MacGyver

Katarn07

ResidentAlien said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnL-MrnhWBY

MythBusters MacGyver Special!

Full Episode is apparently coming February 20th! Can't wait. :)

I had heard they were doing this. I love that show. I missed the Bond specials, but the Indy stuff they've done is great (particularly the ToD awning drop). They definately need more Hollywood specials now that the show's been on so long. Some of the myths they do are pretty dumb and common sense. I'm sure they're having a blast blowing things up, but when they and the viewer both know if the myth will be busted or not before they even start work on it, it's not as fun....

Andy Jones

A great show with an even better theme tune. FX shows episodes of MacGyver pretty much every day in the UK.

Iandiana

Johan said:
I have every episode of Quantum Leap on DVD

Quantum Leap will forever be missed. I watched a documentary on Youtube where the guy who cancelled the show apologised and said he made a mistake. He goes on to say if QL had continued it would still be around today.

However, just ordered my final 2 seasons of MacGuyver. Should be with me in 5 days. Awesome!

Katarn07

OK, for MacGyver to be successful, I feel RDA needs to reprise the role! He did it for the Master Card commercial. Hopefully he'd be willing to do this too.

Katarn07 said:
OK, for MacGyver to be successful, I feel RDA needs to reprise the role! He did it for the Master Card commercial. Hopefully he'd be willing to do this too.

Agreed fully.

I do kinda hope they retcon the son-angle from the final episode of the series.

Michael24

ResidentAlien said:
HAPPY FLIPPIN' DAY!

http://gizmodo.com/386877/holy-crap-macgyver-blockbuster-film-coming

A MacGyver movie is on the way! If Richard Dean Anderson doesn't make a return, I'll be supremely disappointed...

Don't know if this deserves its own thread in the Films section. I'll leave that to the Mod's discretion.

I know it's a different studio, but if they won't let Tom Selleck star in a Magnum movie, I doubt we'll get to see Richard Dean Anderson star in a MacGyver movie. Maybe he'll have a cameo, but he likely won't be Mac himself. :(

Michael24 said:
I know it's a different studio, but if they won't let Tom Selleck star in a Magnum movie, I doubt we'll get to see Richard Dean Anderson star in a MacGyver movie. Maybe he'll have a cameo, but he likely won't be Mac himself. :(

Heh, the situation's not the same at all. Selleck signed on for Magnum PI and while that was filming he'd have an exclusivity to that. RDA's wide-open. Retired. Nothing on the docket. He could be in it unless they want to cast someone younger. And I hope they don't.

Kingsley

Richard Dean Anderson IS MacGyver.

The difference between him reprising the role or someone else taking that place determines my will to see the movie.

Michael24

I agree. But I just don't think it'll happen. It's very rare that a movie based on a TV show (especially one that's been off the air for, what, over 15 years?) keeps the original actor(s). They always get recast, so if we ever do get a bid-screen MacGyver, chances are pretty good it'll be a different actor.

ResidentAlien said:
Heh, the situation's not the same at all. Selleck signed on for Magnum PI and while that was filming he'd have an exclusivity to that. RDA's wide-open. Retired. Nothing on the docket. He could be in it unless they want to cast someone younger. And I hope they don't.

Oh, I just re-read that. Lol. My mind's so in Indy-fever lately I see it everywhere. Haha.

I didn't hear about Selleck being refused a reprisal of his role. I thought you mean they wouldn't let him do other work while doing Magnum. I.E Raiders. ...nevermind.

Michael24

Okay, I see. I had been trying to figure out what you were saying in your previous post. Haha!!

But yeah, Selleck has wanted to do a Magnum movie for several years now, and Tom Clancy even wrote a script that is reportedly a top notch action/techno-thriller that is both a throwback to the series and a story relevant to the current state of the world. But Universal would basically only let Selleck star if he'd agreed to make it as a simple TV reunion movie, but he wanted to make it a big-screen feature, for which Universal would rather cast somebody else. At the moment, Matthew McConaughey is set to play Magnum in the feature.

NoCamels

I thought Richard Dean Anderson had said once that he wasn't interested in playing MacGyver in a movie. Although I think at the time he was in the middle of Stargate SG-1, so that may have been a factor.

I'd prefer a MacGyver movie with RDA, of course, but the right actor could probably pull it off if they went younger. Or, the reason Mac finds his son in the last episode was to leave the possibility of a "Young MacGyver" spinoff open. (Personally, I would have gone with the mini-MacGyver runaway Lisa- I was sad she was not a recurring character.)

I am quite mad that the box set is the only way to get the 2 tv movies. I already bought all the seasons and I've never seen those movies!

Michael24

Actually, a few years ago they produced a Young MacGyver pilot, but it was about Mac's nephew! Yeah, not his son, but his nephew. Which was strange, because wasn't Mac an only child? How could he have had a nephew? Regardless, the pilot was never picked up and the project died.

And I agree about the DVDs. If I had the money, I'd splurg on that box set. I don't have the existing releases. I was going to buy the two movies when they were announced just to have at least those, but when I read they were only available in the expensive "Complete Series" set, I went, "Well, so much for that." They should have been released separately as well.

The DVD boxset is love. Glad I waited on picking 'em all up as Treasure of Atlantis is an essential part of my childhood and I'd have been sorely disappointed not to have a copy.

As for that Young MacGyver pilot... awful. The pieces of it I've managed to track down are just shameful. Padalecki is bland and boring and offers none of RDA's charisma. WB be damned. Thank god it never got past pilot stages.

The Man

ResidentAlien said:
The DVD boxset is love. Glad I waited on picking 'em all up as Treasure of Atlantis is an essential part of my childhood and I'd have been sorely disappointed not to have a copy.

As for that Young MacGyver pilot... awful. The pieces of it I've managed to track down are just shameful. Padalecki is bland and boring and offers none of RDA's charisma. WB be damned. Thank god it never got past pilot stages.

Is this the same Padalecki from that Supernatural?