why they did that shot the way they did. I mean, it's not like Vic has his back to the camera or something. It's plainly obvious because he's pretty much facing the audience, and it's you can see it (however briefly) and go, "That's not Harrison Ford. WTF?" :confused:

ValenciaGrail

In ROTLA, at the end of the truck chase, the look on Indy's face as he is running Belloq's car off the road.

It's the coolest "f--- you" sneer that says: "How do you like THEM apples?"

It's right as the bridge to the Raiders theme kicks in....it always makes me pump my fist and say "Yes!", even on the 642nd watching it :whip:

UKIndyFan

Everybody else noticed the bouncing sandblock, right? When Marion and Indy are escaping the Well of Souls? I'm pretty sure that ones well known

ValenciaGrail

UKIndyFan said:
Everybody else noticed the bouncing sandblock, right? When Marion and Indy are escaping the Well of Souls? I'm pretty sure that ones well known

Everyone mentions that, and I have seen it, but it appears to be more of a rolling sandblock to me. It has never bothered me much, or sticks out as a "goof" to me.

Gear

Attila the Professor said:
I tend to think that I'm one of the few people equipped to tell what parts of the dialogue from Last Crusade was written/doctored by Tom Stoppard. One section that I'm 95% certain about is the whole Ming vase dialogue:

Classic Stoppard conversation with cross-purposes and a preoccupied academic.

Yes, thats a fabulous scene. Art on script.

What Truck?

Raiders Observation

Right after Dr. Jones steals the white horse to pursue the truck carrying the ark, the horse steps on the leg of an extra.

The extra immediately falls over in pain while one of the extras who was running after the horse stops to see if he's okay.

Always makes me cringe a little. That had to hurt!

Michael24

ValenciaGrail said:
In ROTLA, at the end of the truck chase, the look on Indy's face as he is running Belloq's car off the road.

It's the coolest "f--- you" sneer that says: "How do you like THEM apples?"

I love that! Indy's got that look on his face and you see him just crank that steering wheel to the left and force Belloq's car off over the shoulder and into the dunes. Great moment. (y)

ValenciaGrail said:
Everyone mentions that, and I have seen it, but it appears to be more of a rolling sandblock to me. It has never bothered me much, or sticks out as a "goof" to me.

Yeah, I've always thought the same, that it looks more like it's just "rolling" away since it's on a slope.

What Truck? said:
Right after Dr. Jones steals the white horse to pursue the truck carrying the ark, the horse steps on the leg of an extra.

The extra immediately falls over in pain while one of the extras who was running after the horse stops to see if he's okay.

Always makes me cringe a little. That had to hurt!

I was always surprised that the stunt rider (Vic Armstrong?) didn't halt the take by stopping after that happened, since it was clearly an accident. It looks like the horse's leg tangles with the extra's, then pulls him under as the back legs go over him, and Indy just looks back like, "Oh, jeez, sorry." Haha!!

I've just watched Raiders again, and I've noticed when he enters the temple in Peru, you can already see the spiders on his back in the second shot (his silhouette against the cave's entrance). I've never noticed that before.

ValenciaGrail

Two things I always noticed but just recently connected ...

In Raiders, Indy reaches under the rapidly closing stone door to grab his whip just before it shuts.

In TOD, Indy does the same thing, but this time he reaches for his hat under the stone door....so this is a rehash of the same gag.

I guess I never connected the two gags before because in the Raiders version, it never struck me as humorous. The whip is a legitimate survival tool, and it's more reasonable that he would have risked his arm to get it back. But the hat....well, it's just a hat ... so the TOD version is more slapstick to me :)

One can view the Fedora as a comic reflection of Indy. As the hat goes, so goes Indy:
- Indy survives or escapes all manner of situations in a completely implausible manner...no broken bones, torn tendons, etc...not even after the truck chase in Raiders. Heck, Ford even injured himself more than once just pretending to do some of these scenes, notably the TOD back injury which necessitated revamping the shoot schedules
- The hat, simliarly, should have been torn to shreds and unusuable years ago.

- The one situation when we are closest to believing Indy might have finally bought the farm, the hat blows off his head...our subconscious says: "wow, his hat's gone...does that mean he really went over the cliff"
- Then, after we discover he has leaped off the tank at the last second...again, implausibly...a serendipitous gust of wind blows the hat right back to him.

Hat survives another day :: Indy survives another day

ATMachine

ValenciaGrail said:
Two things I always noticed but just recently connected ...

In Raiders, Indy reaches under the rapidly closing stone door to grab his whip just before it shuts.

In TOD, Indy does the same thing, but this time he reaches for his hat under the stone door....so this is a rehash of the same gag.

I guess I never connected the two gags before because in the Raiders version, it never struck me as humorous. The whip is a legitimate survival tool, and it's more reasonable that he would have risked his arm to get it back. But the hat....well, it's just a hat ... so the TOD version is more slapstick to me :)

One can view the Fedora as a comic reflection of Indy. As the hat goes, so goes Indy:
- Indy survives or escapes all manner of situations in a completely implausible manner...no broken bones, torn tendons, etc...not even after the truck chase in Raiders. Heck, Ford even injured himself more than once just pretending to do some of these scenes, notably the TOD back injury which necessitated revamping the shoot schedules

- The one situation when we are closest to believing Indy might have finally bought the farm, the hat blows off his head...our subconscious says: "wow, his hat's gone...does that mean he really went over the cliff"
- Then, after we discover he has leaped off the tank at the last second...again, implausibly...a serendipitous gust of wind blows the hat right back to him.

Well there you have why he risked his arm for it in TOD. It must be the place where he's hidden his life, so that as long as the hat exists he cannot die. No wonder it has a talent for staying on his head--his soul contained within the hat has a natural affinity for his body.

martinland

ValenciaGrail said:
[...]
That's one of the many many reasons why I love these movies so much...

Remember the BTS footage of the tank chase where Harrison has trouble in the real world just riding w/ the hat on?

There's even one fraction of a second (I'd say 4-6 frames) where the hat starts falling of in one shot when he's almost thrown into the truck and he yells "dad!". Only a quick cut could save him... ;) ;)

Bye,
Martin

PS:

I am so looking forward to sitting in the movie theater in three days! :whip:

Have to watch the Cannes red carpet stuff now... ;)

The Drifter

God'sRadio said:
Magically the hat is back despite being lost on the submarine. Or he bought another from the hat shop

I always liked to think that Katanga mailed his hat to Sallah, and Sallah in turned mailed it to Indy.

ValenciaGrail

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I always liked to think that Katanga mailed his hat to Sallah, and Sallah in turned mailed it to Indy.

In the Campbell Black novel version of ROTLA, he actually did lose the hat while swimming to the submarine.

This came up in the "top men" conversation with the Feds at the end, when Indy mused about everything he had lost during the whole expedition:
"My favorite hat, for openers"

ValenciaGrail

ATMachine said:
Well there you have why he risked his arm for it in TOD. It must be the place where he's hidden his life, so that as long as the hat exists he cannot die. No wonder it has a talent for staying on his head--his soul contained within the hat has a natural affinity for his body.

So now we know where JK Rowling got her inspiration for Horcruxes... :D

Michael24

martinland said:
There's even one fraction of a second (I'd say 4-6 frames) where the hat starts falling of in one shot when he's almost thrown into the truck and he yells "dad!". Only a quick cut could save him... ;) ;)

Yeah, I've always caught that. It's when he's straining to look into the hatch opening and yelling "Dad! Dad, the gun!" You can just barely see his hat get nudged off I believe just as the camera follows the falling gun down into the tank. Then in the next shot, his hat is squarely back on his head. :D

ValenciaGrail said:
In the Campbell Black novel version of ROTLA, he actually did lose the hat while swimming to the submarine.

This came up in the "top men" conversation with the Feds at the end, when Indy mused about everything he had lost during the whole expedition:
"My favorite hat, for openers"

I laughed when I read that. Funny that Indy actually notes the lost of his hat to the Army guys, and even earlier it's mentioned that Indy is basically lamenting the lose of his hat and whip. Haha!!

God'sRadio said:
Magically the hat is back despite being lost on the submarine. Or he bought another from the hat shop

Well, given that his hat in the final scene is grey and not brown I would assume that it's his replacement hat ;)

ATMachine

Laserschwert said:
Well, given that his hat in the final scene is grey and not brown I would assume that it's his replacement hat ;)
Technically speaking he shouldn't have that one either! He wore the grey hat (and the blue double-breasted suit) on the plane to Nepal. Unless he mailed it back home after arriving in Nepal I would think it should have gotten left behind wherever he left all his other luggage.