Indy catches egg in ToD deleted scene?

Stoo

Hanselation said:
I own this four german VHS Temple Of Doom VHS Cassette-Editions and none of them includes the egg scene.
(sorry for the bad picture quality)
Very grateful for your help in the investigation, Hanselation. Let's hope Sankara has other VHS versions. If not...the quest won't be at the end of the road...;)
inky_skin said:
Like a certain FBI Agent, I want to believe. However, it's in my nature to be a skeptic.
Agent Scully?:confused: By nature you're a skeptic, which I'm typically on board with. However, in this case, Skeptic = Schmeptic...:p
Lance Quazar said:
Oh, I thought you meant scenes from "Temple of Doom." Still, 2 out of 3 scenes on that Crusade list are news to me. Very interesting. Though the Sallah scene sounds utterly pointless and hammy.
Lance, maybe you read too quickly because I did say that the 3 scenes were from "Crusade".

To my knowledge, "Temple of Doom" is the ONLY Indy film where there is NO footage of the many, many deleted scenes (apart from a few seconds of Chatter Lal & the lava pit)!

Anyway, I checked out my rare, 1984 TV special and the egg scene is not there...Stupid me! I only recorded 18 minutes of it!:eek:

dr.jones1986

Lance Quazar said:
I remember that from the novelization! I did read that the year the film came out and do remember some additional scenes, as well. Like Willie escaping the temple and being recaptured.

The Mola Ram thing is definitely confusing - if Mola Ram was just under the black sleep, then who was the Thuggee Patient Zero, the REAL mastermind behind the cult? Who gave him the blood to begin with? Chatter Lal? Someone else?

Glad that wasn't in the finished film. I think Mola Ram should have been a TRUE believer, not just some mysterious unseen person's else's dupe.

I agree with you about Mola Ram. It would have really cheapened the character if he was just another brain washed lackey. Im glad that was something that was cut from the film.

Hanselation

Hanselation said:
indyvhs.JPG

I own this four german VHS Temple Of Doom VHS Cassette-Editions and none of them includes the egg scene.
(sorry for the bad picture quality)
And this one is a version I don't own:
missingvhs.JPG

But because it was released between the other ones, I dont think the egg scene will be in there.
Does anybody here have this VHS-Cassette?

Stoo

"Heroes and Sidekicks" Complete Copy Request

Hanselation said:
Does anybody here have this VHS-Cassette?
Maybe Dennis Bruhn (Sankara) does? I wrote Flannery10 asking him for more specifics about which red version he had. Waiting for a reply...

Question for Hanselation, JayDee & JackBurton: Doesn't "Tempel des Todes" translate as "Temple of Death"? The warning labels on Swiss cigarette packs are in German, French & Italian and the German warning says, "Rauchen ist tödlich." ("Smoking is deadly").

Does anyone here have a COMPLETE copy of the rare, CBS TV special from November 1984, "Heroes and Sidekicks: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"? It was hosted by William Shatner. Unfortunately, I only recorded 18 minutes but it was a 1 hour show (without commercials, approx. 47 mins.):

HeroesSidekicks_Small.jpg

Hanselation

Stoo said:
Question for Hanselation, JayDee & JackBurton: Doesn't "Tempel des Todes" translate as "Temple of Death"? The warning labels on Swiss cigarette packs are in German, French & Italian and the German warning says, "Rauchen ist tödlich." ("Smoking is deadly").

Yes, you're right: "Tempel of Doom" was translated into "Tempel des Todes", which means "Temple of Death". Maybe the german film distributor thought it sounds better than the right respectively better translation "Tempel der Verdammnis".
And the gag is :The first title idea of the movie was "Temple of Death", but it was changed by Spielberg an Lucas to "Temple of Doom" :D

JayDee

Stoo said:
Doesn't "Tempel des Todes" translate as "Temple of Death"?

Yes. Correctly "Temple of Doom" would mean "Tempel des Untergangs" in German.

Edit: Damn, Hans war schneller -.-

Stoo said:
Does anyone here have a COMPLETE copy of the rare, CBS TV special from November 1984, "Heroes and Sidekicks: Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom"?
Check out my YouTube channel throughout tonight...:hat:

With or without commercials?

chapter11

Lance Quazar said:
Insufficient.

That's crap. I saw the scene in the theaters and came here to the Raven years ago to ask if anyone else had ever seen it, after I noticed it wasn't in my VHS or DVD copies of the movie. The suggestion of the scene's existence didn't influence my memory. I remembered the scene and sought out an answer as to why I couldn't find it. Period, end of story.

Henry W Jones

I can find my girlfriends little brothers mom who disappeared across the country 14+ years ago online. Yet when I search for deleted scenes from temple of doom I find everything known except the egg scene. When I type in cut scene temple of doom catches egg I get directed to this post. I hope you find it but I think we are all going to be disappointed. From what I can tell there is no physical evidence it was actually filmed. Sounds corny anyways.

Sharkey

chapter11 said:
That's crap. I saw the scene in the theaters and came here to the Raven years ago to ask if anyone else had ever seen it, after I noticed it wasn't in my VHS or DVD copies of the movie. The suggestion of the scene's existence didn't influence my memory. I remembered the scene and sought out an answer as to why I couldn't find it. Period, end of story.
That's crap, the Camping Rapture Freaks have one up on you, at least their beliefs could be proven wrong.(n)

Lance Quazar

chapter11 said:

Or, alternatively, you read about it in a book and thought you saw it. Independent of anyone else or any further discussion. My point is that this happens ALL THE TIME.

Where did you see the movie in theaters? There has been discussion that it may have only existed in foreign prints, since virtually 100% of viewers (at least American viewers) claim no such memory.

Memory is extremely imprecise.

For my money, I feel it is far, far more likely that a group of folks are misremembering something from a book or comic (heck, sometimes false memories don't even need a source that specific) than that this mystery scene actually existed, but only in certain prints and that there isn't one shred of verifiable evidence for it in the present.

As always, I await to be proven wrong. But the burden is definitely on the Eggheads.

You know, an eggcellent eggsperiment would be for each of you who contend you've seen this scene, draw the shots as you remember them. Framed from memory without consulting one another, and post them here.

I tried to imagine just how I would have visualized a such a scene, and without ANY proof, comparing sketches in this way might shed more light on the questions proffered.

Stoo, you're a fine artist, but it's not a requisite. You've already posted how you remember the progression and the types of shots used.

So, any of you willing to put up?

I imagine we all expect you work independently, strictly from your memory, without ANY research, including rereading this thread.

It should prove interesting when, (and if), proof becomes available...from whomever.:)

:hat:

Just LOVE these:

RaidersArchives_1_Sketch4.jpg

Last edited:

Stoo

chapter11 said:
Hear! Hear!(y) Josh, these doubters are a tough crowd.(n) I've been keeping a count and (at least) 15 people writing on the internet, have seen it. That may seem a small number but who knows how many people out there:

-saw it but don't remember (like some of my friends who were with me)
-remember it but don't care to write on the internet about it
-remember it but don't have access to the internet
-remembered it but are now dead
Henry W Jones said:
I can find my girlfriends little brothers mom who disappeared across the country 14+ years ago online. Yet when I search for deleted scenes from temple of doom I find everything known except the egg scene. When I type in cut scene temple of doom catches egg I get directed to this post. I hope you find it but I think we are all going to be disappointed.
For many reasons, finding your 'girlrfriend's little brother's mom who disappeared over 14 years ago' on-line is a poor comparison. A few weeks back, I found 2 non-Indy related forums that also discuss the missing egg so you musn't have looked hard enough. Doing a search in another language other than English might yield even more. Did you try searching in German, French, Czech or Japanese?
Henry W Jones said:
From what I can tell there is no physical evidence it was actually filmed. Sounds corny anyways.
There is a photo of the pilot pointing a gun into the rear of the plane. In the script, this is the very moment when Indy catches the egg.:gun:

Awhile back, chapter11 wrote that he recalls the scene with Willie half awake and seeing the egg catch before she falls asleep again. That is the way I remember it, too, because I DON'T remember the pilots trying to kill Indy. It's probable that they shot a bunch of stuff and the scene was changed during the editing process to make Willie witness the egg catch instead of the pilots. (I say this because there is an example, in the plane sequence, of how the editing covered up another cut scene...)

chapter11

Lance Quazar said:
Or, alternatively, you read about it in a book and thought you saw it. Independent of anyone else or any further discussion. My point is that this happens ALL THE TIME.

Yes, because I read "Making of Indiana Jones" books all the time. Or, you know, NEVER. I love the movies and I come to these forums every now and then, but I'm not a memorabilia or collectibles person and I don't read any of that stuff. You doubters have every right to your opinions, but to suggest that I or anyone else is making it up or delusional or whatever is insulting.

