Resentment of Indy by Mutt

Raiders90

Does it seem that Mutt is very resentful of Indy?
Even in the Jungle scenes, where he sarcastically calls him "Daddy-O" or mocks the idea that his father is "Just, just some--SCHOOLTEACHER?" or even at the end, when Indy says, "Why don't you stick around, JUNIOR?", to which Mutt replies, "Why didn't you...Dad?"...That would normally, in a film or real life be a very awkward exchange, yet in the movie Marion greets it with a big cheesy grin as does Indy...I mean even in that last spoken comment with them, he seems resentfull--"Why didn't you stick around?"--More resentful than Indy was for Henry. I'd say there might even be a hatred of Indy on Mutt's part.

And I could see Mutt betraying Indy, perhaps to his death, out of resentment (for example for being forced to go back to school) in Indy V.

Meerkat

Yep. But toward the end, he seemed to deal with the fact that Indy was his father better than at the beginning.

oki9Sedo

Raiders112390 said:
even at the end, when Indy says, "Why don't you stick around, JUNIOR?", to which Mutt replies, "Why didn't you...Dad?"...That would normally, in a film or real life be a very awkward exchange, yet in the movie Marion greets it with a big cheesy grin as does Indy...I mean even in that last spoken comment with them, he seems resentfull--"Why didn't you stick around?"

They smile because, while it is a cheeky comment, he ends it by calling him "Dad", showing that he has accepted him as his father and he has grown on him and things have moved forward alot.

Raiders112390 said:
More resentful than Indy was for Henry

Hardly unusual, he's supposed to be a teenager.

Cole

oki9Sedo hit the nail on the . The exchange of names is something used in 'Last Crusade'.......Henry Sr. calls his son "Junior," throughout the whole film - which Indy hates. And then when Henry Sr. tries to get Indy's hand (and forget about the Cup), he finally calls him "Indiana." Beautiful scene. Then they all laugh about Indy being named after the dog, we all laugh, they ride off into the sunset.......it's my favorite Indy film.

I like that they continued this aspect in 'Crystal Skull.' Indy calls Mutt "Junior," Mutt finally calls Indy "Dad" - it's a way of showing their acceptance for each other. I also like when they both answer to "Henry" at the end in the wedding scene.

Mutt's resentment is just typical of not accepting a father who hasn't been there all his life........plus he kind of has a typical teen/early 20's tough-guy attitude, which could be a product of not having a father in his life. You could say when we meet Mutt, he's even a lost character, like Indy........and that's a big theme of the film - these lost characters finding what they needed: a family.