Story Ideas for Indy V

Stoo

Turin Turambar said:
Would love Harrisons last indy adventure to be Exalibur and king arthur and his knights, i think this would make a solid story,
I emphatically disagree, Turin. Like others have said, Excalibur/Arthurian legend is essentially a 'been-there-done-that' scenario. (Feel free to come up with something else, though.;))
punisher5150 said:
Although the picture was soft, I think the decision to film it that way served two purposes: 1) to lessen the effect of Harrison's age but also 2) to kind of replicate the 1950s sci fi film look. Many sci fi "saucer" movies of the time used this technique to mask bad special effects. And I think the decision on Spielberg's part to film this way had more to do with the latter (replicating the look of 1950s saucer movies) than Harrison's age, although I can't really support that with any facts or articles.
Oh, my G_d!:eek: Please don't take this in a bad way, Punisher, but your #2 is a crazy thing to say! (For too many reasons to get into in this particular thread...;))
---
Anyway, what the heck does any of this recent discussion about Harrison's age have to do with 'Story Ideas for Indy V"?:confused:

Indy 5: This Time It's Pensionable

An ageing Indiana Jones wakes up one day to discover Marian wants a divorce, due to him being so boring. Under conditions of the pre-nup he drunkenly signed, she is entitled to half his collection of priceless antiquities. Bang goes his plans for a sweet sunset slide into oblivion.

Thus moany creaky old Harrison Ford, I mean Indy, is forced out of retirement for one last adventure - to kill Marian and bury her where no civilisation has gone before....

Last edited:

Randy_Flagg

Raiders112390 said:
KOTCS has left very little wriggle room storywise.
KOTCS leaves us with an Indy who is married, who has an adult son he wants to reconnect with, who is the Assistant Dean of a college in a much more conservative era. He can't go off running halfway around the world looking for bits of junk. Marion grew up with that; I doubt she'd want to be married to that. You can't ignore the presence of Junior Jones and his '50s rebel style. And while Indy might've gotten away with it as a teacher with Marcus covering for him under the guise that he was collecting relics for the museum, I can't see Assistant Dean Henry Jones running off on adventures and it being hunky dory. Indy seems to have even renounced being "Indy"...He's Henry Jones II now.
All of those problems could be easily sidestepped, though, with a bit of imagination. He could be abducted by the villains, for example, putting him in a scenario where he's not going on an adventure by choice, and also putting him in a situation where he has to muddle through on his own (since, presumably, the villains would not also kidnap Marion, Mutt, and 25 other sidekicks.)
Alternatively, they could do a "wrong place & time" situation, kind of like the first couple of Die Hard movies, where Indy is forced into taking action, and doesn't have time to consult with the college and his wife, kid, etc.

The bigger problems are the ones you mention later in your post, specifically concerning the fact that he couldn't really be getting into fistfights the way he did in the past. It would just look really silly to have a young, buff villain beating up a 75 year old. And it would look equally silly to see two 75 year old men beating each other up.

The only way I could see this working at this point would be to put the emphasis on Indy trying to sneak around to avoid fights since he knows he's too old to come out on top. That COULD actually add tension to the film, if handled properly, but it's risky ground.

Yes he could be thrown into a adventure without knowing about it, would be set in the 60's at this point with Harry aging 5 years. Would be good if they had the Vietnam war involved in Indy 5 I think this is a strong idea, they could just have a scene with Mutt fighting in vietnam getting blown up. he wouldnt have to even

be in it if they did this, Life is tough sometimes could even have Marion dead due to a illness, making him want to put his fedora on one last time.

This would make it darker like Temple, and Raiders, KOTCS was way to lighthearted.

Harrion can stil fight like a young man, he did in skull, and he was believable...

Mickiana

Túrin Turambar said:
they could just have a scene with Mutt...getting blown up. he wouldnt have to even be in it if they did this, Life is tough sometimes could even have Marion dead due to a illness

Very candid. I like it. :D

Soft Focus of Indy 4 intentional

Stoo said:
Oh, my G_d!:eek: Please don't take this in a bad way, Punisher, but your #2 is a crazy thing to say! (For too many reasons to get into in this particular thread...;))
---
http://www.thatmoviesite.com/readReview.php?rId=1545

Extract from the article:
Director Steven Spielberg and cinematographer Janusz Kaminski had a distinctive intent for the visuals of the film. The entire movie kind of looks like a soft focused wedding picture. There is obvious attention to light, framing and everyone is kind in an unnatural perfect formation to let you see all their faces. There is a glossy sheen over most of the scenes, as if Kaminski went through thousands of gallons of Vaseline in the making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Even though it evokes feelings of my aunts wedding, it works to create a retro feeling, to put the audience in the fifties with Dr. Jones.

