Captain America: The First Avenger

Lance Quazar said:
Just got back from the late show.

There are roughly ten visible swastikas in the film, probably a few more if you include very tiny ones that are likely held in the feet of the german eagle.

Just, you know, FYI...

Good on them, and thanks for the info! That's almost as many swastikas as in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks!"

indyclone25

just got back from seeing the movie. very good overall. they made the bad guys more about hydra than nazis.great special effects and story kept in line with the origin , a very well made movie i would give it a 3.5 stars out of 4. just because they didnt show enough nazis. so much better than the 70's movies and the 90 piece of crap . :)

Nurhachi1991

I think there should be a keep Nazi's in film and comic's movement....

There just the best bad guys and its a shame in todays society they are trying to bury there head's in the sand and pretend they did not exsist.

The whole freaking point of Captain America was to be Propaganda for the United States and against the Nazi's and the Imperal Japs....

Lance Quazar

Attila the Professor said:
So, it's making the rounds that there's a little nod to Indy in the film.

Indeed there is. A funny little bit of dialogue in the first few minutes of the film.

Best not to spoil yourself too much about it.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
Indeed there is. A funny little bit of dialogue in the first few minutes of the film.

Best not to spoil yourself too much about it.

I've just read about Red Skull noting that Hitler was digging for the Ark, and also a Hydra soldier killed by a propeller?

Joe Johnston:

"We used ‘Raiders’ as a template when we were developing the story, but we sort of moved away from it as time went on."

"When you sit down to watch it, it’s certainly not ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark,’ which is a very different kind of film in the final analysis. But sometimes when we had questions and we were stuck we would say, ‘What would Indiana Jones do? What would be the answer to this in “Raiders of the Lost Ark”?’ I’ve always loved ‘Raiders’ and the great achievement of it was the tone and the fresh feeling of the movie. It was period but didn’t feel like it was made in the period. It felt like a contemporary film about this period in the past, and that is the goal we have with ‘Captain America.’ And I can say this — it definitely has an Indiana Jones pace."

http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/captain-america-the-first-avenger-takes-cues-from-indiana-jones/

inky_skin

I was hoping for even the slightest nod to The Rocketeer. Perhaps a pilot namechecked as "C Secord" - or even the rocket pack somewhere in one of the labs (perhaps where Cap's shield is made)...

Indy's brother

"When you sit down to watch it, it?s certainly not ?Raiders of the Lost Ark,? which is a very different kind of film in the final analysis. But sometimes when we had questions and we were stuck we would say, ?What would Indiana Jones do? What would be the answer to this in ?Raiders of the Lost Ark??? I?ve always loved ?Raiders? and the great achievement of it was the tone and the fresh feeling of the movie. It was period but didn?t feel like it was made in the period. It felt like a contemporary film about this period in the past, and that is the goal we have with ?Captain America.? And I can say this ? it definitely has an Indiana Jones pace."

It's interesting to hear, and I am going to see this movie regardless, but many, MANY movies have aspired to do the same, and have fallen short. Indy means something different to everyone, it seems, so I'm not expecting this to remind me of Indy too awful much. I just want it to be fun.

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
I was hoping for even the slightest nod to The Rocketeer. Perhaps a pilot namechecked as "C Secord" - or even the rocket pack somewhere in one of the labs (perhaps where Cap's shield is made)...

In the Marvel universe, surely Howard Stark would be the rocket's inventor.

inky_skin

Montana Smith said:
Good call, Lance.

"In the future we might be able to attach this to a suit of armour..."

@Lance - I think the Hughes/Stark comparison is accurate and inevitable.

@Montana - that would be the PERFECT scenario !

I still think that Cliff Secord would be a great addition to the Howling Commandos. In fact, I feel a custom coming on...

Montana Smith

inky_skin said:
@Lance - I think the Hughes/Stark comparison is accurate and inevitable.

@Montana - that would be the PERFECT scenario !

I still think that Cliff Secord would be a great addition to the Howling Commandos. In fact, I feel a custom coming on...

Such a custom would, of course, be cooler than the movie itself. (There was nothing wrong with the pulpy rocketeer uniform).

WillKill4Food

Montana Smith said:
I've just read about Red Skull noting that Hitler was digging for the Ark...
Not in so many words.
As Johann retrieves some powerful Norse jewel: "And der Fuhrer spends his time digging for trinkets in the desert?"

Montana Smith said:
...and also a Hydra soldier killed by a propeller?
I counted three people getting hit by one, but there's one scene very much like the Flying Wing scene in Raiders. (In fact, this during the battle on a gigantic Flying Wing.)
I thought it was an okay film; you could only call it "Indyesque" if you're comparing it to Crystal Skull. Too much origin story, not enough WWII/Red Skull plot.
Oh, and Captain America does punch Hitler (in a way), but don't expect much since this isn't Inglourious Basterds.

