what happened on the boat

Robyn

I know this has been discussed many times before, but has Spielberg or Lucas ever said the real reason why Marion was naked on the boat in Raiders? I've heard a lot of people say there was no way they 'did it' because Indy was too tired and too beaten and Marion probably just sleeps naked but does anyone know the real answer to this? Or is that scene just meant to make you wonder?

Finn

Staff member
Perhaps Indy got jealous of the dress and Marion had to let him try it on too so he wouldn't sulk all night?

Marion got skeeved out by the thought of the "other women" who traveled with "these pirates" and took the thing off! I was TOTALY not about sex!

They slept together, as in good nights rest...THATS ALL!

Dirty Birds!

Stoo

ronicle said:
I know this has been discussed many times before, but has Spielberg or Lucas ever said the real reason why Marion was naked on the boat in Raiders?
I could see 1 of 4 reasons.

1. It was really hot night and she just to her slip off. (They were in the Mediterranan, afterall.)
2. She took it off in a further attempt to seduce him but he kept sleeping.
3. She regularly sleeps in the buff.
4. They did it.

Rocket Surgeon said:

Dirty Birds!
I used to think that until someone here made a VERY interesting observation that swayed my opinon somewhat. See below...

(re: Dirty Birds. Hey, man, you were one of those having a go at Shorty & Indy. This is a legit question!:p)

Pale Horse said:
This thread needs pictures.
Many moons ago, someone posted a screencap of Indy "cocking" his Browning automatic the next morning. The barrel is pointed directly at her "you know what"!:eek: Verrrry crafty and suggestive...and I doubt it's a coincidence.

Robyn

Finn said:
Perhaps Indy got jealous of the dress and Marion had to let him try it on too so he wouldn't sulk all night?

Good one Finn! :whip:

Rocket Surgeon said:
Marion got skeeved out by the thought of the "other women" who traveled with "these pirates" and took the thing off! I was TOTALY not about sex!

Dirty Birds!

Rocket I know you didn't just call me a dirty bird :gun:

Stoo said:

1. It was really hot night and she just to her slip off. (They were in the Mediterranan, afterall.)
4. They did it.

I wish I knew which one of those 4 things really did happen, I just hate those "decide for yourself" what happened scenes!

Stoo said:
I used to think that until someone here made a VERY interesting observation that swayed my opinon somewhat. See below...

Many moons ago, someone posted a screencap of Indy "cocking" his Browning automatic the next morning. The barrel is pointed directly at her "you know what"!:eek: Verrrry crafty and suggestive...and I doubt it's a coincidence.

Yeah I do remember that screencap, it was pretty suggestive!

DocWhiskey

Perhilion said:
they did it. Mutt?

I always thought they didn't do it on the boat.

But I'm gonna go all nerd and say we need an official timeline for reference. I mean, if they did the do on the Bantu Wind, what you're suggesting is that 'lil baby Mutt would've squeezed on out 9 months later. And thanks to KOTCS, we have learned that in that 9 months Indy broke off the marriage, vanished, and Marion met Colin Williams and married him. Not to mention Indy didn't know she was pregnant through all this. Then of course there's those comic adventures, novels etc that could help us, but I don't think those are canon to this situation seeing as Indy having a son wasn't even established yet.

But personally, I don't think they had sex on Katanga's ship. And if they did, I don't think that was the time a little motorcycle riding sperm got to the egg. Frankly, Indy and Marion were chummy at the end of RotLA, so Indy impregnating her with Mutt could've happened any time after that.

How old is Mutt supposed to be anyway? 17? 18? 19?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Stoo said:

4. They did it.

(re: Dirty Birds. Hey, man, you were one of those having a go at Shorty & Indy. This is a legit question!:p)

It was No. 4 and I did make that suggestion with the shot of Indy with the gun pointed at her private parts (though someone else provided the screencap).

Found a thread on the topic : http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=8879 . Can't find the one with the screen cap yet.

In any case, I will state my case as to why they did it. Indy's gun is pointed "there", and as Indy loads and pulls back, the gun has gotten longer for that moment and pulls back. That's the moment Marion wakes up. Gun= Indy's other "whip." :p
Simple semiotics in screen analysis.

Yeah it is true that the Black novel and the comic doesn't imply that, but think of the audience who would read those books. 10 years and up, I reckon. You're not exactly going to put sex in there (however, there is that scene in the novel at Sallah's, where Indy feels tempted and tries to seduce her and she wants to sleep, talk about irony! And that reads a lot more steamy because you're reading Indy's thoughts and feelings). And even, after reading that scene in the book, it makes you more likely to believe that they did it on the boat. Just my two cents. ;)

Robyn

Violet Indy said:
It was No. 4 and I did make that suggestion with the shot of Indy with the gun pointed at her private parts (though someone else provided the screencap).

Found a thread on the topic : http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=8879 . Can't find the one with the screen cap yet.

In any case, I will state my case as to why they did it. Indy's gun is pointed "there", and as Indy loads and pulls back, the gun has gotten longer for that moment and pulls back. That's the moment Marion wakes up. Gun= Indy's other "whip." :p
Simple semiotics in screen analysis.

Yeah it is true that the Black novel and the comic doesn't imply that, but think of the audience who would read those books. 10 years and up, I reckon. You're not exactly going to put sex in there (however, there is that scene in the novel at Sallah's, where Indy feels tempted and tries to seduce her and she wants to sleep, talk about irony! And that reads a lot more steamy because you're reading Indy's thoughts and feelings). And even, after reading that scene in the book, it makes you more likely to believe that they did it on the boat. Just my two cents. ;)

Excellent analysis Violet! Thanks for that(y) I do remember that scene in the book, it always made me wonder whether it was originally suppose to be in the movie or whether the writer just added it on his own, either way it was a great scene, with a lot of insight too, should have been in the movie!

ronicle said:
Rocket I know you didn't just call me a dirty bird :gun:
I certainly did!;) Hey we all live in the gutter...some of us look up to the stars.

Seriously though, where it's very possible there was some morning wood, I never thought they did it on the boat either.

Now, after a drink,you know? A drink? That spoke volumes to me...

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
I certainly did!;) Hey we all live in the gutter...some of us look up to the stars.

Seriously though, where it's very possible there was some morning wood, I never thought they did it on the boat either.

I ain't no dirty bird:p I just wanted answers as to why she was naked, I too found it hard to believe they did it after the way Indy was beaten, it wouldn't be very likely. But I just wanted to know if there was a real explanation to the reason she was naked, but apparently Spielberg just wanted to make us wonder..maybe since Indy was sleeping bare chested she figured she might as well too? In any case Mutt couldn't have come from it, the timeline is wrong

Rocket Surgeon said:
Now, after a drink,you know? A drink? That spoke volumes to me...

Now who's the dirty bird?! :p:p:p

But anyways Rocket the back end of this pan is for you, for calling a respectable girl like me a dirty bird! :p :hat:
Single_Handle_Frying_Pan.jpg

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
They did it, without Indy's knowledge. That is why he didn't know he had a child/son.

How is the time line wrong? 1936 to 1957 = 21 years, or as little as 19 depending on the months involved.

Mutt is a colleage age student, makes perfect sense.

Robyn

Pale Horse said:
They did it, without Indy's knowledge. That is why he didn't know he had a child/son.

He must have really been sound asleep!!

Pale Horse said:
How is the time line wrong? 1936 to 1957 = 21 years, or as little as 19 depending on the months involved.

Mutt is a colleage age student, makes perfect sense.

Well I figured since Indy spent a year with Marion after Raiders he would have noticed she was pregnant if she got pregnant on the boat

ronicle said:
I ain't no dirty bird:p

A guy can dream eh?

ronicle said:
..maybe since Indy was sleeping bare chested she figured she might as well too?

What would YOU have done were you there?

ronicle said:
Now who's the dirty bird?! :p:p:p

When ya got me ya got me!

ronicle said:
But anyways Rocket the back end of this pan is for you, for calling a respectable girl like me a dirty bird! :p :hat:
Single_Handle_Frying_Pan.jpg

Before you start swinging, how about a drink?

249.jpg

Robyn

Rocket Surgeon said:
A guy can dream eh?

:gun:

Rocket Surgeon said:
What would YOU have done were you there?

With all those pirates on board I would have stayed completely clothed, and would have been afraid to even go to the bathroom lol but this is Marion were talking about, she's not afraid of anything ;)

Rocket Surgeon said:
Before you start swinging, how about a drink?

Never touch the stuff.. :p

ronicle said:
ronicle said:
With all those pirates on board I would have stayed completely clothed, and would have been afraid to even go to the bathroom lol but this is Marion were talking about, she's not afraid of anything ;)

Even with Indy there? You know you'd be all over him!:)

ronicle said:
Never touch the stuff.. :p
(n) :rolleyes:

Good policy, what do you do to break tension, unwind, relax?:eek:

Last edited: