Why does Indy wear glasses?

Exulted Unicron

I always figured he wore glasses because he had a vision problem, like short sightedness, which is why he needed the glasses when he was reading things.

Stoo

Venture said:
My guess would be theatrical value. He wears them in the "love scene" with Willie in TOD, and he isn't reading anything legible then.
fatima said:
I think the glasses give him intellectual looks...but yes on an another hand why was he wearing them in the love scene in TOD? :rolleyes:
Attila the Professor said:
Why does he have them in the ToD love scene? It's twofold:

1) Continuity - he had them during the banquet
2) Symbolism - he was, in a way, in scholarly mode while seducing Willie ("nothing shocks me, I'm a scientist")
Notice that, during the love scene, he takes his glasses off as soon as the sexual innuendo dialogue begins. He is switching from scholar mode to stud mode with one, simple gesture.

I Don Quixote

On the Indiana Jones wiki, it says he wears them for an astigmatism. I also think that he looks pretty good-looking in glasses, like the hot professor he is.

Stoo

I said:
On the Indiana Jones wiki, it says he wears them for an astigmatism.
In this very thread, read the posts by Lao Che and you'll find out exactly where that astigmatism info comes from.:)

Nurhachi1991

The Drifter said:
33503_1216210920891_400_300.jpg

I love that cartoon!

Behold, Cousin Oliver! *shudders*

oliver_2.jpg

No intelligence or secrecy in that impish face, either.

That mini John Denver looking mutha $%^%$

The Drifter

Nurhachi1991 said:
That mini John Denver looking mutha $%^%$

I wonder if sunshine on his shoulders makes him happy while he walks a West Virginia country road as he thanks God that he's a country boy?

ggiersch

Spaz!

Good ol' Spaz. I looked just like that guy when I was younger! Spaz was from the classic summer camp movie, Meatballs. I can see why one might think Caddyshack. Bill Murray was in both of those films.

MinnesotaJones

I've got it!!!
I believe while watching a behind the scenes feature on DVD I heard (I think it was Spielberg) saying how Indiana Jones was like a superhero because he is a Professor by day and and a tough adventurer by night. It's like a secret identity.
We all know that a certain superhero wears glasses to hide his alter egos.
Good Day:hat:

No Ticket

He probably needs them as reading glasses but generally Doesnt wear them when "adventuring" because he could easily break or lose them in the wild or in one of the many fights he gets into all the time.

Crack that whip

There was at least one whole other thread on this subject between the original posting and the bump last year. As I posted in that one, according to the first Indy RPG (the TSR one, from 1984), the in-universe explanation is that Indy wears glasses to correct an astigmatism.

WilliamBoyd8

A very pretty young lady meets a famous scientist:

Lady: "And you didn't wear glasses on the Time cover"
Scientist: "Oh, they're really for long distance - When I want to look at something close, I take them off"

:)