Whatcha playin? (Video games wise.)

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
I'm back on Fallout 3, I never finished the story. Also, I can't believe how much I missed playing it! (y)

Picked this up today, and I'm pleatantly surprised to have find it works on my Windows 7 64 bit. It looks good, but the combat system seems strange at first (pausing play to select where you want to strike - much like a paper and pen roleplaying game).

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Picked this up today, and I'm pleatantly surprised to have find it works on my Windows 7 64 bit.
Out of curiosity, why did you possibly think it wouldn't?

Indy's brother

Montana Smith said:
Picked this up today, ...........It looks good, but the combat system seems strange at first (pausing play to select where you want to strike - much like a paper and pen roleplaying game).

You're right about that, but there is something morbidly satisfying about methodically picking out which part you want to blow off, especially if you get the "Bloody Mess" perk.:eek:

Montana Smith

Finn said:
Out of curiosity, why did you possibly think it wouldn't?

I was searching for the answer as to whether it would or wouldn't by reading comments on different message boards: the verdict was mixed. Some people had it working, and others didn't.

Some of my games that played fine on XP won't work with Windows 7 - even in compatibility mode. Some of the problem is with the copy protection on the disc being out of date (e.g., I can't play Toca Race Driver 1 or 2, or King Kong. And Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory only worked after I downloaded the 'no cd' hack).

Indy's brother said:
You're right about that, but there is something morbidly satisfying about methodically picking out which part you want to blow off, especially if you get the "Bloody Mess" perk.

It's pretty gruesome when you blow someone's head off and see it rolling away, then notice a jaw bone at your feet!

I realized after I bought the game at a boot sale today that I already had a big hardback Fallout 3 guide - bought out of curiosity at the same boot sale last summer. The game looks massive.

I also bought Call of Juarez which looks as nice as Far Cry, but the 'puzzles' are getting in the way of the gunfights!

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
I also bought Call of Juarez which looks as nice as Far Cry, but the 'puzzles' are getting in the way of the gunfights!

The first Call of Juarez, or the second one?
I enjoyed both, but the first one was great, in my opinion.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
The first Call of Juarez, or the second one?
I enjoyed both, but the first one was great, in my opinion.

It must be the first one, as it's just titled 'Call of Juarez' (and dated 2010 on the back).

I didn't think my graphics card would be up to the job, but it appears to be better than I expected. It reminds me of 'Gun', only much better looking, and more interactive.

The Drifter

Spoilers, maybe?

Hmmmmm. The first one came out before 2010. Is it the one where you can play as Billy Candle and the badass Reverend?

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Hmmmmm. The first one came out before 2010. Is it the one where you can play as Billy Candle and the badass Reverend?

Yes, it's the one with Billy and the Rev.

The cover is very similar to this:

4030.jpg

But mine has an 18 certificate on it.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
Yes, it's the one with Billy and the Rev.

Yes, that's the first one. I enjoyed that game a lot, pick up part two, Bound in Blood when you can.
It's a prequel with the Reverend and his brother.

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Yes, that's the first one. I enjoyed that game a lot, pick up part two, Bound in Blood when you can.
It's a prequel with the Reverend and his brother.

I'll certainly look out for that.

As for the 18 certificate, it soon became apparent that it wasn't just for the violence, when Suzy went down on her knees...

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
I'll certainly look out for that.

As for the 18 certificate, it soon became apparent that it wasn't just for the violence, when Suzy went down on her knees...

Hah, yes! I remember that part. Funny thing is, that they show that, but scold you when you try to shoot a dead person or animal!

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Hah, yes! I remember that part. Funny thing is, that they show that, but scold you when you try to shoot a dead person or animal!

That was one good thing with 'Gun' - you could shoot a horse from under a rider.

I think the 'Juarez' crew might have been fans of Indy. First there was the bullwhip, and then a mine cart chase. :whip:

The Drifter

Have you played Red Dead Redemption yet, Smitty?
Easily the best western game ever made, and it even ranks as one of my favorites games that I've played in the last ten years (maybe even EVER).

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Have you played Red Dead Redemption yet, Smitty?
Easily the best western game ever made, and it even ranks as one of my favorites games that I've played in the last ten years (maybe even EVER).

I'd love to play RDR, but it's not a PC game, is it? I don't have another games playing machine.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
I'd love to play RDR, but it's not a PC game, is it? I don't have another games playing machine.

Sadly, I don't think that it is.
If you can ever get a chance to experience it, do so without hesitation!

Montana Smith

The Drifter said:
Sadly, I don't think that it is.
If you can ever get a chance to experience it, do so without hesitation!

Will do.

Another Juarez Indy-ism just presented itself: death by rolling boulders!

Nurhachi1991

Lol anyone hear about the miserable pile of fail Call of Juarez the Cartel?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
Lol anyone hear about the miserable pile of fail Call of Juarez the Cartel?

Yes, Nurch'; I've read about that. I doubt I'll be picking that one up. I guess that they became afraid of the titan called Red Dead Redemption, and decided against returning to the Old West.
I have no idea why they chose to go in this direction, but it's something that I'm not interested in in the least.

Indy's brother

HAHAHA!!! VICTORY! On the basis of this thread, I decided to download the Dead Space game onto my iPhone, turns out that (today) it's 67% off for some reason. 5 bucks. Now if I can only find a way to link the phone to my Macbook Pro and use it as a monitor and the phone as a controller.......:D