Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Archaeology
User Name
Password

Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 PM   #26
adventure_al
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingboy
If the rumors of a Mutt spin-off (or at least a Mutt-centered Indy V) are true, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something more recent, because I don't exactly see Mutt reading Ancient Babylonian from tablets...

Unless of course he listening to daddy and goes back to school. plus picking stuff up off the parents.

could go either way. If they are going to do it an adventure with a relatively modern treasure would probably suit more though.
adventure_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #27
Seaner
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillKill4Food
Fountain of Youth has the same powers as the Holy Grail.
That would be repetitive, don't you think?
Besides, Pirates of the Caribbean 4 (if produced) is supposedly going to involve a search for the Holy Grail. Two summer movies with the same McGuffin? That's just bad, especially since Pirates 4 will suck anyway.
a fourth one? i was lost at the first seconds of the second one
Seaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #28
whipem
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaner
a fourth one? i was lost at the first seconds of the second one

I agree. The first was great, but afterwards they went to a ridiculous scale.
whipem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #29
theneogon
IndyFan

Thats what I hope doesn't happen to Indy if they make more. Throwing a ton of money and CGI into a movie doesn't make it better (unforcentally it does usually make more money).

Anyway lets get back to the artifacts (thats what i started this forum about). Can anyone think of any Eastern ones? Buddhist, Hindu, ect.
theneogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:36 PM   #30
otto rahn
IndyFan

I wouldn't mind seing Indy trying to find some form of mystical weapon. The Spear of Longinus, Excalibur,Durindal (spelling ? Roland's sword),Thor's hammer etc before some (unspecified) group bent on world domination can get hold of it.
otto rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:38 PM   #31
The Tingler
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Pandora's Box!

Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life (film) did that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneogon
The staff/rod of Moses/Aaron would be interesting. They are a lot of cool powers associated with it, including the plagues of Egypt! Also it has a tendency to turn into a snake, which wouldn't suit well with Indy, lol.

95% certain this is going to be the MacGuffin of the next Indiana Jones game, so that's out as a film one.

Thor's Hammer Mjolnir was a good one Otto, I'm just worried that it's a bit too comic-booky (especially with the movie Thor based on the Marvel comic coming out soon). Might as well have the Shield of Captain America in there!

Excalibur was always rumoured. Tomb Raider Legend (game) did it and quite well, but that's the one artifact Indy's not really gone for (apart from a fan script). They'd have to link it to another legend though, like Crystal Skulls to El Dorado... personally I don't think it's cool enough to hold a movie.

My choice? Atlantis. Not a chance of it happening due to both Spielberg and Lucas being fans of the really really good computer game, but it's perfect.

And my original, not done before and only slightly fictional MacGuffin? The Scythe of Death. Originally held by the greek god Kronus, guardian of life and harvesting, it became the symbol of the Grim Reaper - so could be said to be a weapon of both life and death. And it's got a Biblical connection too - the Angel of Death met Moses in the desert and is sometimes called Samael.

Might work better for Lara Croft though. Still, at least it's original and people have heard of it! (even if it's totally fictional)

Last edited by The Tingler : 05-27-2008 at 12:49 PM.
The Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:58 PM   #32
Indy fan 235
IndyFan

Thor's hammer would be great. Or Excalibur. Those are two items I would love to see Indy go after.
Indy fan 235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #33
Gamingboy
IndyFan

Thor's hammer (Mjolnir) would never work, since a THOR movie will be coming out soon. Maybe a lesser Nordic god item would work (doesn't Odin have a big spear?)
Gamingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 PM   #34
Snakes
IndyFan

How about the heart of Davy Jones?
Snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #35
theneogon
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakes
How about the heart of Davy Jones?

We could have Indiana Jones and the Pirates of the Caribbean!

The Scythe of Death is an interesting idea. It sounds like it would lend its self to a darker Indy movie.
theneogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:29 PM   #36
whipem
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy fan 235
Thor's hammer would be great. Or Excalibur. Those are two items I would love to see Indy go after.

There was a script written up for the latter. I read it a couple years ago and liked it, but then again, at that age I would have taken anything Indy-related. Maybe I should check it out again when I have the time.
whipem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #37
Vance
IndyFan

His and Sophia's lovechild?

His and Willie's lovechild?

