Home made Grail Tablet

enigmata_wood

Just wanted to share a picture of a grail tablet I am making for a fellow Indy fan.
Here's a photo of the front surface, finished and painted but before I attach it to the rest of the tablet.
Although this will have the exact same dimensions and inscription as the prop, it is not a slavish copy. I have focused all my know-how on getting as realistic a 12th C. worn sandstone look as possible.
In other words, my aim was the on-screen experience not 'just good enough for the cameras'.
Enigmata
complete%20inscription.jpg

enigmata_wood

Charlie Green said:
Very Nice. Is it to scale ?

I bet it took a while to create ;)
Yes it's the same size as the one on screen. It's taken many hours and steps to get to this stage, but now I can make several copies more quickly.

enigmata_wood

Grail Tablet replica prototype finished

I just wanted to share some pictures of the grail tablet replica, now I am completely finished making it.
If you fancy one PM me.
Enigmata
finished%20overall%20view.jpg

corner%202.jpg

corner.jpg

Insomniac

I'm looking into making this prop can you post specs and what process/formula to make the tablet.
I would appreciate this very much.

ProfessorChaos

This is a perfectly done prop! You did great with all the little tiny details to it, which really do enhance the basic feeling if it being an ancient stone tablet.

I thought I was the only fan who tried to build Indy props over the years! It looks like I wasn't quite so crazy, after all. And speaking of those Indy props:

When Temple of Doom first came out, I remember making my own Shankara Stones just for the fun of it. I took three plain rocks, about the approximate size and shape of potatos, and I carved three lines around the base of each. That was it! The absolutely simplest Indy prop you could ever hope to build.
They met their end when I threw them into a nearby pond. All three of them.

Not counting the Ark of the Covenant I made when I was only ten. It was a big cardboard box with a lid, painted gold, with two gold construction paper Cherubim taped to the lid. I punched holes in the sides of the box to insert two walking sticks for the poles. Then, I filled it with paper confetti and some paper "ghouls" I made for it as well. When we opened it, I threw it's contents around for the desired effect. Of course, I only did that paricular act *once*.
The Ark met it's end when I tore it all up and used the box for something else.

My cousin Ben made his own grappling hook. We tried to tell him Indy didn't use a grappling hook, but he thought one would be fun. That is, until he had decided to try to grapple-swing over the railroad tracks that existed down a deep, steep ditch behind his house. That got him a broken leg and a busted grappling hook. Eventually, his father showed him how to make a *real* one, I suspect to keep him from getting killed by using the fake one from before.

Saber79

That is really beautiful work!! How long does it take you and what would you get for something like that....

enigmata_wood

Saber79 said:
That is really beautiful work!! How long does it take you and what would you get for something like that....
The prototype and its mould took most of the evenings and weekends of a month to make. using the mould I can now make copies but as each one is hand finished it's still 5-7 evenings' work.
If I charged by the hour no one could afford one though I have made a few for members of Club Obi Wan. I charged them GBP 90 [enough to cover materials and to be taken seriously] - plus postage. For a hollow version that could be weighted with sand I add £15 as it's more complex to make.
It's fun to do something well and be appreciated for it, I sure ain't in it for the money!
Regards
Enigmata

Saber79

I hear ya, and thanks for the response. I was just curious because I'm making some props too and am wondering about pricing...maybe if i get a little extra cash, I'll commission you to make me a tablet, as they are incredible!

Djd1

Pretty sure he doesn't make these anymore. I got one quite a few years back and it has pride of place on my lounge wall at home