What did KOTCS get right?

The Man

OmegaSeamaster said:
I heard Steven is having one inserted digitally for the home video release.

george-lucas.jpg

"He's doing what?"

Sankara

The idea of putting Indiana Jones into a nuclear test area is just great. I really love it when Indy comes into doomtown. Great! In this few scenes Ford is really Indiana Jones! For the rest of the movie he looks like Indiana Jones but he is not Indiana Jones. I don't know who the guy with the Hat is - but it's not Indy. That's for sure. In "Raiders", Temple" and "Crusade" Ford WAS Indy... in this movie Ford tries to play Indy...

But back to topic: Doom Town is great BUT... yeah.. you know it... the escape ist just embarrasing... This scene and many-many-may others over-the-top-actions-scenes (Mutt/Tarzan, Rubber Tree, the Waterfalls etc) ruined this movie... :sick: :sick: :sick:

But "Doom Town" is really great!!!

Benraianajones

Agreed, the Doom town part is great. I don't know why Indy couldn't have just started running for his life or grabbed on to a car to escape, as opposed to being blasted off by a fridge.

The thing is, I am sure the fridge part would have been more bearable for many people - if it wasn't for the rubber tree, tarzan swing and 3 waterfalls.

Personally the embarassing bit for me is the tarzan swing, because it looks like Jungle Book. At least surviving the bomb blast in a fridge seems somewhat in vain with one of Indy's silly action escapes.

The "rubber tree" coud have worked better if in film it was explained Marion found the lowest part of the cliff and the tree to land on and the tree effect when it bounced back up didn't look so cartoony.

The 3 waterfalls also would have been fine in this movie - but only if they had opted to remove the above scenes as to even the movie out and not make the movie on the whole too out-landish and cartoony.

The Man

Benraianajones said:
Agreed, the Doom town part is great. I don't know why Indy couldn't have just started running for his life or grabbed on to a car to escape, as opposed to being blasted off by a fridge.

The thing is, I am sure the fridge part would have been more bearable for many people - if it wasn't for the rubber tree, tarzan swing and 3 waterfalls.

Personally the embarassing bit for me is the tarzan swing, because it looks like Jungle Book. At least surviving the bomb blast in a fridge seems somewhat in vain with one of Indy's silly action escapes.

The "rubber tree" coud have worked better if in film it was explained Marion found the lowest part of the cliff and the tree to land on and the tree effect when it bounced back up didn't look so cartoony.

The 3 waterfalls also would have been fine in this movie - but only if they had opted to remove the above scenes as to even the movie out and not make the movie on the whole too out-landish and cartoony.

Doomtown is ludicrous, yes, but for me the movie only began to run into trouble after that point...

Cagefighterkip

so this is what KOTCS got right?
well... everything.

it was pure, unadulterated, simple, clean and awesome, violent spectacle of a quest for a treasure, that is an Indiana Jones movie.

beginning to end, gophers, aliens and all... this was movie magic at its best.:)

Indy's brother

it was pure, unadulterated, simple, clean and awesome, violent spectacle

Lets focus on your use of the word "spectacle" for a moment. You hit the nail right on the head. It can't be an Indiana Jones movie without being a grand spectacle. But apparently it's a delicate mix. If you don't get it just right, nobody can agree if it's good or not. That's why this thread is doomed for failure. Too much venom around here. Even on a thread entitiled "what did KOTCS get right?" People just want to post so they can ***** about what they thought kotcs got wrong. Many raveners just can't help themselves.

No Ticket

I was enjoying the movie immensely during the warehouse scene. Even the magnetic gunpowder didn't bother me. Rockset Sled was awesome. As much as I rolled my eyes on the fridge nuking scene... even that part was okay BECAUSE of the beautiful shot of Indy watching the atomic explosion rise. I think it would have been less dumb if a fridge didn't save his life.

Direclty after the opening ends... it starts going downhill. With a line something like, "What are you accusing me for, besides surviving a nuclear explosion?" They all act like it's no big deal. I think they should all still be amazed he didn't die to give more credit to how ridiculously lucky he got (even though he'll die soon because of radioactive fallout)...

But the opening was action packed with a great set piece. I felt like everything else was kinda of ho-hum. I mean, I liked the chase scene at the school... it was pretty great too. Um, I actually kind of like the scene where Indy "talks" to the skull and punches Mac in the nose.

Other than that, the rest is sub-par to me. The gopher's don't bother me, besides the fact that it's the first thing you see in a movie they promised would have minimal CGI.

loganbush

I really think the movie works ok until Marion. Which is really too bad. I could have used a little more action in the cemetery and more Indy related action in the jungle. instead of aliens the skeletons should have just come alive and glowed or something.

