What is the Best Indiana Jones Comic/Graphic Novel ??

micsteam

I'm not interested in the comic adaptions for the movies, I'm a lifelong Indy fan from '81 up and I remember the Marvel adaptions, so let's start with that. I'm very interested in finding out from all of you what your opinion is the best graphic novel and/or comic of Indy ??? Note: I've been out of comics and what not since the late 80's/early 90's and I'm interested in the Indiana Jones graphic novel and comic releases over the years but have never picked one up. I'm about presentation, in other words it has to be very well illustrated capturing the essence of Indy.

IndyBr

You should probably take a look at Indiana Jones Omnibus Volume 1. It contains the Fate of Atlantis and Thunder in the Orient comics in it (and arms of gold, but this one is not pretty good), they're both well drawn and the story is nice.
In the second volume you have Spear of Destiny, featuring Henry Sr.
Also, there's the Indiana Jones adventures v. 1, kid-friendly, but very cool.

Tomb of the Gods is okay, but I think the story is a little rushed.

Lance Quazar

The old Marvel stories have some real gems. I have Omnibus 2 and some assorted single issues. Can't remember most of the good ones off the top of my head, but be warned - "Spear of Destiny" is complete garbage.

"Tomb of the Gods" is also a waste of time.

"Indiana Jones Adventures Volume 1" is marvelous. Really, my favorite "non movie" Indy story.

"Volume 2" is....okay. It's grown on me. It has some faults, it was a real letdown after the stellar first one. But it's worth a read.

IndyBr

Well, I actually enjoyed Tomb of the Gods, it's not remarkable in any way, but it have it's moments.
But I didn't like the ending.

Stoo

My top recommendations, in no particular order:

- Marvel's "Further Adventures" #1-2, #7-8, #11-12. Great stories. Great to good artwork.

- Dark Horse's "Tomb of the Gods". Great artwork. Good story. (Bad ending, though.:()

- Dark Horse's "Indiana Jones Adventures Vol. 1": Good story. Good art.

- Dark Horse's "Thunder in the Orient". (One of my personal favourites). Exceptional cover artwork. Decent artwork inside. Great story.

Toht's Arm

I just finished reading all five of the omnibi, and I must say I LOVED the Dark Horse 90s comics (Indiana Jones Omnibi 1 and 2), but had mixed feelings about the Marvel ones (Indiana Jones The Further Adventures Omnibi 1-3).

I realise, of course, that the Marvel ones were a lot older, and started when they only had Raiders to go by (and no indication what direction the series would take) but I felt the stories didn't draw me in as much as the Dark Horse ones. Also, the limited colour palette in the Marvel ones was really awful. Though it would be sacriligious from a historical/collector's perspective, I wouldn't mind if they re-did the colouring on those ones.

Some of them are blurring together in my mind, but I do remember really enjoying parts of The Arms of Gold - namely the sequence on a cruise ship and the time when Indy's left buried in the snow.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
I loved many of the Marvel stories but near the end their artwork hit a low point, Dark Horse were much better. I had enjoyed the African Screams and the Fourth Nail from Marvel and the Golden Fleece and the Sargasso Pirates from Dark Horse.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a double Further Adventures Omnibus 3 to give away to anyone who wants it. When I bought it from Amazon it had a small tear and they sent me a new one. Let me know.

Henry W Jones

Sakis said:
I loved many of the Marvel stories but near the end their artwork hit a low point, Dark Horse were much better. I had enjoyed the African Screams and the Fourth Nail from Marvel and the Golden Fleece and the Sargasso Pirates from Dark Horse.

By the way, if anyone is interested, I have a double Further Adventures Omnibus 3 to give away to anyone who wants it. When I bought it from Amazon it had a small tear and they sent me a new one. Let me know.

I will take it.