Anyway, back to Indy 5 discussions: I really think they should simply go back to Fate of Atlantis or Infernal Machine. There is so much they could mine from those games. But they would have to rewrite the timeline and I am not sure Lucasfilm is willing to do that. Plus they lose out on a new Indiana Jones movie/game tie-in unless they repackage the old games and sell again. But I don't think KotCS or Temple really had game tie-ins either, so maybe that wouldn't even matter.

I would like a Nazi Cult in the next one with the main bad guy the cult leader trying to reestablish the Reich. It could even have the old double-cross, where one of Indy's peers or even teaching partners is secretly the cult leader. Maybe he enlists Indy's help for some powerful artifact that will help him in his quest to reestablish the Reich. A Cthulhu-like dark power would be really cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

RKORadio

Why is everyone acting like the tagline for Indy 5 will be "He Started Life In Diapers... And He's Ending It In Diapers!"

The Drifter

RKORadio said:
Why is everyone acting like the tagline for Indy 5 will be "He Started Life In Diapers... And He's Ending It In Diapers!"

Because Harrison Ford is up in years, and folk are trying to be witty. The thing is; the joke is beyond the point of being even remotely funny anymore.

Henry W Jones

RKORadio said:

Some people hate Crystal Skull so much that five years later they can't stop talking about it.

Henry W Jones

replican't said:
Indiana Jones and The Continents Of Incontinence

Indiana Jones and Tje Dimensions Between Dementia

Your jokes are tired and stale. To be constantly bashing a five year old movie, especially on the level you do it, is pathetic. We get it, you don't like CS. Get over it. You say the same jokes over and over again with minimal variation. Your post have become very redundant and you contribute nothing but lame jokes about a film you can't stop talking about. You don't bother me like you do others but I find your behavior to be childish and you are not funny. Someone funny comes with new material from time to time.

Henry Jones VII

How about making the story around a Satanic Cult that has ties with the myth of Vlad the Impaler and Romania?

could be interesting :confused:

Henry W Jones said:
Your jokes are tired and stale. To be constantly bashing a five year old movie, especially on the level you do it, is pathetic. We get it, you don't like CS. Get over it. You say the same jokes over and over again with minimal variation. Your post have become very redundant and you contribute nothing but lame jokes about a film you can't stop talking about. You don't bother me like you do others but I find your behavior to be childish and you are not funny. Someone funny comes with new material from time to time.

Indiana Jones & The Same Jokes With Minimal Variation

Stoo

punisher5150 said:
Soft Focus of Indy 4 intentional
Punisher, I wasn't debating whether the "soft" look was intentional or not. My main objection was regarding your thought that Spielberg decided to use "soft focus" to replicate 1950s sci-fi/saucer films. I don't know which ones you're talking about but I've seen many and can't think of any that have this look. While watching "Skull", not once did I ever think that it was filmed like a 1950s sci-fi movie (and still don't).

Spielberg's intent was to have "Crystal Skull" look like the previous 3. When Janusz Kaminski was interviewed about Indy 4 by "American Cinematographer", he even spoke about this at length but he never mentioned anything about the desire to make it look like a '50s movie.
punisher5150 said:
http://www.thatmoviesite.com/readReview.php?rId=1545

Extract from the article:
Director Steven Spielberg and cinematographer Janusz Kaminski had a distinctive intent for the visuals of the film. The entire movie kind of looks like a soft focused wedding picture. There is obvious attention to light, framing and everyone is kind in an unnatural perfect formation to let you see all their faces. There is a glossy sheen over most of the scenes, as if Kaminski went through thousands of gallons of Vaseline in the making of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Even though it evokes feelings of my aunts wedding, it works to create a retro feeling, to put the audience in the fifties with Dr. Jones.
This "article" is a movie review by a blogger who is a self-professed, amateur critic. I read her entire review and it's peppered with incorrect details about the story plus misinformed statements (ex. Philip Kaufman co-wrote the script). She even dedicates a paragraph to complain about Indy's hat having too much screentime. Most importantly, of the 125+ films she has reviewed, NONE are from the '50s!:rolleyes: In my opinion, LaRae Meadows' clueless remarks aren't very valid.

I was wondering how & why you chose that particular piece to support your theory so I googled, 'crystal skull kaminski fifties', and her review was the top result of the search. Is that how you found it, as well, or are you a regular reader?:confused:

All that said, I think the look of "Skull" should be carried on with the (hypothetical) new film in order to keep some continuity between the two.
Túrin Turambar said:
Would be good if they had the Vietnam war involved in Indy 5 I think this is a strong idea,
I disagree. "Crystal Skull" confirms the trend that Indiana Jones movies reflect the Hollywood films of whatever era they are set in. The 1960s were definitely NOT a time when movies about the Vietnam War were fashionable and it stayed that way until 1978. Vietnam War flicks were, largely, an '80s thing.

The only fitting aspect of that war that I could see being in Indy 5 would be the anti-communist angle, which I'd like to have continued (if there ever will be a new movie). Put Dr. Jones in winter 1959, in a snowy, Chinese location and have him tool around some islands in the South China Sea. Heck, throw in Hong Kong, too, so we can have another Blumburtt-type character & British troops who save Indy at the end!(y)

Indy and Vietnam War

I think another sci-fi outing for Indy wouldn't be bad. I am not sure he could tackle aliens again, but a possible ancient alien artifact perhaps, something tied to Mesopotamia or the like. That is why I think Infernal Machine would be a good way to progress the sci-fi angle without overtly going back to aliens.

An adventure set in the Orient would be a good change as well. We've only had the teaser of ToD set in that part of the world (technically India is South Asia, but I don't think it is considered the Orient. I could be wrong.)

Montana Smith

Indy and the Vietnam War

During this period Indy's other son (not Mutt) had followed in his father's footsteps by taking up a position with the US Army's Military Intelligence, assuming the rank of Colonel and the pseudonym 'Lucas'.

5884-812.gif

'Colonel Lucas' had a superficial role in the rather interesting hunt for a certain Colonel Kurtz. However, the more interesting story concerns the father.

What really went on in that jungle? Was there any truth to the rumours that Indy and Kurtz had been friends hunting for a particularly dangerous supernatural artifact?

One man came out of the jungle with his mind intact. The other looked behind the curtain that protects us from the dark reality...and went crazy.

All will be revealed soon in...

Indiana Jones and the Apocalypse Machine.

Public Health Disclaimer: While paramedics and psychiatrists will be on hand at every theatre, the producers cannot guarantee the sanity of audience members. This film may literally blow your mind.

Stoo I concede

I haven't found any other references saying that Spielberg was intentionally trying to get that B-movie look. However I have found dozens of reviews stating that the look of the movie evokes a B-move feel.

As for movies with a similar look:

Planet of the Vampires
This Island Earth if I remember correctly

are the two that I thought of after watching Indy 4. Anyway, I think the cinematography worked for the most part. It was very noticeable in the scene where Indy is captured and staring at the skull with Spalko explaining the plan to take over the minds of western leaders.

Anyway, back to Indy 5....

I want to see the Russian snowmobile chase someone talked about in a very early post (this thread, I think), so maybe a Tomb of the Gods-type story would be cool. Let's move the franchise into the sci-fi/horror arena.

Dr. Gonzo

Montana Smith said:
During this period Indy's other son (not Mutt) had followed in his father's footsteps by taking up a position with the US Army's Military Intelligence, assuming the rank of Colonel and the pseudonym 'Lucas'.

5884-812.gif

'Colonel Lucas' had a superficial role in the rather interesting hunt for a certain Colonel Kurtz. However, the more interesting story concerns the father.

What really went on in that jungle? Was there any truth to the rumours that Indy and Kurtz had been friends hunting for a particularly dangerous supernatural artifact?

One man came out of the jungle with his mind intact. The other looked behind the curtain that protects us from the dark reality...and went crazy.

All will be revealed soon in...

Indiana Jones and the Apocalypse Machine.

Public Health Disclaimer: While paramedics and psychiatrists will be on hand at every theatre, the producers cannot guarantee the sanity of audience members. This film may literally blow your mind.

While I'm not around much to comment any more I must say... much love Smiffy... plus 3.14 to this post. And you can have your pi and eat it too...

good night and good luck.

I'm dissolving into the other side folks