Cagefighterkip

Indy's brother said:
Lets focus on your use of the word "spectacle" for a moment. You hit the nail right on the head. It can't be an Indiana Jones movie without being a grand spectacle. But apparently it's a delicate mix. If you don't get it just right, nobody can agree if it's good or not. That's why this thread is doomed for failure. Too much venom around here. Even on a thread entitiled "what did KOTCS get right?" People just want to post so they can ***** about what they thought kotcs got wrong. Many raveners just can't help themselves.

true
theres a lot of hate, and i dont get it at all. not one bit. but hey, opinions are opinions so i guess thats that though i LOOOVED indy4 beginning to end, found it as entertaing and TOD and TLC, almost as good as ROTLA.

but im glad u at least agree, or think i hit the nail on the proverbial head :)

Shortie

Everything except:
- CGI Prairie Dogs (Prairie Dogs can't be hard to have stand still for .5 seconds)
- Swinging Scene (Why'd they have one real monkey if they didn't have a couple real prairie dogs?)
-Aliens (Should of just had the temple fall apart)

It wasn't trying to be as good as Raiders, it was trying to be a fun action movie. I don't think we'll see an adventure movie as good as Raiders for a while.

RocketSledFight

Shortie said:
-Aliens (Should of just had the temple fall apart)

I might be the only one alive to think the shot of Indy looking at the UFO rising was awesome. People criticize this movie for having a MacGuffin that does not have significance to Indy as a character or have relevance in general ? to me, it's not about the skull. That UFO was an amazing discovery for Indy.

Indy's brother

I might be the only one alive to think the shot of Indy looking at the UFO rising was awesome.

Yeah, I hear ya. Though my first viewing left a bad taste in my mouth, I instantly thought that shot rocked, and was vintage Spielberg. I have only heard complaints on it here as well. But as far as your feelings on the ufo--you are not alone...

Udvarnoky

RocketSledFight said:
I might be the only one alive to think the shot of Indy looking at the UFO rising was awesome.

No, it is a nice shot. Also, no matter how much **** the nuke scene gets, that shot of Indy silhouetted against the mushroom cloud is an iconic moment, period.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Udvarnoky said:
No, it is a nice shot. Also, no matter how much **** the nuke scene gets, that shot of Indy silhouetted against the mushroom cloud is an iconic moment, period.

I love the shot, I didn't even have to learn to love the bomb, I just don't like the fridge.

Also, I adore this thread idea, but I'll have to contribute and read it later on. I'm rating it a 5 though.

TREN KROM

Indy's brother said:
Yeah, I hear ya. Though my first viewing left a bad taste in my mouth, I instantly thought that shot rocked, and was vintage Spielberg. I have only heard complaints on it here as well. But as far as your feelings on the ufo--you are not alone...
Agreed.
Although the alien coming alive was bull, the UFO made up for it and then some. Every time I see it I think of Close Encounters, which I love to death.

Indy's brother

Indy silhouetted against the mushroom cloud is an iconic moment, period.
+1. It's not the same shot that's in the film, but I posted on the drew art thread that this would make an excellent back cover to the KOTCS dvd:

gm0807041533299053.jpg

Benraianajones

That's a nice bit of artwork!

The Man...so you are saying, what? As crazy as Doom Town and fridge portion was - it was the events that followed that turned you off, as opposed to the fridge? Could the fridge have been accepted by you more if the rest of the events that follow it were not so cartoony (waterfall/tarzan swing/the "rubber2 tree?).

The Man

Benraianajones said:
The Man...so you are saying, what? As crazy as Doom Town and fridge portion was - it was the events that followed that turned you off, as opposed to the fridge? Could the fridge have been accepted by you more if the rest of the events that follow it were not so cartoony (waterfall/tarzan swing/the "rubber2 tree?).

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. People who dislike the movie tend to focus on the more infamous elements (gophers, monkeys) but it's the overall slide in quality that gradually sinks the movie. The second hour was too infantile, too 'cutesy' and uninspired.

It's no one thing that has polarised fans over this movie...

Udvarnoky

The Man said:
It's no one thing that has polarised fans over this movie...

This I agree with. The fact is that even though you see the same culprits named across the internet by irate fans, Indy4's real problems are something more fundamental and difficult to define, and since a lot of fans can't put their finger on it they settle on the easy targets (nuke, CGI, tarzan, etc.). God knows Temple of Doom and Last Crusade had at least as many stupid moments as Crystal Skull, but nobody cared because the movies were ridiculously entertaining, an accusation that could not be made of Indy4.