Did the action scenes disappoint?

Agent Z

Darth Vile said:
Well you know TOD and LC had a lot of moments like that. I remember thinking at the time when watching LC, "Am I really watching Indiana Jones pretending to be Scottish?", "Did Henry Jones Snr. really bring down a fighter with seagulls?", "Was Marcus this stupid in Raiders?" etc. etc. But after 19 years I very much enjoy LC.

I can honestly say that my initial viewings of both Crusade and Kingdom left me with the same reaction: "Indy is being played for laughs now!?"

Over time, I have learned to enjoy some of the character moments in Crusade, but it still feels like a tv movie to me...very pedestrian and rather ho-hum. I definitely don't watch it for the "action" scenes or for tense adventure thrills. (n)

Kingdom actually has more replay value for me over Crusade, cause it is SO over the top and, even if you don't agree with its choices, it seems to at least be having fun while going absolutely nutzoid.

Kingdom is, quite literally, a comic book come to life. In the right frame of mind, it's actually very engaging and enjoyable in that sense.

graz

Mothy, i've come to the conclusion you are taking the ****. Its brilliant how you come up with the same comments on every thread with virtually no discussion, just statements of fact. Its highly amusing though...(y)

Agent Z

graz said:
Mothy, i've come to the conclusion you are taking the ****. Its brilliant how you come up with the same comments on every thread with virtually no discussion, just statements of fact. Its highly amusing though...(y)

Seriously, it's all copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, repeat, rinse....

graz

Agent Z said:
Seriously, it's all copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, copy-paste, repeat, rinse....

I think its probably a confidence thing. Clearly its safer to be part of the anti KOTCS troupe, because it is a far more vocal group, which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Mothy though, is not content just to hide behind the big boys, he HAS to make us all think his way otherwise he loses confidence in his arguement.

I think its interesting psychology. There are many KOTCS dertractors who at least can present a coherent arguement to back their dislike, even if I don't agree with them.

Agree to disagree and discuss sensibly Mothy. Its ok to be yourself..(y)

Mothy

Why does psychology try and answer every little thing we do? The film is horrendous and I am expressing my dislike for it. Simple as that.

Darth Vile

Indyswede said:
But those scenes were done with fire in the eyes. There's no spark in the perfomance from the actors in KOTCS. I anticipated that the people loved the franchise they filmed so much that when they did a scene they did it with power. Karen Allen should have watched Raiders before filming this. Shia seems happy to be in there and delivers. Harrison delivers for about 40% of the film.

I think that's just subjective opinion... unless you've got a quote from Ford saying " I didn't have any fire in my eyes when making KOTCS".

I think Ford and Shia have very good chemistry on screen, and I think it's played well by both actors. Karen Allen was clearly understated/underplayed, but I think that's a consequence of the story as opposed to the dialogue or acting i.e. the key relationship in KOTCS is between Indy and Mutt, not Indy and Marion (similar to the father/son relationship in LC).

Darth Vile

MolaRam2 said:
None of those moments compare to the CGI monkeys. Thise moments you listed fit well in the plot (except Marcus being dumb, but that was his character for LC), but the CGI monkeys were just randomly inserted to be cutesy and for absoluely no other reason. Plus the CGI monkeys look as out of place as an alien would in LC's Tank Chase.

Personally speaking, I think the Mutt Tarzan swing (not specifically the CGI monkeys) is more misjudged and a higher calibre of bad than the other examples I mentioned. So if you are stating that you believe the CGI monkeys/Mutt swing to be the worst single moment in an Indy movie, I wouldn't disagree with that... But as a percentage/ratio, I think more questionable moments occur within TOD and LC. Perhaps not as stand out bad, but there are certainly more of them in the other two. Either way, they don't ruin the movie for me...

Blade

Darth Vile said:
Personally speaking, I think the Mutt Tarzan swing (not specifically the CGI monkeys) is more misjudged and a higher calibre of bad than the other examples I mentioned. So if you are stating that you believe the CGI monkeys/Mutt swing to be the worst single moment in an Indy movie, I wouldn't disagree with that... But as a percentage/ratio, I think more questionable moments occur within TOD and LC. Perhaps not as stand out bad, but there are certainly more of them in the other two. Either way, they don't ruin the movie for me...

Hi Darth

Please tell me what is worse in LC than KOTC, specifically the tarzan sequence.

Regards

Blade

Mothy

There is nothing like that in the classic trilogy. Just you wait and see, the swine will conjure up something totally devoid of logic.

Darth Vile

Blade said:
Hi Darth

Please tell me what is worse in LC than KOTC, specifically the tarzan sequence.

Regards

Blade

Nothing in any Indy movie is as misjudged as the Mutt/Tarzan sequence (I think most would agree with that). For me it's the 'Gross/Net' principle.

IMHO - Lesser sins in TOD and LC, but more of them... Fewer sins in KOTCS, but of a bigger magnitude e.g. Mutt/Tarzan sequence. Net result for me is that after the pros and cons are calculated... they all sort of equal out in the end (talking about the sequels and not Raiders).

Mothy

Keep telling yourself that. Pinch yourself, slap your face and wake up. Boil the kettle and give yourself third degree burns if need be. My eyes are wide open.

graz

Darth Vile said:
Nothing in any Indy movie is as misjudged as the Mutt/Tarzan sequence (I think most would agree with that). For me it's the 'Gross/Net' principle.

IMHO - Lesser sins in TOD and LC, but more of them... Fewer sins in KOTCS, but of a bigger magnitude e.g. Mutt/Tarzan sequence. Net result for me is that after the pros and cons are calculated... they all sort of equal out in the end (talking about the sequels and not Raiders).

I think thats a good, logical, arguement and one I agree with. (y)

Agent Z

Darth Vile said:

Agreed.

The first half of the Jungle Chase alone in Kingdom is better than anything in Crusade, but then it goes into Bizarro Land with the crotch jokes (wth?!) and Tarzan (wth?!) nonsense.

I swear, if ever a film could benefit from a "less is more" approach, it's Kingdom.

Mothy

You are simple minded and a sheep. He who makes himself a sheep will be eaten by the wolves. You're not supposed to be so blind with pride that you can't face the reality of the situation. The film is poor, no matter who says it.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Mothy said:
You are simple minded and a sheep. He who makes himself a sheep will be eaten by the wolves.

It's like stealing candy from a kid... You make it so easy? But I?ll refrain on this occasion as it detracts from the topic. :D

Mothy

Darth Vile said:
It's like stealing candy from a kid... You make it so easy? But I?ll refrain on this occasion as it detracts from the topic. :D

Sure, whatever. It is the weak man who urges compromise - never the strong man.

graz

Mothy said:
Sure, whatever. It is the weak man who urges compromise - never the strong man.

Mothy, you are tremendous value. Were you aware you have turned into Obi-Wan Kenobi? :gun: