Ark burns US warehouse crate?

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
It was never put on to the VHS or DVDs. It was only in the original release...and perhaps, only at a few showings. My folks saw the movie opening night...two years before I came onto the scene (they saw ToD just before my birth).
The reason why it was cut was because George & Steven decided that God was actually on the side of the USA and thus should not burn away the markings...or so they say.

Stoo

I would tend to think it was only a few showings and was
going to ask you if your folks were at a test screening or
special "sneak-preview" premiere. Plus, I can testify that
at least one other cut was made within the first month.

In the past there've been examples of a scene being pulled
immediately after opening night (Ex. "King Kong") but this is
blowing my mind! :)

For Joe Brody, what are the '91 McDonald's vintage VHS? :confused:

For Aaron, *how* have you seen this cut clip?
Please, indulge my appetite for missing scenes. :)

Stoo

soapboxtop said:
Memory failing, that's how I explain it :eek:.

Possibly not...Do you remember the shot being in the cargo hold
or the final warehouse scene?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Stoo said:
Possibly not...Do you remember the shot being in the cargo hold
or the final warehouse scene?

I remember it on the Cargo hold. I also remeber seeing a scene captured in the novels about Indy stopping before the spider romm in the peruvian temple to gather some artifacts for the sandbag...Is this a regressed memory?

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
I remember it on the Cargo hold. I also remeber seeing a scene captured in the novels about Indy stopping before the spider romm in the peruvian temple to gather some artifacts for the sandbag...Is this a regressed memory?

I think everyone remembers a burning logo in the cargo hold! ;)
However, Soapboxtop said "...ark at the end burns the logo of the crate."
which would indicate the D.C. warehouse and reinforces Aaron's claim.

About *seeing* artifacts before the spiders. Are you "yankin' my chain"?
I read the novel only once - don't own it. He puts them in the sandbag?

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:

In the original comic book there's a panel devoted to Indy stopping at a shelf (outside the room holding the Idol) to gather a couple of trinkets. It was done to show where he got the 'good pieces' Indy later gives to Marcus. Could that be the source of the memory? I believe the comic was based on the original story boards.

Aaron, I was in the first matinee showing the first day -- and while I was only on my way into seventh or eighth grade at the time -- I have no memory of the second burning scene. I can't believe all those prints of the film were cut after being shipped - I've never heard of anything like that happening.

Stoo, back in '91 McDonald's had a promotion where you could get all three of the Indy films. Back then movies weren't released in 3-4 months after the original theatrical release so it was a big deal when a blockbuster like the Indy films came out on VHS. It was a coup for McDonald's and I'd say a hugely successful promotion. As a gift my brother got me copies of Raiders and Last Crusade -- there was no need to get me ToD.

Last edited:

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Joe Brody said:
Aaron, I was in the first matinee showing the first day -- and while I was only on my way into seventh or eighth grade at the time -- I have no memory of the second burning scene. I can't believe all those prints of the film were cut after being shipped - I've never heard of anything like that happening.
Perhaps, and I'm not sure as to why exactly (thus the word "perhaps"), it was because only a few prints had that scene in it? Either as an error or as a test to see how people reacted to it.

I've seen the short clip from a "friend"...and I'm not saying anything more than that.;)

Joe Brody

[half-jokingly]I'm gonna have to break into the Ranch . . . or is it the Presidio (???) to resolve this . . . I"m starting to get a 'recovered memory' of the second burning as the crate is pushed down the warehouse. . . .

I don't doubt the footage was shot -- there's a neat symetry with the two crates. I just really question if the footage was ever really in the film as released. The whole point of the final scene is to dis-engage the audience by pulling back. A second close-up much later in the scene doesn't work. I could see it at the end of the credits before the reversion to the Paramount Logo but nowhere else.

Last edited:

Indy500

Joe Brody said:
[Incidentally, I'm in the same bind in another film. At the end of the original Murder By Death, the Sidney Wang character and his adopted son are fleeing the mansion in their car. They come across a lost Sherlock Holmes and Watson type who ask directions. They give the directions. This sequence has been dropped from all versions -- I assume because of some copyright flap. I have no proof it was in the actual film but I know it was there. So I feel for you -- and acknowledge that you may well be right.]

I saw Murder By Death three or four times when it was in the theaters for it's initial run. (Twice with my brother and once with the whole family)

I don't recall any meeting with Sherlock Holmes.

Joe Brody

Indy500 said:
I saw Murder By Death three or four times when it was in the theaters for it's initial run. (Twice with my brother and once with the whole family)

I don't recall any meeting with Sherlock Holmes.

You're not the first to tell me this. That's why I really identify with Aaron on this one.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Not to mention there were three cuts of Star Wars Epsiode I back in '99. One had Darth Maul fall into the pit whole, the other had just his top half, and the other (the one on all the DVDs) has him falling into the pit whole but then splitting in half.

Also. if I recall, there were seven or so different cuts of Star Wars in '77 with various snipits missing or added (nothing major, just minor things).

Stoo

Colonel Vogel said:
As I said before the scene is on my Region 4 Australian DVD. :whip:

When you first mentioned it, I think most people probably thought you
were referring to the cargo hold scene. At least, I did. Thank you for
confirming this truly, stupefying revelation!!! :D Wow!

CALLING ALL AUSTRALIAN DVD REGION 4 OWNERS
Is there anyone out there who could make a screen capture and post it?!?
Neolithic (if you're reading this), do you have the time/ability?

Aaron, thanks for answering my query. No need to bust your chops any further!;)
Thanks, of course, to *soapboxtop* from bringing this up in the first place...

For Joe Brody - Cool news about the McD's Indy offer. Do you remember any
promotional TV commercials? Are the boxes any different or are they just
the standard packaging? The thing is, all 3 movies were available on video
well before '91 so when you called them "vintage", it confused me.

Finally, there is a part in the novel where Toht is waiting to see Hitler.
Does anyone have any background info on this scene? Was it filmed? :confused:
I'm trying to compile a list of deleted scenes. If one already exists...
...please, stop me now.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
the final scene in the warehouse that has the American flag being burned away
I highly doubt this, Aaron H. God burns an American flag in some version of one of the biggest films of all time, and no critic or commentator ever notices? The burden of proof rests on the few who claim to have seen this. Let's have a link to any video, picture, description or mention of the scene outside of this thread. Anyone?

If the scene is on mass-marketed VHS, Beta, Laserdisc, or DVD somewhere in the world, this should be easy. I've googled and found nothing. How about a link to the Amazon.com DVD comment that started this rumor?

It's not in the novelization. It's not in Kasdan's script. Perhaps only "TOP SECRET - ARMY INTEL. #9906753 - DO NOT OPEN!" burns away? I showed a 35mm print of Raiders at my university cinema recently... it's not there (I'm aware it could have been a rerelease print).

Help he out here, folks. I'm searching for the facts. Not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Doctor Tyree's Philosophy class is right down the hall.