Kingdon Of the Crystal Skull Playset!!

tnswman

Ok, I LOVE to think that Hasbro listens to me and knows that I made it clear that they HAD to make a Playset for the 3.75" figures...However, I know better LOL!

BUT! That does not keep me from being excited about the confirmation of a BRAND NEW PLAYSET for the new figures.

Now, knowing what I know about how much HASBRO HATES making playsets ( because of the cost and that they usually don't sell ) I also knew deep in my bones that they would produce one for the new movie.

As when I was a kid, young boys and girls who play with the figures will be spending MUCH time building their own temples, Tombs, Traps, and environments out of everything from cardboard to Rocks and Moss ( I even used to line my "tombs" with real Pine resin torches LOL! )

So, Hasbro knowing that the Indy line generates actual play value JUST HAD to offer an "Official" playset.

I honestly don't know what the chances are that the playset will sell good are. I would like to think that they will sell well since the $70+ Lego set sells VERY well. However, Action figure playsets are always touch and go.

If Hasbro really puts a lot of interesting things within this set and offers at least one figure with it, I think it will sell well. The Sith playset which had 2 figures was said to have been a sales disaster, but they NEVER stayed on the shelves around here. That was a Neat playset.

I would like to think that the new playset would offer the ability to attach the Deluxe traps to the main set.

We could talk all day about what the set will be. I think that it will be the main Temple with an exterior fitting with the Russian Camps and Jungle environment.

What I really want to hope of is that IF this Playset sells well, Hasbro will make at LEAST one playset for each movie.

Can you folks imagine a TRUE TOD playset? How about a Raiders Opening Scene playset? Or a Holy Grail playset?

If you can talk about playsets, Let this be the place that we show Hasbro that our little corner of the Indy world is going to support their GIFT to us.

Arab Swordsman

I'm sure the temple in Indy 4 would make a good playset but I think the ultimate playset would be Temple of Doom. The beginning of Raiders would be close second but that huge statue of Kali along with a mine and cart sideset would just be spectacular. I'm hoping they'll make some smaller playsets like the Map Room, Well of Souls, and the Grail Temple but for a large scale one the TOD would have to be it.

You could have an opening floor where the sacrficial rack could be lowered into along in front of the Kali Statue. Then behind the statue you could have the playset for the mines that would include the wooden walkways, a mine cart track with cars, and the rock grinder conveyor belt. Oh, I almost forgot the little Mola Ram escape passage in front of the statue!

My other hope with the figures that really wouldn't be in the playset category would be vehicles. How cool would a Flying Wing and Last Crusade vehicle set be?

tnswman

Oh yes, For years I felt that the TOD playset would be AMAZING and still do. ( I want at least a rope bridge too ) However, I bet the new Temple will blow us away :)

Maye we will get both playsets before the line is over.

ChromiumBlue37

Hasbro stated that the Indiana Jones action figure line is expected to span more than a couple of years.

A Temple of Doom playset is an absolute "no-brainer". The statue of Kali is the exact same scale/proportion to the 3 3/4 as a 12 inch figure. Outstretched arms to hold a sacrificial cage, small base with skull that has 3 holes for the 3 Sankara stones and as Arab Swordsman stated a base with a secret compartment for Mola Ram to escape into.

tnswman

we all agree to tha there.. However, you need to go back and look to Hasbros CONSTANT hate of all things playsets and realize tha tif the KOTCS playset fails, we WILL NOT see another Indy playset. That's just how Hasbro rolls. they are too expensive to make with VERY LITTLE return.

Billy Ray

Yes, Hasbro has stated repeatedly in their Star Wars Q&As that playsets are no longer marketble like they were in the 70's/80's...whatever. The few attempts that they have made in the modern Star Wars line have been kind of weak and not sold all that well. Indy tends to lend it self to playsets better though IMO.

I'd kill for the Raider's temple from the intro! Heck, Hasbro might even have these old Kenner plans to work from (whihc you can read more about at Raiders of the Lost Toys):

templeplayset.gif

But what would be really awesome is if they did a hybrid Raiders playset like this unproduced prototype from Galoob's Micromachine line with the Well of the Souls on one side and the intro temple on the other:

Micro4.jpg

Micro0.jpg

That would rock in 3 3/4" scale!

tnswman

Billy Ray said:
Yes, Hasbro has stated repeatedly in their Star Wars Q&As that playsets are no longer marketble like they were in the 70's/80's...whatever. The few attempts that they have made in the modern Star Wars line have been kind of weak and not sold all that well. Indy tends to lend it self to playsets better though IMO.

I'd kill for the Raider's temple from the intro! Heck, Hasbro might even have these old Kenner plans to work from (whihc you can read more about at Raiders of the Lost Toys):

templeplayset.gif

But what would be really awesome is if they did a hybrid Raiders playset like this unproduced prototype from Galoob's Micromachine line with the Well of the Souls on one side and the intro temple on the other:

Micro4.jpg

Micro0.jpg

That would rock in 3 3/4" scale!

I actually would not be surprised if this is not something that we see with the 1/64th scale Indy playset this year. I think they can cover more ground with that set and will do so.

Who knows, Maybe they will make that set itself and just scale it to 1/64.

tnswman

CartoonistChris said:
Are they doing something with the smaller scale? Officially? that would be amazing - I love the small scale stuff.

YES!! It is listed as 1:64th scale which is the size of Hot Wheels.

ForbiddenEye

Arab Swordsman said:
You could have an opening floor where the sacrficial rack could be lowered into along in front of the Kali Statue. Then behind the statue you could have the playset for the mines that would include the wooden walkways, a mine cart track with cars, and the rock grinder conveyor belt. Oh, I almost forgot the little Mola Ram escape passage in front of the statue!

We need to all admit it...we all want a Temple of Doom playset just so we can lower our action figures in the cage down into a pit of lava while shouting "KALIMAH!!! KALIMAH!!!"

Heh heh. You know you want too....
(y)

deckard24

ForbiddenEye said:
We need to all admit it...we all want a Temple of Doom playset just so we can lower our action figures in the cage down into a pit of lava while shouting "KALIMAH!!! KALIMAH!!!"

Heh heh. You know you want too....
(y)
That's awesome!

Yeah, I sure wanted to as a kid. I didn't have any good substitutes for lava though.;)

deckard24

Thanks for the link Jack! A German jeep with mounted gun, and a truck with an attachable whip to drag Indy...awesome!! By the way, great username!

"Like I told my last wife, I said, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. and besides...it's all in the reflexes." Jack Burton

metalinvader

deckard24 said:
Thanks for the link Jack! A German jeep with mounted gun, and a truck with an attachable whip to drag Indy...awesome!! By the way, great username!

Awesome news indeed..But what about these three...

I also saw a set of Indiana Jones and the Ark of the Covenant, Marion and a Cairo henchman 2-pack and something that had me jumping up and down for joy: a German Soldier 2-pack.

A 3 3/4 scale Ark!!

Last edited:

JackBurton

@deckard24

Indy w Ark sounds great. I hope there will be pictures soon. Damn "no photograph policy":(