TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 05-22-2017, 10:51 AM   #51
curmudgeon
IndyFan

The film is being "redrafted" as a prequel to the game series.

Tom Holland, the (almost) 21 year-old current Spider-Man star, has been cast as young Nathan Drake.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/tom-holl...vy-1202099530/
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #52
Z dweller
IndyFan

Location: The old colonel was right - but he never even got close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
The film is being "redrafted" as a prequel to the game series.

Tom Holland, the (almost) 21 year-old current Spider-Man star, has been cast as young Nathan Drake.

http://deadline.com/2017/05/tom-holl...vy-1202099530/
Well, he recently played Jack Fawcett in The Lost City of Z, so he's carving himself a bit of a niche as a young explorer/adventurer.

I could never see him as a young Indy though, he looks too clean-cut.
Z dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #53
TheFedora
IndyFan

So Prequel then? I assume this means it will be centered on him gaining Drake's ring as seen in Uncharted 3. Hopefully it also brings in Nathans brother as we saw in Uncharted 4.
TheFedora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #54
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

So what is Nathan Fillion teasing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Crecente
Nathan Fillion took to Instagram and Twitter this week to drum up a lot of excitement among both his fans and those of PlayStation action adventure video game “Uncharted.” But it seems unlikely the “Uncharted” teases were about the long-in-development movie, according to insiders.

Fillion, Variety was told, has nothing to do with the movie, which still hasn’t seen much progress in recent months.

Are Variety's sources out of date? Playing coy? Is it related to that rumor of a new, dedicated Uncharted studio? How about a new Netflix series? A fun, independent YouTube short?

7/16/18

A post shared by Nathan Fillion (@nathanfillion) on

That looks like the Malay Peninsula on the map, but I guess we'll have to find out on Monday. San Diego Comic Con is coming up soon too! With all pop culture eyes on Southern California, it would be a great time to announce something!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #55
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
So what is Nathan Fillion teasing?

Are Variety's sources out of date? Playing coy? Is it related to that rumor of a new, dedicated Uncharted studio? How about a new Netflix series? A fun, independent YouTube short?

7/16/18

A post shared by Nathan Fillion (@nathanfillion) on

That looks like the Malay Peninsula on the map, but I guess we'll have to find out on Monday. San Diego Comic Con is coming up soon too! With all pop culture eyes on Southern California, it would be a great time to announce something!

It was a 15 minute fan film. Very good production values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CZQpqF_74
Old 07-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #56
Joosse
IndyFan

It was excellent! Loved it.

And I don't even like Uncharted...
Joosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #57
IndyBuff
IndyFan

I've never been crazy about the idea of an Uncharted movie but that clip was amazing!
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #58
Finn

It was a very well-made short film, with production values that don't pale a bit next to the big-budget productions.

Of course, before we start signing petitions, it's good to keep in mind that it's one thing to do it for 15 minutes, and whole another ballgame to stretch the same quality to 150.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #59
TheFirebird1
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
It was a very well-made short film, with production values that don't pale a bit next to the big-budget productions.

Of course, before we start signing petitions, it's good to keep in mind that it's one thing to do it for 15 minutes, and whole another ballgame to stretch the same quality to 150.
Yup. Certain directors and producers I've interacted with have harder times with making feature-length films than shorts, which are much easier to create, especially due to less limitations (you can create a shorter story without having to go in-depth, the MacGuffin doesn't need to be as big, and they're generally cheaper to make). And as someone who's made a few shorts (of extremely dubious quality before) they can take up to seventy-five percent less of the time it takes to make a feature-length film, which is great when you're working with actors, writers, and production staff on short schedules.
TheFirebird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM   #60
IndyBuff
IndyFan

Quote:

True. Maybe a mini-series would work better for a series like this.
IndyBuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:11 AM   #61
TheFedora
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
True. Maybe a mini-series would work better for a series like this.

I think it could work as a short series, maybe on Amazon or something like that...
Old 07-23-2018, 03:24 AM   #62
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFedora
It was a 15 minute fan film. Very good production values.

Son, you quoted a lot of text to say almost nothing.

Quote:

It looks as good as anything on the telly these days. They need a better action coordinator -- if they even had one -- but what they had was decent. Fillion is going to have to embrace the fact that it has to be his hide on the line should anything come of this.

Quote:

I don't want to rake you over the coals for making an obvious statement, but that's, well, obvious. However, I'm intrigued by the setup. It's borrowing the core conceit from A Thief's End to be sure, and I want to see where they take this (if anywhere).

Fillion is a known quantity, and Stephen Lang is an inspired choice for Victor "God Damn" Sullivan. Allan Ungar has a pair of decent action flicks under his belt already in Gridlocked and Tapped Out. The technical expertise is there, so it'd be up to those other intangibles -- the budget, script, and the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBuff
I've never been crazy about the idea of an Uncharted movie but that clip was amazing!

A film version is fine. Would be fine. The only thing they need not do is try and remake one of the games. Everything else is already set up for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Romano
Now what seemed like a one-and-done passion project could become something more. Ungar tells EW he has already received “a couple emails” about “what this could mean as a digital series or something further.” So keep your fingers crossed. “I think if it makes sense and if it’s done right, I’d be thrilled to have a conversation about it and possibly see this specific story continue,” he says. (Sony had no official comment to make at this time about Ungar and Fillion’s short, or the status of its Uncharted movie.)
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #63
Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Saboteur
I don't want to rake you over the coals for making an obvious statement, but that's, well, obvious.
When you look at various social media comments, it quickly becomes obvious that not for everybody.

Of course, no one in this thread has displayed such obtuseness. Obviously.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:05 PM   #64
curmudgeon
IndyFan

Meanwhile, the official movie (which you may recall is about a young Nathan Drake, rather than an adaptation of one of the games) is allegedly close to moving forward.

In an interview, director Shawn Levy talked about the project:
Quote:
The Playlist: Speaking of movies, you’ve got two films in the pipeline that you’ve been attached to direct. “Uncharted” and a remake of “Starman.” Are any of them closer to shooting than the others?

Levy:
I mean, as of right now, the closest to the starting line is “Uncharted” in that it’s a massive title. We now have a very good script and we have our star in Tom Holland. That is now subject to schedule and additional casting. But I would say as of right now, that seems to be the most near horizon. And it’s a movie I’m very excited about.

Currently, Holland's schedule on the next Spider-Man will run close to the end of the year, and he has a few weeks to a month of reshoots on "Chaos Walking" coming in early 2019.

Given that, I'd guess that filming could start as soon as March/April... but we'll see if it actually happens this time.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote