General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Johnny Nys

Everywhere on the web I'm reading "Lucas confirms". Too bad this so-called "confirmation" means zilch. It's like saying "World Peace confirmed!" followed by a statement like "... is working on an idea which might lead to world peace ..."

Its going to happen,you dont leave a movie open ended like KOtcs and then say you are working on part 5 and have everybody else involved say that George is working on it and then not follow through.

michael

Johnny Nys said:
Everywhere on the web I'm reading "Lucas confirms". Too bad this so-called "confirmation" means zilch. It's like saying "World Peace confirmed!" followed by a statement like "... is working on an idea which might lead to world peace ..."
I heard he's looking for a MacGuffin for world peace...maybe Bono's sunglasses?

Grizzlor

They seem to be all aboard for another film, if Lucas gets the right idea. My guess is that as long as it isn't something that they really don't agree on, like aliens were for KOTCS, agreeing on the script would not be that difficult. If Lucas comes up with a theme that Steven doesn't really like too much, then forget it. Somehow, I think Harrison will sign on regardless.

The Man

Grizzlor said:
If Lucas comes up with a theme that Steven doesn't really like too much, then forget it.

I'd sooner have it the other way round. We need a fully engaged and enthusiastic Spielberg.

IndyFan89

It all comes down to $$$$, HF already said it, success breeds opportunity. They're making Iron Man 2 aren't they? Indy made around the same as that in the BO so obviously there will be a least one more, and if that one does just as good or better, they'll do it again. Then we will all have a big old saga on our hands.

Udvarnoky

IndyFan89 said:
They're making Iron Man 2 aren't they? Indy made around the same as that in the BO

Actually, though Indy4 made almost exactly the amount that Iron Man did domestically, Indy4 made a good $200 million more than Iron Man worldwide. In my opinion, there will at least be some kind of effort to make an Indy5, but whether or not it will actually happen is another story. I think it's less an issue of money or even interest than it is of time and everyone getting their schedules lined up.

caats

after adjustment i think i figured out worldwide that Skull was 3rd on the Indy money making list ahead of Temple of Doom.

Crusade>Raiders

Adjusted Indy Trilogy Domestic Totals:

Raiders:$665,940,600(good lord, not even the Dark Knight could touch that...)
Temple: $379,012,300(The sequels had a significant drop-off)
Last Crusade:$349,868,800(Damn, you'd think more people would come for another awesome light-hearted Indy adventure with Sean motha****ing Connery, but it was the biggest movie worldwide at the time).

Kingdom is $317,023,851 Domestic, by the way.

caats

yeah i knew it was less domestically. not surprising. new movies can't even tough the adjusted totals of the old movies. they never will either

Udvarnoky

Worldwide totals are more interesting. In the case of Indy over half the revenue comes from overseas territories. It depends on the brand. Indy is more universally loved, whereas American comic adaptations like Batman or Iron Man will obviously do most of its business stateside (though TDK was pretty impressive in this regard - even the people who expected incredible numbers for the TDK has low overseas expectations based on Batman Begins). Iron Man, for example, did much much, much worse than Indy4 overseas, so that it inched out Indy4 domestically doesn't really tell the whole story.

What the Indy domestic totals illustrate is the drop-off between sequels. The difference between Raiders and the first sequel is naturally significant, whereas the drop-offs you see between the sequels are very comparable and natural. Indy4 did precisely the kind of business it should have with the decrease from Crusade being almost the same as the decrease from Temple to Crusade, and I think Lucas's statement that "we were hoping for those kind of numbers" agrees with that.

muttjones

One thing that I reckon will be in Indy 5 is that Indy will be reluctant to settling down. He has had the woman of his dreams thrust upon quickly into marriage and he has become Associate Dean. Suddenly his life has changed dramatically and Indy won't feel comfortable with that. Being the Associate Dean, he would not get to go out on the field as much (if at all) and Indy isn't liking that. Mutt is off finishing high school and Marion seems happy with Indy at home.
But when Indy gets an opportunity to go searching for some mythical treasure that is only the stuf of legend, Indy takes it desperately. When is he going to get another chance to get out of the classroom?

Just an idea but I think Spielberg will like this as it is a father/husband getting cold feet and we all know how much Spielberg loves father's in his films.

spidey_99

Muttjones,

Lord I hope not! It's a cool idea (maybe for an Indy book) but man, I sure wish they would put Harrison and Lucas out to pasture on the flicks and bring in some new blood, and reboot the whole thing and set it back in 1930-1950 and leave the movies there.

Indy is one of the classic characrers of cinema and it seems like they should do a BOND reboot with him...not actually a reboot, more of going back to what made RAIDERS so strong.

I am of the mind that Spielberg always needing to infuse family matters into these flicks is just a way to keep him interested in doing them (he has said as much). To me, get a director on board- who would still report to Spielberg as an exec producer- who has a love for Raiders and that style of movie and who doesn't think the story needs a whole other layer on top of it just to be interesting.

But that is my 2 cents. I saw CRYSTAL SKULL 5 times in theaters and really didn't even like it. I would show up for ANY Indy movie, even him just sitting in a corner and playing the sax for 2 hours :)

Chicago Jones

Indy 5 should take place in the early 60's cause there is alot of history, it would be cool if Indy's service was needed in Nam or something and bob dylan came along... maybe not...

DocWhiskey

Chicago Jones said:
Indy 5 should take place in the early 60's cause there is alot of history, it would be cool if Indy's service was needed in Nam or something and bob dylan came along... maybe not...
Indiana Jones and Bob Dylan?

I smell success.:p

Morning Bell

Chicago Jones said:

I thought the transition to the 1950s worked pretty well so I don't think the 60s would be too much of a stretch. Still, I would like to see something in the 50s again, either a prequel or something that takes place a year or two after KOTCS.