Welding

Goodeknight

I'm going to get set up to do some blacksmithing soon, and also want to do some light welding.

I want the welding to be easy and cheap. What's the best route? (I think I've heard a few of you mention that you weld or work with metal.) Arc? MIG? TIG? I'd rather not mess with mixing gas into the equation.

As for what I'd be welding, stuff like the anvil stand, pieces for door hinges, maybe eventually some go cart parts or something, iron to iron for shelf brackets, etc. On the heaviest end, I may eventually build a greenhouse roof, utilizing a lot of metal.

A lot of stuff can be forged, but I still need to weld things here and there.

Anyone offer some suggestions??

Mickiana

Rent or buy a 'caddy' welder. This is a small type of welder that can be worn over the shoulder with it's long strap and takes up very little room in a home workshop. They can be set up for stick (arc) or tig, but if you are a beginner just try stick. TIG is very nice to use but it requires a special lead and gas. There is a bit of an art to welding so maybe do a beginners course at your nearest college. For most home stuff this will suffice.