Really, it depends on what they do with IJ5 (if anything). If it's in the 1950s era, then I would do things like 'Lost Nazi Secrets', 'cause that was huge in the time. Secret weapons, stolen artifacts from all over Europe, etc.. all it takes is /something/ amiss in all that.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #38
BenderJones
IndyFan

I love this topic, but a quick question...
Are the novels and comic book series considered canon?
BenderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 PM   #39
robweiner8
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderJones
I love this topic, but a quick question...
Are the novels and comic book series considered canon?
Well, some seem to think so because they were mentioned in the Lost Journal. Check out this thread
robweiner8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 10:56 PM   #40
BenderJones
IndyFan

Thank you...

That was very interesting...

It reminds me of what Lucas has stated about the Expended Universe in Star Wars. Basically, if it was not in one of the films or in the young Indy chronicles, than it’s open for debate. I have no problem dropping the novels and comics from the film canon. It opens the door wide for other artifacts like The Spear of Destiny, The Philosophers stone (Yes, this ones connection to the Potter kid would make it difficult to make into a film) the Golden fleece, Atlantis & Noah’s ark… just to name a few. There are thousands of items (both real and mythical) throughout history that could be a possibility. I think the real problem is deciding on something that is on the level of the past items. Also, deciding on something that could be made relevant to the late 50’s and 1960’s. One more thing, I’d like to see the next film take place in either the South Seas or Australia/New Zealand. Two areas we have not seen at least in the films.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #41
The Tingler
IndyFan

Both Lucas and Spielberg have made it clear that they only want original ideas for MacGuffins if they're going to make a movie out of them. While a Crystal Skull did feature in Max McCoy's Indy books, it was a completely different skull in both appearance and theme.

So if it's been hunted by Indy in a) a game, b) a book, c) a comic book or d) a fan script/film/radio show it's probably not going to get done.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #42
Agent Z
IndyFan

The Evil Tiki from "The Brady Bunch"!

"The Destroyer of Bradys"
Agent Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #43
Stork
IndyFan

$101,000,000... yeah I think there will be another...

I think it is safe to say that $101,000,000 on opening weekend means Indy 5 will be made. Now what will Indy 5 be about is anyones guess. But I venture to say that we should be seen a son/dad flick much like Last Crusade, but with a passing of the torch (Whip and hat) feel to it.
First, it will be made late 50's early 60's adding some age and experience to Mutt. Indy will also be older and thus more akin to passing on his legacy. So question is what should they go after? I think it should be something that will piss off the commies, either Chinese or Russians.
Russia you have the famous Amber room. with Nazi ties, etc. could be fun.
And China, yes I have to say it, Emperors tomb (lets just pretend there was no game), It is a very good way to build a plot. The Emperor wanted immortality, and he found it, but its secrets are deep with in the tomb.
China claims that they have yet to uncover the entrance of the Tomb let alone know what is inside.... or are they hiding something? Maybe they have already been inside and found nothing, because Indiana Jones and Jr. where there first. So for China, to save themselves from embarrassment, claim they have yet to find the tomb, that is until they retrieve the secret to immortality. Which could lead to a modern Indiana Jones!
Anyway that's my two cents, I'm already starting to write the book... what should it be called..hmmm
Stork
Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #44
adam_jones
IndyFan

I think it would be good to have the spear of destiny but you need some other artefacts to reach it, i.e. a 'key' of sorts, similar to the staff of Ra head piece to find the ark. that way we have two mcguffin searches, the 'key' like in Raiders and eventually the spear, in a similar manner to the 3 tasks before the grail. best of both worlds.
Adam
You wana be a good archaeologist..you gotta get out of the library-Indiana Jones
adam_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #45
BenderJones
IndyFan

Well, I’ve spent a little time looking for that direct quote Tingler…I couldn’t find it…can you post it? Thank you…What I did find is Lucas and Spielberg saying “ The MacGuffin is the key. Before the Sankara stones [which became the focus of the second film in the trilogy, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom], we'd had ideas for all kinds of other MacGuffin things. Some of them were original ones, that were in the [proposed] stories that I did.”

With that said, I believe if another film is made it could involve an item that was used before…However, I don’t think it is very likely…The only four of the macguffins that I think could even be used in a film are The Spear of Destiny, the Golden fleece, Atlantis or Noah’s ark…The rest are too thin.

Here are just a few other ones that I don’t think have been used before. and have a few or Some could have supernatural powers or be worked into a religious significance...

The Tree of Life
The Book of the Dead
The Book of Thoth
Shangri La
The True Cross
Excalibur
Achilles' Armor
Hades Helmet
The Golden Apple
The Three Sacred Treasures of Japan
A newly found Antikythera Mechanism
Coso Artifact or some other Out-of-time /Out-of-place artifact

Check these out…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythical_objects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out-of-place_artifact

Food for thought!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 11:13 PM   #46
Gamingboy
IndyFan

I was looking up stuff today on Wikipedia (seriously, you get lost in there) and found something interesting: the tale of Xu Fu. He was a Chinese explorer a while back that left for "Mount Penglai" to receive the Elixir of Life from the 8 Immortals of the mountain. There is much discussion of where "Penglai" is/was, but many say it's Japan. Another thing is that supposedly each of the "Eight Immortals" had an object of power: a tablet that cleansed the environment, a fan that could raise the dead, etc.

Sounds like a damn good thing to look for to me. Could even be combined with the Yamashiita Gold Legend (the things from Mount Penglai were hidden with the gold, perhaps?)
Gamingboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #47
The Tingler
IndyFan

Peng Lai mountain features strongly in the stories of the First Emperor - and also in Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb.

Quote:
Well, I’ve spent a little time looking for that direct quote Tingler…I couldn’t find it…can you post it?

Heh, well I'm sure they've said it before - but I actually read it in a interview with Hal Barwood (an old friend of Spielberg and Lucas and project director of Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine, if you don't know). This was in this month's issue of Retro Gamer magazine! I might get it just for this article, it was great!

If it wasn't almost certainly being done in the next Indiana Jones game, I'd say the Staff of Moses/Aaron was absolutely perfect. I've just put up a little history of its coolness here. It caused a lot of the Seven Plagues of Egypt (including the River of Blood, turning the skies dark, and the fiery hail from the sky), helped win a great battle and parted the Red Sea. It is described a couple times as the Power of God - by God Himself no less!

It also works thematically with Indy, for it deals with Snakes several times, even being turned into a giant serpent at one point, and was supposedly placed instead the Ark of the Covenant!

And if you still don't think it's cool, check out this picture:

Last edited by The Tingler : 05-29-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #48
Jackson
IndyFan

Indy 5 title

The title for Indy 5 should be

Indiana Jones and the lost library of the mayan itza.

There are only three mayan books left in the world. The rest were burned by bishop de landa according to history. However the maya of tayasal had thousands of the ancient books shipped deep into the jungles of southern Belize to hide them from the spanish. When the library is found the knowlege gained will help bring the return of Kulkucan the ancient mayan god. The lost mayan library is a true legend. Its a amazing story. Type it into google.

Jackson (daryl)
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #49
agentsands77
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamingboy
It is said that as the tide began to turn in WWII, a Japanese General named Yamas*h*i*t*a hid loot that had been stolen from China, Korea, Philippines, India, etc. in a small series of caverns and caves somewhere in the most remote areas of the Philippines, both out of spite and for possible retrieval if he survived the war. Some say these caves are just a huge hoax, since it would have made more sense to hide the loot in Japan or possibly Southeast China. Some say that it was true, but that gangsters and crooked politicians long ago looted it. Some say that to this day, Yamas*h*i*ta's gold lays undiscovered in the Filipino rain forest....
Not a bad idea. Perhaps among the loot is an artifact that leads to a source of great power... the palace of the Dragon King, where the tide stones are kept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by |ZiR|
I think it's best to steer clear from artifacts with strong biblical themes. I know that's what most people want, but we've done that twice already.
I agree. If it is going to be a Biblical artifact, it'll have to be framed in a very different manner from RAIDERS and CRUSADE.
agentsands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #50
bflah91989
IndyFan

I am a big fan of Irish Mythology, and would like to see Irish Mythology play a role in an Indiana Jones adventure. I had attempted to turn the Tain Bo Cuailnge into an Indy story, but could not figure it out, but in the hands of a good author I think it could work.

In the Tain bo Cuailnge the Brown Bull
dies from wounds sustained in the fight with Finnbeannacht
. However, the purpose of the cattle raid was for wealth and power. So I can imagine the Brown Bull (Donn Cuailnge) as an object that could deliver wealth and power to however has it. Indy could be in race between both the Irish who want to unite Ireland, and the British who want to exploit the power.

The only problem with the Brown Bull is no one has really heard of the Tain bo Cuailnge, and there is the lack of foreign locations outside of Ireland.

Another artifact that Indiana Jones could search for is Cu Chulainn's gae bolg, but I cannot think of a good back story for that.
bflah91989 is offline   Reply With Quote