Spoiler pics from Vanity Fair

Lon

FordFan said:
The pictures look great, but the article isn't too encouraging to me. They're going for a B- movie sci-fi feel, and not a Republic serial tone like the other three? That tone made the other three films work! Will this distance itself too much from the original trilogy? The past few days I've been thinking Lucas was going for that, and this article confirms it.

Not that I won't see it, :hat: , I'm just hoping it's not Episode I.

The B sci-fi movies were popular in the 50s so the film is reflecting the era it's set in. It's not the 1930s for Indy anymore.

TheLastCrusader

Lon said:
The B sci-fi movies were popular in the 50s so the film is reflecting the era it's set in. It's not the 1930s for Indy anymore.
Yep, and the 50s is like my favorite decenium in film... BTW, as long as it's in the same spirit (which surtainly will be), there can hardly be a problem :whip:

Indy1986

Lucas wanted something different.
I think the sci-fi touch in this picture might enrich the Triology alot.
I mean all that matters is that we have the Indy trade mark features (hat whip,the world map while he is flying to places)....as long as we have those things I doubt that the new movie would have problems to connect to the old ones.
As far as the story goes I really think that the sci-fi thing will give Indiana Jones a new fresh look. It would be boring if Lucas would have redone the same kind of movie. I give him credit to dare to do something different this time (which still will match to the triology)

metalinvader

cuar02w_indianajones0802.jpg

So,I say it is safe to say that this picture confirms that Mutt is Marion's son.
Like we didn't already know,But why else would they take this picture.

sarah navarro

metalinvader said:
cuar02w_indianajones0802.jpg

So,I say it is safe to say that this picture confirms that Mutt is Marion's son.
Like we didn't already know,But why else would they take this picture.
Looks like it to me(y)
I cant wait to see Acsess Hollywood tonight hopefully they show the video.I cant wait for the magazine either!

SterankoII

The pics look great! I can't wait to get the magazine. Cate Blanchett looks better than I thought she would with the Louise Brooks' hair. Wish the outfit was tighter though! Karen Allen looks amazing.

I don't think we'll see like flying saucers or anything like that. I'm thinking if they're going for a 50s Sci-fi movie it'll be like the the best of that genre the like Howard Hawks' The Thing From Another World. There was an alien in it but it was also mostly action stuff.

Avilos

Lucas's point about Serials vs B-Movies is that they were basically the same thing. Just made at different times. By 1957 the Movie Serials were dead. But were replaced by B-Movies you saw on Double Features at a Drive-In. So there ain't much difference between the two.

Last edited:

Matthew

I skipped around reading the article, and when I read Ford's quote regarding his character being allowed to age I felt very excited toward the film's handling.

But then Lucas's quote with the whole science fiction film era is appalling, insane. Also about what he said toward the article's end, you know, I have never decided I won't like it, only the opposite, I have never formed a specific idea for this film, only that it build from the prevous, but this "sci fi B movie" thing is the last influence I expect for these films! I'd been open to a dozen other changes but I'm at a loss for words... except I just hope this is a concept Lucas is just raddling off in his head and is not actually carried out by a wiser Spielberg. Though, the slight picture Lucas paints in content, the manner in which aliens are dealt with, may suggest a more ultimate destruction.

Yes, good pictures, although I don't know anymore if it's an Indiana Jones film..

commontone

Matthew said:
but this "sci fi B movie" thing is the last influence I expect for these films! I'd been open to a dozen other changes but I'm at a loss for words... except I just hope this is a concept Lucas is just raddling off in his head and is not actually carried out by a wiser Spielberg.

Yes, but several other times in the article, they say that the style of the movie and the way it was shot are consistent with the first three. So that clearly doesn't mean they've changed from emulating 30's adventure serials to emulating 50's sci-fi movies. I think he's referring more to the subject matter.

The crystal skulls are classic Indy IMO, an ancient mysterious relic. But in the 50's, the B-movies dealt with things like atomic bombs spawning radioactive monsters, or UFO's and such. The way I see it, they're not so much forcing the movie into a 50's mold; they're just not pretending it takes place in the 30's when it takes place in the 50's.

This could be a whole essay in itself...but the 50's were a time of mounting Communist paranoia as the Cold War really got going. This is reflected in the B-movies of the time. Radioactive monsters are just a manifestation of the Soviets invading. It can be argued that the UFO phenomenon of the 50's (in real life, not only the movies) was also some manifestation of Cold War paranoia.

So in this new Indy, we have the classic MacGuffin -- the skulls -- and we also have new elements, presumably aliens. And the Soviets are the villains. There's also been an unconfirmed rumor that we'll see a nuclear explosion, possibly in the opening sequence. Without tying it together neatly, you can see this all fits with the above theories. I don't think the movie will be especially allegorical, but as Lucas says, the Indy movies stay just this side of plausibility. And this all seems like a very plausible backdrop to an Indiana Jones adventure, IMO.

I see no reason to worry; it's all a realistic expression of the 50's, both in the real world and in the B-movies of that time. And after reading the interviews I'm even more sure that it will be handled very well.

Last edited:

Salacious

I am sure Lucas is being pessimistic on purpose. He knows the fans built impossible expectations for the Star Wars prequels. He knows this movie will suffer the same backlash unless he puts a downer on the entire thing before expectations explode through the roof.

In addition, if he is pessimistic, I dont blame him. Since the PT wasnt as good as the OT, the fans were really hard on him. Rightfully so in some aspects, unjustfully so in others. I mean...the man has been verbally attacked, his family has been verbally attacked...and just because he made some movies in his vision.

I am sure he feels he can never make another successful movie again. This is for sure sign he has lost all confidence in himself...but people are like that sometimes. So I am not all surprised he has made these comments. And good for him as well.

If this movie fails, it wont be Lucas's fault at all IMO. I'll blame Spielberg or Ford.

Salacious said:
I am sure Lucas is being pessimistic on purpose. He knows the fans built impossible expectations for the Star Wars prequels. He knows this movie will suffer the same backlash unless he puts a downer on the entire thing before expectations explode through the roof.

In addition, if he is pessimistic, I dont blame him. Since the PT wasnt as good as the OT, the fans were really hard on him. Rightfully so in some aspects, unjustfully so in others. I mean...the man has been verbally attacked, his family has been verbally attacked...and just because he made some movies in his vision.

I am sure he feels he can never make another successful movie again. This is for sure sign he has lost all confidence in himself...but people are like that sometimes. So I am not all surprised he has made these comments. And good for him as well.

If this movie fails, it wont be Lucas's fault at all IMO. I'll blame Spielberg or Ford.

If its rubbish it'll be the fault of all 3 principals. HOWEVER, the very fact that Ford and Spielberg scoffed at the initial idea proposed by Lucas - I.e. some kind of sci-fi/alien involvement in an Indy film - is to their credit in my opinion. They've clearly eventually caved in on the issue - likely because his own preferred writers gave the script a treatment in Speilberg's case and more out of desperation in Ford'sc ase. And because of this I'll blame Lucas more than the others!

effin

salacious is right!! he knows the huge impossible build up and he's just trying to downplay it after his experience with the prequels.