Joe Brody

Note: Short-Of-True-Spoiler Information is in this Post

At the end of my showing tonight there was scattered applause and satisfied murmurs among the diverse crowd -- and I gotta admit I walked away a satisfied customer of this mostly by-the-numbers adaptation.

There are any number of faults with the serviceable storyline: (i) a problematic ending, (ii) the unimaginative source of the Villain's powers (shades of Iron Man I, i.e., the Hero fighting against a bad version of himself), (iii) the ultimate mission being to just stop Hydra! (I imagine many viewers wondering at some point just what the Hell is Hydra again?), and (iv) a rushed final third. But no matter; all these faults dim in the afterglow of the warmth and sincerity established in the opening origins portion of the film.

The Hero, the Girl, the Villain and the sidekick (Bucky) were all solid and well cast -- with old reliable Stanley Tucci the standout (once again) in a supporting role. Chris Evans had the requisite moral resonance to do the job as Captain America, and as I've said before he has a Normal Rockwell quality that fits the part. Despite this seeming strength in casting, I was still irked at (i) the shear lack of imagination in casting Tommy Lee Jones (isn't John Slattery more the man of the moment & wouldn't it have been funny to see him standing next to Mr. Stark?) and (ii) the empty derby that played Dum Dum Dugan. Samuel Jackson's Nick Fury IMHO is an Epic Fail (Oh, to have seen Jeff Bridges in that role).

And I've got to ask: was I the only person thinking of Mar's Attacks! while watching the Hydra ray-gun vaporizers in action? Putting aside the morally dubious proposition of sanitizing hostilities for the kid target audience in what can serve as an out-and-out military recruitment vehicle, I found the sci-fi elements to be a distraction. As I've said before in this thread, give me a good mesh of comic book style fighting and World War II combat and I'm a happy man. We don't need Saving Private Ryan intensity -- just more Raiders-level mayhem -- so why the Ray-guns? All the more perplexing for me is when I watch the trailer for the upcoming Sherlock Holmes film, I'm struck by its great emphasis on bolt action and first generation automatic weapons. Gun powder is good enough true believers.

Also disappointing was the lack of epic scope for a WWII film. I didn't feel transported anywhere. Brooklyn felt like a set (why not use a real backdrop like the Eagle Warehouse for some authenticity?). And the World's Fair and Alps backdrops were especially two dimensional -- and the scale of some of the Hydra facilities were preposterous. Unfortunately, there was more the look and feel of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003) and not a contemporary film, such as John Carter (watch the John Carter Trailer in HD and you'll see what I'm talking about).

I'm sorry for the granular nits -- this film was a challenge for Marvel and it exceeded my expectations. Unfortunately, it will be a Gladiator type film for me -- one where I occasionally watch the first half from time to time -- but rarely (if ever) the whole way through.

Indy Scout 117

Winter Soldier?

SPOILER ALERT!!!

so for those of you that saw the film and what happened to Bucky, and for those of you who know a lot about Captain America in the comics, do you think that they'll show the Winter Soldier in a following film??

the Winter Soldier, for those who dont know, is a character in the Cap comics. when Bucky supposedly dies, the Soviets find him sinking in cold water, his left arm torn off. the Soviets rescue him and when Bucky wakes up, he loses his memory. the Soviets then 'reprogram' him (and give him a cybernetic arm) to become Codename: Winter Soldier, who was a key player in the Cold War. the Winter Soldier was basically an assassin for the USSR sent into America and its allies, and since he looked and spoke like an American, nobody suspected him to be an assassin. if you want to know more about him, heres a link to his character:

http://marvel.com/universe/Winter_Soldier

i hope that we'll be seeing him in a future movie!!!! (y)

Wedge Antilles

I just watched it, I thought it was pretty good but a bit anti-climactic. I also don't like how they made a whole movie just to set up for a sequel.

IAdventurer01

Wedge Antilles said:
I also don't like how they made a whole movie just to set up for a sequel.

I've read this complaint a lot, and I feel it's worth mentioning that the film serves as an origin story for Cap, and at that him arriving in present day to be with the Avengers is canon and inevitable, sequel or not.

On a separate note, in the scene where Zola and Schmidt are testing their newly found artifact, did it vaguely remind anyone else of the Research Lab, Somewhere in Germany scene from FOA?

Wedge Antilles said:
I just watched it, I thought it was pretty good but a bit anti-climactic. I also don't like how they made a whole movie just to set up for a sequel.

That's Marvel for ya...rush rush rush! cram it all in there, gotta get to the Avengers! For this reason, I hope the Avengers falls flat....oh, and I dislike Joss Whedon...and ScarJo...and little hope for "revolving door" Hulk...and...:p

Here's a review of Cap that highlights it's overall lack and ridicule of patriotism: http://www.popgunchaos.com/2011/07/25/captain-america-movie-review/#more-2315