General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Chris Jones

Mr.Skidmarks said:
Yeah, we need another one. I remember when TOD came out the reviews were scathing, people didn't like it much...and some still don't. But a majority did enjoy it and some even changed their minds about it over the over the years. When I saw it as a kid...I still liked it alot but something was off. It wasn't Raiders. Crap, Crusade wasn't Raiders for that matter. It was just easier to swallow the first time around. To me that was the begining of "slapstick" Indy. I still don't like what they did to Marcus but oh well. I think in time the fans will accept the new adventure realize it ranks up there with the originals.

I agree. I never really liked Temple, but i watched it a few months back and i really enjoyed the last 20 minutes of it a lot. It had great moments, though it is on the bottom of my list as an Indy film, it is still a great film non the less. Raiders and LC are my top favs. Kingdom was great as well and is a worthy addition.

As for the ending of Kingdom, i feel it left the door open for a fifth. I didn't want it to end, and it seemed Indy 4 was there and gone all to quickly. And with Spielberg saying he won't make another Indy film without Harrison (which is great!), we can expect Harrison back in the lead role if there is a fifth movie.

Yep, I think all of the Indy movies are very strong with each having their own weaknesses. I love them all to death (but Raiders is tops for me). Skull was fantastic and makes a great additon to an already outstanding series of movies. And I also thought it wizzed by all to quickly as well. Man, I really enjoyed it.

NamedAfterDaDog

Just as long as Harrison Ford is Indy, Spielburg directs, Lucas is.. somewhat... involved, and Mutt is still the SIDEKICK, I am just excited for Indy V as I was Indy IV.

Professor Jones

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. AND NO! No more useless and horrible sequels. They should have stopped to the Last Crusade. Indy 4 was a disaster IMHO. I personally wouldn't like to afford the risk of another similar catastrophe. STOP!

kevblee

I second that ...ony if Harrison is the lead. Oh, and maybe one other thing....like go back to the way Raiders was handled.

fedoraboy

If spielberg made crusade to make up for the shortcomings of doom, I think we are due at least another apology movie...just make sure its an Indy movie this time

Indy fan 235

Mr.Skidmarks said:
I always thought that haunted house idea Lucas had before it became TOD sounded promising. Probably will never see it but who knows.

I have heard Lucas wanted to do a Haunted House Indy, but never knew the exact idea. Does anyone know?

I'd love to see Nordic themes, or some time spent in Japan.

Shortie

I'd like to see it set in Africa (not North Africa) or Asia (not India), with the main character Indy & sidekicks are Mutt, Short Round (If Marion can return then Shortie can!) & Marion. Russians as bad guys again, maybe have a biblical artifact for Indy's last adventure.

MolaRam2

Mr.Skidmarks said:
I always thought that haunted house idea Lucas had before it became TOD sounded promising. Probably will never see it but who knows.

I actually really like the Haunted House idea. However, it would have to be played scary. It could have comic bits like the original trilogy, but it can't be totally goofy like KOTCS.

IndyCon

One thing I'd really like to see is the Chinese as the bad guys and part of the movie be set in China like the video game Indiana Jones and the Emperors Tomb.

Joel

CAUTION: HEAVY CRYSTAL SKULL SPOILERS AHEAD!

As far as a sequel goes...no. The ending more or less put Indiana into retirement. By marrying him up with Marion, it seems as though he has truly found his holy grail more than ever and is about to embark upon a whole new adventure - adventure. This is further accentuated with his son being brought into the picture.

If there were to be an Indiana 5, i'd say take a Temple of Doom approach and set it prior to the events of Crystal Skull.

jasperjones

Yeah, Atlantis is the obvious, safest choice. Would you go with a pretty straight adaptation of Fates of Atlantis with obvious tweaks for age and setting? There'd need to be a great reason everyone is after it.

To raise the stakes you could do something to do with a doomsday device or a flood, seeing as the Atlanteans were wiped out by a flood (supposedly), or would that just be the finale that happens as a result if whatever **** goes down?

I'd never bring Shorty back and I'd get rid of cameos in this one.

I'd love to do a prequel a la TOD but on the other hand if there was a good way to do it after the events of 4 that would make most sense franchise wise.

I think lake vostok would be pretty cool too. It's a vast underground lake way down deep under miles of ice somewhere in the former Soviet Union. Sounds really mysterious and I'd love to see ice, snow and cold for a bid chunk of the film. Shoot it on location and give it a real Hoth feel. Wind and snow and ice. Mountains, crevacces, avalanches, ice floes. Could be fantastic. I also think you could get some tension out of some kinf of cable car sequence.

I'd definitely have a volcano in there somewhere as well with some lava action at some point.

Joel

With the Atlantis film, I don't think continuing it after the events of The Crystal Skull would work, especially if you wanted to include Indy's short term love interest, Sophia Hapgood. Either that, or replace her with Marion, pre-marriage. But if we were to have Sophia, who would you have? I'd vote Julia Roberts.

jasperjones

I think that's what I'm getting at. You couldn't do it as a straight re-hash of FOA because it wouldn't fit now. Even if you did go the prequel route there'd be no point bothering with a different love interest because we know now that noone can compare with Marion.

I'd personally love to get the focus back on Indy more and reduce the ensemble 'gang's all here' vibe. The problem would be getting Indy, Mutt and Marion all on an adventure in a way that doesn't feel like the Mummy series. You probably can't actually. You can't have one of them being kidnapped because that's been done in both the last sequels. Unless Indy gets himself in trouble and they need to help him but not too keen on that either.

I'm thinking opening set on a sinking ship in the middle of the Bermuda Triangle. Sharks circling the boat (the Paramount Dissolve would be to a shark's fin as it slices through the waves - a nod to Jaws lol). Indy and his rival (who would be a younger, ruthless and cuthroat version of himself in many ways) out cold in the wreckage of the sinking boat. The boat sinking fast. Indy wakes as the water laps at his feet. Blood from his cuts dripping into the water. CUt back to the sharks. We could put some henchmen on here (at least one) who can fall into the water and get munched in a feeding frenzy. FOr some reason the idea of INdy crawling out over a mast to get from sinking ship to dry land appeals - Indy has to be careful with his weight because the mast is bobbing into the water. You could have a moment where his hat drops into the water. He can't lose his hat. He reaches down to grab it, fingers tantalisingly close to the hat-- A sahrk comes out of the water a la the old "chum some of this" moment in Jaws. If we use a great white, it sticks its head out of the water, which they do in real life. Indy finds himself face to face with killer shark much like he did with the Cobra. Or Mako's are known to jump out of the water onto the boat. SHark jumps in. Indy jumps out-- realizes mid-jump the water is teh last place he wants to be. Just catches onto the rigging on the side of the boat. Now he's stuck on the side of the boat, sharks circling in the water below. A mako shark snapping on deck above...

Possibly Indy escapes that scrape by just making it to a desert island. Attacked by Cannibals maybe. Traps. Temples. Possible volcano. If you did decide to go to Atlantis you could have him finding an artifact that the Cannibals worship. When he gets it back to Marshall he realizes it has special powers (contains clues to Atlantis) and the Commies and his rival are after it and him. Maybe he has to take Mutt and Marion because he knows full well that the Commies will use them as leverage against him. The race is on. That seems to make sense.

Yeah, that's it...Indy deals with the Commies that come for him but realizes with dread that they'll be going for Marion and Mutt so he has to race to get them out of there. We can make these Commies a bit meaner than the last bunch. Fortunately we know that if there's one family you don't want to mess with it's the Joneses. YOu could have a great Indy fight through Indy's house that completely trashes it, artefacts and all. Could be great humour as well as some classic Indy brawling, banter and flashes of Spielberg visual wit.

Not sure. Just some random ideas.