Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 12-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #26
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Have you got around to Atomic Blonde yet?

Wow. What a treat. A loving homage to many things.

(hope you were unaffected by the fires in your neck of the woods)
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #27
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Wow. What a treat. A loving homage to many things.

(hope you were unaffected by the fires in your neck of the woods)

Thank you. Safe here. Despite the devastating losses a bit West.

Glad you liked Blonde. Unfortunately underated, but I hope it grows cult legs and retains a re-watching outcome.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #28
Moedred
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
devastating losses a bit West.
And all around roundshort in St. Helena. Okay there?

We used to sped Christmas in Santa Rosa in my grandparents' house which dodged a very similar fire in 1964. It still stands on the ashes of another.
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #29
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedred
Which brings me to the big news this week about MoviePass dropping prices to $10/month. If that doesn't drag streaming content consumers back to the multiplex, I don't know what will. And not a moment too soon:

Moedred with his finger on the pulse. . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/27/b...T.nav=top-news
Old 12-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #30
Moedred
Administrator

1 year of MoviePass is still $89 for Costco members, plus a year of Fandor.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #31
Moedred
Administrator

Hopefully you're enjoying MoviePass while it lasts, which is burning through $20 million a month. Probably the 4/20 Super Troopers opening day double feature will be remembered as a pinnacle of slackerdom.

James Cameron has a different approach than predicting doom for superhero movies:
Quote:
“I’m hoping we’re going to start getting Avenger fatigue. Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, Come on, guys, there are other stories to tell besides, you know, hypogonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process.”
His Story of Science Fiction series featuring Lucas, Spielberg and more premieres April 30.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:21 PM   #32
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Loved Super Troopers and regret not seeing the sequel over the weekend. I love that the sequel was crowd-sourced in part. The Super Trooper's 2 crowd funding phenomenon and the film's box office success is just another indicator that film is not dead yet -- and I'm sure Super Trooper 2's success (along with A Quiet Place) is going to cost Ready Player One even more screens this upcoming weekend as Avengers takes over just about everything else. As it stands now, I bet Ready Player one doesn't even make $140M domestic.

As for super hero films, I'm sure the fatigue will come. Hell, I'm the first to admit that I thought the super hero genre was over when Ben Affleck did Daredevil back in 2003.

Bottom line is that what the Russo's and Feige and Disney/Marvel has done with Infinity Wars is unparalleled: it is not just the product of what? 18 films over ten years but essentially a direct sequel of 6 or 7 films made mostly by other people with a huge cast. This scale and narrative depth has been a drug for viewers who, for now, are pretty much addicted. It's the movie going equivalent of Game of Thrones -- and no one, not Cameron, not Speilberg can hold a candle to it. Fortunately, the guys at the top at Disney/Marvel know it has to end and I trust them to do a good job.

What I think irks guys like Cameron is that Disney and Marvel are completely dominating (i) scheduling, (ii) the young male audience and (iii) family movie night decisions. The scheduling squeeze Ready Player One just went through is something these big names like Spielberg and Cameron never had to contend with in their careers. Even Star Wars and Last Jedi burned theatre owners and Marvel is the only thing that reliably fills the seats. Spielberg couldn't deliver with Ready Player One, and, for as big as it was in its day, Avatar has become laughingly irrelevant. I love Cameron's films but for the life of me, I have zero desire to go back and revisit the Avatar world, so it will be interesting to see what he does with it -- and I'm sure it will have its share of death-defying acts and carnage -- so he shouldn't be too critical of the super hero films.

Last edited by Joe Brody : 04-23-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #33
JasonMa
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody
Fortunately, the guys at the top at Disney/Marvel know it has to end and I trust them to do a good job.
You trust the heads of Disney and Marvel not to overdo a good thing and run it into the ground? Have we been living in the same world the last ~20 years? Because from my POV that's exactly what both Disney's and Marvel's business plans have been the last two decades.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #34
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMa
You trust the heads of Disney and Marvel not to overdo a good thing and run it into the ground? Have we been living in the same world the last ~20 years? Because from my POV that's exactly what both Disney's and Marvel's business plans have been the last two decades.

Exponential growth, funded by the will money of their clientele isn't necessarily running it into the ground. However excessive or over saturated, it's still being consumed massively. Unlike say, the 50 Shades Trilogy...don't get any ideas, Russo Brothers.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:07 PM   #35
Joe Brody
IndyFan

JasonMa, you should have waited a few hours to post because the first reviews are out for Infinity Wars and the twitterverse reaction is pretty enthusiastic.

I don't disagree with your broader claim (Disney runs things into the ground -- see live action princess movies and Frozen shorts and sequels) but read the New York Times article; the Russo's know what they are doing.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:34 PM   #36
JasonMa
IndyFan

The Russos may but I don't believe when push comes to shove that they'll have the final say. They may walk away but Disney will find somebody else to carry the torch until its far past played out.
JasonMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #37
Raiders112390
IndyFan

People in the 50s thought TV would be death of the movies
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #38
Moedred
Administrator

Terry Gilliam joins the legion of doom:
Quote:
"I hate superheroes. Itís bull****. Come on, grow up! Weíre not going to be teenagers for the rest of our lives. Itís great to dream of great powers. Superheroes are all about power. Thatís what I donít like about superheroes. Theyíve gotta beat the other powerful superheroes. Come on, a bit of peace, love, and understanding is what we need."