Pale Horse

Staff member
chapter11 said:
You doubters have every right to your opinions, but to suggest that I or anyone else is making it up or delusional or whatever is insulting.

Precisley the argument DeMille used. Unfortunately, this isn't a question of philosophy. There is a proof. It was, or it wasn't filmed. Nothing insulting about that.

As to the depth of what you know/saw...how prepared are you to defend it. The stamping of feet won't do. There are those out there, who are testing their faith, and that is good. It's like walking across a chasm.

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
Where did you see the movie in theaters? There has been discussion that it may have only existed in foreign prints, since virtually 100% of viewers (at least American viewers) claim no such memory. .
In chapter11's defence, he is American and saw it in Massachusetts. I'm assuming that Pasedena Jones is also from The States. (There's also the possibility of Aaron H's parents...but I did not include them in my count.) You're right that most testimonies are from other countries but this merely REINFORCES the fact that other people HAVE seen it, even though "virtually 100%" of American viewers have not.
Lance Quazar said:
Memory is extremely imprecise.
Maybe your memory is imprecise but mine is razor sharp. (Not the single blade, disposable BICs...I'm talking about the Gillette Mach 4, now!);)
Lance Quazar said:
But the burden is definitely on the Eggheads.
Heh heh, Lance!:D Funny...because I called Sharkey an egghead but now the meaning has flipped. Who is CRACKED and who is an 'egghead'?

It's time to quote The Beatles' song, "I Am the Walrus":

I am the eggman, they are the eggmen.
I am the walrus! Goo goo ga-joob!
chapter11 said:
Yes, because I read "Making of Indiana Jones" books all the time. Or, you know, NEVER. I love the movies and I come to these forums every now and then, but I'm not a memorabilia or collectibles person and I don't read any of that stuff. You doubters have every right to your opinions, but to suggest that I or anyone else is making it up or delusional or whatever is insulting.
It's not so much insulting as it is humorous. Taking the psychoanalytical route, one could easily classify their doubt as denial or disguised jealousy. (Ex: "I didn't see it so you didn't see it!")
Rocket Surgeon said:
You know, an eggcellent eggsperiment would be for each of you who contend you've seen this scene, draw the shots as you remember them. Framed from memory without consulting one another, and post them here.

I tried to imagine just how I would have visualized a such a scene, and without ANY proof, comparing sketches in this way might shed more light on the questions proffered.
Rocket, this is an EGG-CELLENT idea but many of the people are not here anymore or have posted on other forums.:( Indeed, I'll sketch the scene as I remember (even though some doubters might feel it's tainted from chapter11's recollection). Are you game for this, Chapter11?

Glad you like my "Raiders" sketches, Rocket.;)

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Hear! Hear!(y) Josh, these doubters are a tough crowd.(n) I've been keeping a count and (at least) 15 people writing on the internet, have seen it. That may seem a small number but who knows how many people out there:

-saw it but don't remember (like some of my friends who were with me)
-remember it but don't care to write on the internet about it
-remember it but don't have access to the internet
-remembered it but are now dead
For many reasons, finding your 'girlrfriend's little brother's mom who disappeared over 14 years ago' on-line is a poor comparison. A few weeks back, I found 2 non-Indy related forums that also discuss the missing egg so you musn't have looked hard enough. Doing a search in another language other than English might yield even more. Did you try searching in German, French, Czech or Japanese?
There is a photo of the pilot pointing a gun into the rear of the plane. In the script, this is the very moment when Indy catches the egg.:gun:

Awhile back, chapter11 wrote that he recalls the scene with Willie half awake and seeing the egg catch before she falls asleep again. That is the way I remember it, too, because I DON'T remember the pilots trying to kill Indy. It's probable that they shot a bunch of stuff and the scene was changed during the editing process to make Willie witness the egg catch instead of the pilots. (I say this because there is an example, in the plane sequence, of how the editing covered up another cut scene...)

Wow. You think finding a person I have never met a easy job compared to finding a scene from a world known movie. You are right no comparison. Finding a cut scene from one of the largest movie franchises should be simple compared to finding some nobody across the country I have never met. Also the pilots with guns pics proves the pilots had guns nothing else. Where are the egg photos ???? Also links from other countries for photos of egg or solid proof welcome since I was not thorough enough.

Last edited: