Has Harrison, dare I say, become rusty?

Perhilion

Don't forget he had just come off Sodium Pentathol, so he was bound to sound a tad groggy at the beginning. That also would explain why he misjudged the distance to Spalko's jeep ("I though that was a lot closer")
...I'm assuming that's like chloroform, yeah? I didn't know he had been drugged.

motifone

Didn't know he had been drugged. Was never mentioned in the movie, and if it was written in the novelization -- well, that does me no good.

That said, he certainly wasn't horrible. I enjoyed seeing him again as Indy, and he was particularly good when interacting with Shia. He's aged, and of course it's going to show. In a way, we are all saying the same thing -- aging is inevitable. Some actors can work their aging into the character; for me, Harrison struggled a bit with it. Just my opinion, but we all have our own.

For me, he was most awkward in the opening (weird dubbing) and in the FBI interrogation scene. Much of it could be the writing --- like the "Who is this woman?" clunker.

We'll agree to disagree :)

AndyLGR

I thought he was great in it, easily the best thing in the movie was Harrison. I agree the first scenes outside the hangar seemed a struggle, but from then on he was fine. I was impressed with how much of his own stunts it looked like he did, in particular the jumping between the 2 vehicles in the jungle, it looked like him to me.

Jim Tigernuts

swarbs said:
I was distracted by how growly his voice was and the lines were kind of awkard

?That can't be good at all!?

Apart from ?Somewhere, your? grandfather is laughing? (admittedly a poorly-written line), I thought the least convincing delivery was in the FBI interrogation, although perhaps the very "Harrison Ford" costume of a white t-shirt and jeans (was he wearing the ear-ring?) was partly to blame.

Indy in a white T-shirt and jeans? Now I can be screen-accurate ALL THE TIME! :D

Anyone else notice the way he says 'part-time' is different to that in the trailer? In the film, its quite high pitched and fast and lacks the gravitas of the trailer version. Must have been re-dubbed.....

I definitely agree with the majority. Harrison seemed off this time around. It?s been a while so I let this slide?but something was lacking in certain scenes.

Jim Tigernuts

Regarding the slurring, is it possible that he's getting Alzheimers or something similar? He was all over the place in the Leno interview, but other times he's very coherent.

Joel

There certainly were times where his age was showing, but it wasn't a problem for me. Don't forget, not only is Harrison 19 years older, but the story was written to portray Indiana 19 years after the events of Last Cruisade. It came accross as pretty accurate to me.

Eric Solo

Harrison Ford was asked by a member of the press about what he thinks when people say he's too old to play Indiana Jones. He said (with a smile) " I would like to take the time to personally kick all their asses. No, I'm not to old."

(y)

ValenciaGrail

Jim Tigernuts said:
Regarding the slurring, is it possible that he's getting Alzheimers or something similar? He was all over the place in the Leno interview, but other times he's very coherent.

Ford has always had a bit of an aloof and sometimes gruff mannerism in interviews. He's never been known for being gregarious and dynamic.

Those of us who were around when Star Wars first hit the theaters will remember this from "back in the day".

The Ford you see today is not necessarily due to pot smoking or other insidious root causes. This is just the way he is; a bit of a private person.

airbag-jones

ye i think Harrisons time as Indy is up...if they want to make an Indy 5 they should bring it back to the 30s were the series belongs and cast a differentt actor in the role of Indy(someone with possible similarities to Ford)....Ford just about convinced as the Indy we know in Crystal Skull

Grizzlor

There were a couple of parts where it looked like Harrison was dubbed back over himself, and it was out of sync. That looked weird. The scene in the radiation camber was excellent though. I never once thought to myself, this guy is too old. I was really surprised I didn't.

tnswman

Jim Tigernuts said:
?That can't be good at all!?

Apart from ?Somewhere, your? grandfather is laughing? (admittedly a poorly-written line), I thought the least convincing delivery was in the FBI interrogation, although perhaps the very "Harrison Ford" costume of a white t-shirt and jeans (was he wearing the ear-ring?) was partly to blame.

Indy in a white T-shirt and jeans? Now I can be screen-accurate ALL THE TIME! :D

You know, Since they steralized his clothes after the Blast..He couldn't quite run around nude could he?

Plus, at that time, he was under DETAINMENT....When youare detained, you wear ASSIGNED clothes.

That scene added a TON of depth to Indy's character.

tnswman said:
You know, Since they steralized his clothes after the Blast..He couldn't quite run around nude could he?

Plus, at that time, he was under DETAINMENT....When youare detained, you wear ASSIGNED clothes.

That scene added a TON of depth to Indy's character.

Yeah, a plain white T-shirt is the uniform of detainment. :rolleyes:

I was waiting for the Ford Finger and the line "You find that man!"

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:

Men wore T-shirts in the '50s, army men. They started wearing them around WWII. Even men of the older generation began wearing T-Shirts. Besides, he's not wearing it the whole movie.

http://www.zoozoo2.com/t-shirt-history.html

''By World War II both the US Navy and army were wearing standard issue t-shirts as underwear. However, it was really in the 1940’s that the t-shirt really got going with returning US servicemen.''

''During W.W.I, American troops wore wool uniforms during hot summer days in Europe and noticed European soldiers wearing lightweight cotton undershirts. This cool apparel caught on fast with the Americans and by W.W.II, both the Army and the Navy included them in their uniforms.

Up until the 1950’s, t-shirts were still considered underwear, until John Wayne, Marlon Brando, and James Dean shocked Americans by wearing their “underwear” on T.V. In 1955, James Dean helped make the T-shirt a standard item of clothing in Rebel Without a Cause.''

http://northshoreshirts.com/tshirthistory.html

The T-shirt was used heavily by the army, who Indy is being captured by. Being that his clothes are no longer good because of radiation, they issue him underclothes. They're not going to issue him a full dress suit to wear, especially since when they first capture him they're suspecting him being a communist sympathizer.

Last edited:

tnswman

Agent Spalko said:

Actually, It is..While you are being detained, you are NOT issued a uniform....You are given Whites which keeps you visible and vertually naked.

posts like yours is what makes you so ignorant sounding. do you have any idea of how to think for yourself, or does it all have to be written out for you in a movie?