Todds 8ft Nat Tan whip, thoughts to darken?

kevblee

Hey guys, any thoughts on how to darken this whip up some. Out of the three colors Todd offers, I liked the natural the best...but would love to know how to push it to a darker brown. Any suggestions? Thanks!:D

indyclone25

kevblee said:
Hey guys, any thoughts on how to darken this whip up some. Out of the three colors Todd offers, I liked the natural the best...but would love to know how to push it to a darker brown. Any suggestions? Thanks!:D

i have heard that if you pecards on it and leave it out in the sun a bit it will start to darken it , but to me i think it would dry it it out? i am letting mine darken naturally.

InexorableTash

Todd's 10' fresh out of the box:

Todd's 10' Whip by inexorabletash, on Flickr

... and after 2 weeks - and about 8 hours in the sun with multiple applications of leather conditioner:

Todd's 10' - 2 weeks later by inexorabletash, on Flickr

This was one of the "second generation" Todd's whips that were more than decorative, but one of the first and it shipped out dry as a bone. Apparently they have improved since then and ship out with some conditioner applied. I was not intending to darken the whip, just to let it soak up the conditioner - and it was thirsty!

kevblee

Wow, what a difference! I just got mine today in the mail, and it looks EXACTLY like your top photo. So I should just keep applying the little jar of pecards it came with.....how often were you applying it....and did you just lay it out in the sun? LOOKS great now!

InexorableTash

I actually used a different but similar conditioner. I basically slathered it on and left the whip in the sun. As soon as it was dry I repeated the process.

Careful, though. The direct sun plus oily residue worked like a tanning oil and over darkened the strap.

kevblee

Which conditioner did you use to get that results, it looks nice. I have been using the Pecards...and while it keeps the whip moist, I don't know if it's doing much on the darkening. Thanks!

Goodeknight

kevblee said:
I have been using the Pecards...and while it keeps the whip moist, I don't know if it's doing much on the darkening. Thanks!

Patience.

Give it time and it will darken naturally.

Don't overdose on Peccards, either. I understand you can loosen up your whip too much by over saturating it with conditioner. Treat it. Use it. Treat it. Use it. It'll age nicely on its own.

indyclone25

my 8ft todds whip is about a year and a half old and it still is a bit light , but it eventually will get darker too with age , i plan on keeping it for as long as i can , i have a 12 ft todds that i bought second hand from someone else and it is noticeably darker , so i'm sure with use it will darken to be like the 12 ftr
:whip: