Which games are canon?

Wu_Han

Just dipping my toe into Indy gaming with the Emperor's Tomb (I don't have the right video card :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :confused: :confused: ) and I was wondering if the games plots are cannon and which games events are cannon?

Travis85

Last Crusade can't be cannon since it takes some pretty big liberties with the movie :p. FoA could be cannon :) that is an awesome game!. I am pretty sure Emperors Tomb is canon, although I have not played it. I think the games ends just before the events of Temple of Doom.

Finn

Staff member
There is no "official" canon at the moment outside the filmed material. So it's up to you to decide.

MaxPhactor23

Travis85 said:
Last Crusade can't be cannon since it takes some pretty big liberties with the movie :p. FoA could be cannon :) that is an awesome game!. I am pretty sure Emperors Tomb is canon, although I have not played it. I think the games ends just before the events of Temple of Doom.

Yes, if I recall right, Emperors Tomb has Indy searching for the remains of Nurachi from the opening of Temple of Doom.

metalinvader

MaxPhactor23 said:
Yes, if I recall right, Emperors Tomb has Indy searching for the remains of Nurachi from the opening of Temple of Doom.

Emperors Tomb happens before Indy goes on his search for the remains of Nurhachi.

Infact,If I remember...Wu-Han mentions something about "The Nurhachi job" to Indy at the end of the game.

Indeed he does mention Nurhachi, but I really hope ET is not canon, as it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense, plus the whole Indy knowing Wu Han for about a week before his death, and the complete lack of Short Round...

I like to think Fate of Atlantis and Infernal Machine are canon, as they've got pretty rock tight plotting, whereas Emporers Tomb was some Feverish dream Indy had one night after eating too many pieces of ancient Chinese Cheese

Grizzlor

George Lucas many years ago established what is called the "Expanded Universe" for Star Wars. In it, anything and everything Lucas Films licenses for Star Wars is part of that Universe. Obviously anything that happens on his actual Star Wars productions would trump the EU. That said, they have remained pretty loyal, to the point where Lucas does give direction on some of the projects.

I would gander that Indiana Jones follows the same mold. Although they might not keep as close an eye on it, the EU would include novels, comics, and video games. In such I would say that Fate of Atlantis, Indy Desktop, Infernal Machine, and Emperor's Tomb would be part of the EU. The games made off of ToD and LC might not be, if they didn't follow the movie's script.

Stoo

Finn said:
There is no "official" canon at the moment outside the filmed material. So it's up to you to decide.
Last year, you said something in this thread that has always intrigued me:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=10608

"There's one exception though... I can't recall the source, but I remember reading or hearing somewhere that FoA would be canon."

I would really like to know where that information might have come from.
Anyone else every read/hear anything about this?

(Funny, I remember the son of a co-worker had the "Fate of Atlantis" game
and was absolutely convinced that it was going to be a new movie. It was
impossible to change his mind so I just let him keep on believin'...)

Anyway, I envy you folks who have "Infernal Machine" and "Emperor's Tomb".
I've never played them and would love to see more of Wu Han since he's such
a neglected character. I agree that knowing Indy for only a short time before
his death is really dumb but would still like to play it, regardless.

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
I've never played them and would love to see more of Wu Han since he's such
a neglected character.
Well, his total screentime in this one too is like two to three minutes or so... not exactly living up to the "old friend" part.

Like it has been stated, ET is just one jumbled mess of a story with plot holes you could fit an elephant through. There's a good reason to hope it's not canon.

And as far FoA goes, as I said, I recall picking up something like that... it still doesn't make it "officially" canon however.

What's token however is that Indy's canonity is definitely not as closely tracked one as the one of Star Wars.

Stoo

Finn said:
Well, his total screentime in this one too is like two to three minutes or so... not exactly living up to the "old friend" part.
Really? Well then, forget the "old friend" bit as it's the "many adventures" line from TOD
that makes this 1 week thing completely bogus. It kills it (and that's too bad).

with plot holes you could fit an elephant through.
That's funny! :D

I recall picking up something like that... it still doesn't make it "officially" canon however.
I was going to mention that before...but would still like to know where the hell you heard it...

What's token however is that Indy's canonity is definitely not as closely tracked one as the one of Star Wars.
If G.Lucas gets confused, he can always come to us.:whip:

The Tingler

Fate of Atlantis has two games, a graphic novel and several other appearances by Sophia Hapgood. If any of the games are canon, it's that one.

I'd like to think Infernal Machine was canon as well, just because it's one of the few Indy stories set after WW2 (the main other being of course Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) and so it's my favourite one to play to get me in the mood for Indy IV.

It's my personal favourite of the games, despite Fate of Atlantis being stronger in many areas. Out of all the games it's the only one to have decent action-packed set pieces, it's the most epic in scope and terrain, and it's the only one that for me truly gave the feeling of a desperate race against the bad guys.

The Tingler

If, on the other hand, you're just looking for decent Indiana Jones games to play to get you in the mood for Indy IV, here's the list of good games, in order of Indyness:

Fate of Atlantis
Infernal Machine
Emperor's Tomb (despite plot flaws and the irritating lack of a save function, it's certainly the action game of choice)
Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures (okay, a frustrating Super Star Wars knock-off but still quite fun)

And that's about it until Lego Indy in June.

Lambonius

Most would say that FOA beats all, and I'd pretty much agree.

For me personally, Last Crusade graphic adventure holds a special place in my heart. It was the first true computer game I ever played as a kid (besides some great old ASCII ones), the first one I ever beat, and the single influence that made me become a lifelong Jones fan. Even going back and playing it, I still can't get enough. And I quite like the liberties it takes with the film, especially the fact that it allows you to go on some pretty wildly divergent paths from the actual film's storyline (getting Hitler to sign an official travel pass instead of the Diary, skipping the zeppelin, the alternate endings, etc.) The only thing I wish it had was some sort of playable version of the desert tank scenes. Even if it wasn't an action sequence like in the movie, they definitely could have done SOMETHING with it. Given you some great puzzles to solve in the desert just getting to the canyon, then figuring out a way into the tank, rescuing Henry, beating Vogel--it definitely could have been done. Great game.

JerryKing

I seem to remember something about Lucas being involved in "Atlantis" and "Machine" (although if he was, it was probably to the extent of "oh, a game? What's he finding this time? Oh, Atlantis? Okay.")

But it's obviously thanks to Hal Barwood that these two stand high above any other games... and will continue to do so.

Lao_Che

If Leland Chee's following the Star Wars canon pattern, most of the games will be considered canon with the possible exception of the Desktop Adventures because of it's randomly generated levels but that doesn't mean the items in the game aren't.

Basically Emperor's Tomb as a whole will be regarded as canon but specific parts won't be eg. Indy's first meeting with Wu Han. That'll probably give way to IJ and the Dinosaur Eggs or another source if it's earlier in the timeline for the Wu Han's introduction. If that makes sense ;)

Vance

Well, 'canon' for Indiana Jones is a slightly murky beast. So far as I know, all that counts are the films and the TV series. But it's completely subject to Lucas's whims.

Now, there has been a somewhat adhered to 'continuity' by the book, game, etc, tie-ins. If you're trying to pin down 'what counts' in that continuity, then it isn't so much the games themselves, but the comic (or novel) that's related to each game.

Sort of like how 'Knights of the Old Republic', the game, isn't in EU continuity but the story from the game is.

Junior Jones

The problem with games as canon is that Indy frequently dies in the games (at least when I play them). But the basic story can be canon, if not the details.