Ideas For New Indy Actor

robfilmmaker

Which actor could play Indy if reboot movie is made?

I'm a huge Indy fan and am excited to hear about a possible Indy 5 movie, BUT I feel the series needs a reboot. Indy needs to be younger for it to work the same as the original 3 films. Seeing old Indy in Crystal Scull trying to run, fight, etc, was kind of silly. It had a certain charm to it, but it wasn't really "believable" and I found myself being pulled out of the movie and disappointed.

This led me to think about a possible reboot of Indy. It could work really well if done right, just look at how awesome the reboot of Batman was by Chris Nolan. But WHO could pull off Indy today? I'd like to hear which actor you all think could do it well. I think the best actor to play Indy today would be Jeremy Renner.

Hanselation

Brian Geraghty

If in the next Indiana Jones movie another actor would play Indiana Jones in a flashback as a younger boy (like River Phoenix did it in LC) I would suggest this guy:

Brian Geraghty

2009+CineVegas+Film+Festival+Day+3+ET6Wu6H-sfIl.jpg

60731-28679.jpg

breakthrough.jpg

More Pics

See him act: Video

Last edited:

Raiders90

Does a "new Indy" have to look like Harrison? I mean Roger Moore looked pretty much nothing like Sean Connery.

I'm asking because our options could be much wider if the new guy doesn't have to look like Harrison, as long as he's got the acting chops to pull off the role. I'm just saying if a new actor has the chops and can pull off the rugged anti-hero adventurer as originally envisioned, does it matter if he looks like Harrison Ford?

I mean the original concept drawings of Indy look nothing like Harrison
mo_02.jpeg

If a guy has that classic Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Clark Gable sort of Golden Age of Hollywood look, or can at least be believable as Raiders of the Lost Ark Indy (ie, the mysterious "Man with No Name"-esque Indy), that's all that should count. Just reboot the series with a younger actor playing Indy in a new continuity.

Mickiana

If someone else does get to play a younger Indy, he must at least in some ways resemble HF. Because Harrison Ford looks like Indiana Jones, a new person must also have a look that will resemble Harrison in order to look like a believable (or acceptable) Indiana Jones.

foreignerfred

Hanselation said:
If in the next Indiana Jones movie another actor would play Indiana Jones in a flashback as a younger boy (like River Phoenix did it in LC) I would suggest this guy:

Brian Geraghty

2009+CineVegas+Film+Festival+Day+3+ET6Wu6H-sfIl.jpg

60731-28679.jpg

breakthrough.jpg

More Pics

See him act: Video

I actually support the idea of a flashback to younger (mid-20's, early 30's) Indy's adventures, very much like the LC teaser. I think, at least physically, Geraghty has exactly the look that would be needed.

I've always thought that had River Phoenix lived, here in 2012, people would be clambering for River to step into the role, since LC was essentially the Beards and Harrison giving him the thumbs up...as well as the fans (for the most part).

If there was a flashback scene starring Geraghty that captured even a little of Indy magic -- and all within a Harrison Ford Indy film, I think fans and average moviegoers alike would be on board. It doesn't get much more "Passing the torch" than that!

Plus, that would also ensure films STARRING Geraghty, or whoever else, would be Indy canon. That is, prequels, and not REBOOT.

This would continue the untold-story-phenomenon Lucas popularized with Star Wars (after attempting YIJC), while respecting Harrison's legacy by not erasing (like Lucas loves to do) his series.

Raiders90

Mickiana said:
If someone else does get to play a younger Indy, he must at least in some ways resemble HF. Because Harrison Ford looks like Indiana Jones, a new person must also have a look that will resemble Harrison in order to look like a believable (or acceptable) Indiana Jones.

True....I'd love if they just adapted some of the Bantam novels (with tweaks of course) to the big screen. Some classic Indy yarns there.

If not films, I'd love if Lucas did another show like the YIJC, picking up where it left off with some of the unsured script elements (like Indy meeting and partnering with Belloq in 1920).

Supernatural

I like Josh Brolin for the part, but ever since someone mentioned Nathan Fillion I've been rethinking it. I think his everyman look and demeanor and sense of humor are right on the nose.

Montana Smith

Supernatural said:
...but ever since someone mentioned Nathan Fillion I've been rethinking it. I think his everyman look and demeanor and sense of humor are right on the nose.

Though his nose doesn't look good in a fedora.

fullscreencapture080420.jpg

fullscreencapture080420.jpg

Henry W Jones

There will be something off with anyone in the role that isn't Harrison. Most likely they get someone who looks like him they won't be able to act or vise versa. Or his voice won't be right for Indy. All I'm saying is I don't think a reboot is a good idea with such a great character that was partially made great by the actor playing him. I think a reboot is unnecessary like most reboots and remakes. I would rather someone creates a character of the same motif that has similar type adventures. Uncharted the movie is far more welcome in my book than an Indy reboot. But I will take another sequel with Harrison if done soon.

Mickiana

I think it would be great if a reboot is done with someone appropriate. It was a gamble when they took on Harrison for Raiders. It worked out fantastic. Yes, he set the bar and mostly owns the role. I say 'mostly' because it has been noted how he seemed a little lacklustre in LC and, well, CS of course has its problems. All this "Harrison is the only one" seems a little bit too 'worshippy' for me. I bet Harrison wouldn't care if the role went to someone else to enable historically earlier time slots for a movie setting, especially if that person did a good job and even if it happened in his lifetime. Of course GL is the one to decide that, but reincarnating Indiana Jones via a new younger actor only makes good sense to me. What a fantastic way to keep enjoying the adventures of Indiana Jones. They did it with Young Indiana Jones but of course he was really young but there was nothing wrong with it. As such, there will be nothing wrong with a new younger Indy for more adventures from the 1920s and 1930s.

Henry W Jones

Mickiana said:
I think it would be great if a reboot is done with someone appropriate. It was a gamble when they took on Harrison for Raiders. It worked out fantastic. Yes, he set the bar and mostly owns the role. I say 'mostly' because it has been noted how he seemed a little lacklustre in LC and, well, CS of course has its problems. All this "Harrison is the only one" seems a little bit too 'worshippy' for me. I bet Harrison wouldn't care if the role went to someone else to enable historically earlier time slots for a movie setting, especially if that person did a good job and even if it happened in his lifetime. Of course GL is the one to decide that, but reincarnating Indiana Jones via a new younger actor only makes good sense to me. What a fantastic way to keep enjoying the adventures of Indiana Jones. They did it with Young Indiana Jones but of course he was really young but there was nothing wrong with it. As such, there will be nothing wrong with a new younger Indy for more adventures from the 1920s and 1930s.

It isn't worshippy it's a matter of can't something else similar be done without having to reboot something? Also I am a huge believer in Harrison made the role as good as it is and if Selleck had been Indy it would not have been done as well. Let's see a new adventurer and enjoy Indiana Jones for what it is with Harrison. The other James Bonds never are the same without Connery. And SPF's Indy portrayal never worked for me either.

Mickiana

Indiana Jones, like James Bond, is formulaic. An adventuring archaeologist with an academic side chasing the prize against typical foes, getting the girl, losing the prize, sometimes losing the girl. Of course someone else can do it. And I don't want something similar, I want Indiana Jones. If we get a fifth one out of Harrison we will be lucky. After that, or even now, no more Indy forever?!!! I don't like that idea. And there's no use talking about how if Tom Selleck had been Indy how different it would have been. shoulda woulda coulda. Let's talk about what's possible, feasible and desirable. If you don't desire a replacement of Harrison, that's fine, but the thread topic is looking for ideas for a new Indy actor.

Henry W Jones

Mickiana said:
Indiana Jones, like James Bond, is formulaic. An adventuring archaeologist with an academic side chasing the prize against typical foes, getting the girl, losing the prize, sometimes losing the girl. Of course someone else can do it. And I don't want something similar, I want Indiana Jones. If we get a fifth one out of Harrison we will be lucky. After that, or even now, no more Indy forever?!!! I don't like that idea. And there's no use talking about how if Tom Selleck had been Indy how different it would have been. shoulda woulda coulda. Let's talk about what's possible, feasible and desirable. If you don't desire a replacement of Harrison, that's fine, but the thread topic is looking for ideas for a new Indy actor.

I know the thread topic and I don't think any actor should play the role but Harrison. Period. Anything is possible but I don't find it feasible or desirable. And my point with Selleck was anyone could play the part, but can anyone else own it like Harrison. I feel the answer is no so Indy should be left alone after Harrison. Create a new adventure character instead of possibly ruining a classic one.

Mickiana

Getting back on track, Eric Bana has been mentioned. I think he might do a good job. He certainly can muster up the ruggedness and could have a suave side too. I'm not favouring him because he's a fellow Aussie, in fact I wouldn't want Indy to have an Australian accent! But I'm sure Eric could modulate his voice. Eric turns a youthful 44 this year so he has some time to do Indy if that realm of possibility ever came his way sooner than later.

But we would want someone even younger of course to be an Indy in the 1920s and 1930s. An actor about 30yo would be preferable to be able to get a few movies out of. Ah, all this speculation is a lovely fiction, isn't it?