More Australian news.

Mickiana

Clive Palmer, the mining magnate billionaire from Australia, is going to build a Titanic 2, amongst other luxury ocean liners for his company Blue Star Line. It will be built in China and have her maiden voyage late 2016. About half the tickets for the maiden voyage have apparently already been sold.

Goonie

And Captain Francesco Schettino has offered his services to captain the ship on its maiden voyage...:whip: :eek:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
For a minute there Mick, I thought you were going to talk about that shooting over the weekend.

Probably should add that Palmer also wants to be Treasurer for the opposition for the next election.

Obviously, ain't satisfied enough with the mines.

Mickiana

Hey Violet, I think reports of shootings here might only get a yawn from viewers in the US.;)

Clive's political move is to reinforce his industrial stakes. I don't think he is getting into politics out of humanitarian motives. He is a billionaire after all. His new fleet will be like toys.

Stoo

WilliamBoyd8 said:
I hate to say it but I am cheering for the iceberg.
Iceberg/Schmeisberg...Watch the Asylum film where The Titanic 2 gets swamped by *2* tsumanis! (Due to a melting iceberg!)

That said, I'm all for this re-creation. It was tried before, a few years ago, but was deemed to be too expensive. One requirement is, naturally, more lifeboats. Here's hoping the Titanic 2 eventually sees the light of day.(y)

Finn

Staff member
An Austrian and a Jew are walking down the street. The Jew is reading a newspaper. Suddenly, he smacks his companion upside the head.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?" barks the Austrian.

"That was for trying to rebuild the Titanic. Just read it here in the paper. Silliest thing ever," the Jew replied.

"What the... Austria isn't even located anywhere near an ocean! Lemme see that," the Austrian says, grabbing the paper. "You nearsighted fool! It says Australians here. A completely different nation."

"Austrian, Australian... sure sounds the same to me," mutters the Jew.

Couple of minutes later, the Austrian smacks the Jew upside the head.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?"

"That was for sinking the original Titanic."

"What the hell, we Jews had nothing to do with that!"

"Iceberg, Goldberg... sure sounds the same to me."

Dr. Gonzo

Finn said:
An Austrian and a Jew are walking down the street. The Jew is reading a newspaper. Suddenly, he smacks his companion upside the head.

"Ow! What the hell was that for?" barks the Austrian.

"That was for trying to rebuild the Titanic. Just read it here in the paper. Silliest thing ever," the Jew replied.

"What the... Austria isn't even located anywhere near an ocean! Lemme see that," the Austrian says, grabbing the paper. "You nearsighted fool! It says Australians here. A completely different nation."

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rOFjCWEB52M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

otto rahn

Mickiana said:
Jim nearly got the accent right. A bit more of a relaxed drawl would help. Orrlright, maate?
Fair suck of the sauce bottle "Mick". You can't expect Seppos to get our accent right !:p

Mickiana

Abso-bloody-lutely, mate. I know they had a fair go, but we'll have to give 'em the big 'A'. Up here in the Antipodes, we understand said mimicry of our lovely language. Who wouldn't want to talk like we do! But they'll 'ave ta pull their socks ups, get their arse into gear and stop talkin' through the back of their necks!

NB Had to look up the origin of 'Seppo'. It's one of those words I had heard of, but never investigated. In my Dictionary of Australian Colloquial Language Seppo refers to a Yank as it rhymed with 'tank' as in 'septic tank': the abbreviation of a rhyme. It's not commonly used these days - I can't recall someone using it - and i can't remember where I saw or heard the word originally. Might have been used more during the war(s).

Mickiana said:
NB Had to look up the origin of 'Seppo'. It's one of those words I had heard of, but never investigated. In my Dictionary of Australian Colloquial Language Seppo refers to a Yank as it rhymed with 'tank' as in 'septic tank': the abbreviation of a rhyme. It's not commonly used these days - I can't recall someone using it - and i can't remember where I saw or heard the word originally.

There isn't a more suitable source for the rhyme tank...one inspired by something more dominant than a stench?

Mickiana said:
Might have been used more during the war(s).

RKORadio

A Yank girl who had lived in Queensland for five months during her Gap Year said "We're not all Seppos". I pointed out to her that five months in QLD is not the same as having lived here a lifetime.

Montana Smith

RKORadio said:
A Yank girl who had lived in Queensland for five months during her Gap Year said "We're not all Seppos". I pointed out to her that five months in QLD is not the same as having lived here a lifetime.

What? :confused:

You mean if she'd lived her life in Queensland she would have stunk more and would've been more representative of a septic tank?

Is anyone looking into the personal hygiene situation in QLD?

Goodeknight

If anyone recreates the Titanic, my hope would be that it's done right using the same materials and such -- so it's not a cheesy mockup made of plastic. Hence the earlier "too expensive" shutdown. It'll cost a lot to do it right. And they'd have to have "new safety features" noted in every brochure, website, photo gallery, or interview.

Montana Smith

goodeknight said:
If anyone recreates the Titanic, my hope would be that it's done right using the same materials and such -- so it's not a cheesy mockup made of plastic. Hence the earlier "too expensive" shutdown. It'll cost a lot to do it right. And they'd have to have "new safety features" noted in every brochure, website, photo gallery, or interview.

They'll have to include more lifeboats this time.

So it won't be accurate.

It'll be a reboot!

RKORadio said:
Imagine the experience you would expect/require someone should have to identify racism or sexism!

Staggering!

WilliamBoyd8

I read a mystery book recently, The Mountains Have a Secret by
Australian writer Arthur Upfield.

In it, an Aboriginal detective Napoleon finds that Austria's most famous citizen
has moved to Australia.

:)

Montana Smith

WilliamBoyd8 said:
I read a mystery book recently, The Mountains Have a Secret by
Australian writer Arthur Upfield.

In it, an Aboriginal detective Napoleon finds that Austria's most famous citizen
has moved to Australia.

:)

images

"G'day mate. I'm looking for a sheila by the name of Sarah Connor."

This is a useful page:

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Mickiana

Rocket Surgeon said:
There isn't a more suitable source for the rhyme tank...one inspired by something more dominant than a stench?

Australian humour is not always known for subtlety. :p It's a long derivative - yank, tank, septic tank, seppo. With degrees of separation like that, many bizarre configurations are possible.

ps Watch the Youtube clip (51min) called 'Why They Sank The Titanic". Pretty interesting theory.