What ethnicity is the name "Ravenwood"?

Indyologist

What ethnicity is the name "Ravenwood?" Is it Irish? English? Scottish? For some reason, I'm inclined to think that anything ending in "wood" is English. I'm curious as to what nationality Marion is and wether or not her father may have had an accent.

What do you guys think? Anyone up for a little research?

Magda

It's probably from somewhere in Britain.

Marion looked Mediterranean to me. Perhaps her mother was Italian, Greek, or Spanish.

I'm inclined to say "The made-up kind"

A quick glance around google seems to suggest Scottish/English/Irish.... just like the majority of North America... Northern European mongrel....

Jay R. Zay

temple of john said:
I think I read that Abner was from whogivesa****sville in England. He's probably African I reckon.

you have an unpleasant way to say things the way you see them. which, from time to time, is the way, i see them as well - but virtually never the way i'd put them. a little consideration would do your style well.

Magda

Jay R. Zay said:
you have an unpleasant way to say things the way you see them. which, from time to time, is the way, i see them as well - but virtually never the way i'd put them. a little consideration would do your style well.

Of all people to talk about consideration... :rolleyes:

KDuncan

Jay R. Zay said:

Well, I don't know. I almost died laughing when he put down "who gives a rat's @$$" on some thread.

Jay R. Zay

Ameera said:
Of all people to talk about consideration... :rolleyes:

the people i'm impolite with don't need my consideration. those who didn't offend me, usually get it. and i find it hard to believe that all the people ToJ was inconsiderate with offended him. indyologist for example. but if you feel better, you may replace "consideration" by "politeness". and i don't think you can complain about a lack of politeness on my behalf. anyway, you don't have to be without sin to spread the word of god, if you prefer a religious metaphor.

ClintonHammond said:
Can we maybe keep this on topic, kids?

unlikely, because, as i wanted to say - in the general view, ToJ is absolutely correct. how are we supposed to know where ravenwood is from? from time to time it might help to remind oneself that it is just a fictional series. i don't think we might learn something worth knowing by keeping this on topic. do you?

Jay R. Zay

i don't want to stand in your way - perhaps you can enlighten us, then? how were abner's school grades? when did he come to america? what beer does he like? how long was gobler in the german army? do you believe toht's mother neglected him?

perhaps i'm the only one here who believes that indiana jones ist just a fictional character in a fictional universe. perhaps we are really discussing hard facts here and i'm just too stupid to notice. so please give me an opportunity to see the real meaning of life and answer this question.

Indyologist

Um...

Could you guys please skip the immature banter and just kindly answer my question? If you don't give a hang about what I have to say or ask, then do me and everyone else a favor and don't reply. (And I bet some of you wonder why you don't see me here as much anymore :rolleyes: ?)

Now, may I have some appropriate answers to my query? Thanks.

"indiana jones ist just a fictional character in a fictional universe"

D'uh.... but if you're not interested in discussing that fiction, why are you even here?

Finn

Staff member
Having a describing name like that, I dunno, the type sometimes hints to some kind of place a family has lived at some part of its history... be it somewhere in Britain, or something newlyfound in America when most of the continent still was Back'o'Beyond.

It's really difficult place just like that... have it a "Mc" or "O" before it and it would have been easy... <small>then again, O'Ravenwood sounds just plain silly.</small>

I like Ameera's idea on Marion's mother being possibly from the Mediterranean part of the world. Would suit into the Ravenwood story pretty well, also be a possible explanation as to why we've never heard anything of her.

Of course, we know pretty much nothing of Indy's mother either (if we look just at the trilogy)... it's pretty damn manly world out there.

Jay R. Zay

ClintonHammond said:
"indiana jones ist just a fictional character in a fictional universe"

D'uh.... but if you're not interested in discussing that fiction, why are you even here?

i certainly am not here to live in a dream world and i believe this is how many other indiana jones fans think. you can like a movie AND accept it is just a movie. if you don't make a difference between fact and fiction anymore, you should rather worry about yourself than about me.

and as ToJ said, the fact that this question isn't very fundamental, plus the fact that neither of us KNOWS the answer (and probably neither do lucas and spielberg because they didn't care so much), adds a little bit to the impression that this question as such might be questionable.

also, as i've tried to say, i don't appreciate the way ToJ expressed his view. if some people believe it makes them happy to discuss pointless theories - as far as i'm concerned, they can do as they please.

but as ToJ said what he said anyway, i don't think it would be right to pretend that his comment was entirely wrong. it just wasn't very nice but sometimes that's what truth is like and the main idea, that this discussion might be little bit too pointless, actually is quite agreeable. which doesn't mean you HAVE to agree. also, some people might find my posts in this forum pointless and in general, they would be right.

so think about this as you will but in the main statement, i have to agree with ToJ here and i DO believe that some people here might be taking this a little to seriously.

"It also sounds kinda like Native American."

More precisely, it sounds like the Anglicization of a Native North American name... I guess it could be possible for Marion to have some Cree or such a few generations back in her bloodline...

Joe Brody

Wasn't the name based on some street in California?

I don't even know if 'Ravenwood' is a even real name -- but I'm one of those 'sad' but 'eclectic' fans that has no problem spinning a background. I'd just say that he's Czech but the some sad customs official tagged Abner's father with the name.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Wasn't the name based on some street in California?

I don't even know if 'Ravenwood' is a even real name -- but I'm one of those 'sad' but 'eclectic' fans that has no problem spinning a background. I'd just say that he's Czech but the some sad customs official tagged Abner's father with the name.

It's definitely British

and I don't think it was a street in California, I think it was a punk band...lol