Screwed by Topps and the Artists

Deckard

Arab Swordsman said:
I posted it in the Heritage thread on Thursday night. There should be a scan of that card and my Roshan Seth autograph.

Nice, Indy getting his hat, I like it.

mfisher

funny thing about this though.. ( and I know this is going to set tnswman off) but I liked the monkey sketch card... I immediately recognized that one as the Raiders monkey.. just a stylized sketch.. but the Indy sketch link I posted.. yeah.. I gotta say that one is absolute junk... it looks like a bad sketch done by a 7th grader... I don't understand why they'd let an artist do multiples of the same drawing though... kinda lame on Topps' part... in the end though, as Deckard said, this is a gamble buying cases and hoping for something rare or coveted.. there are obviously going to be losers and winners..

MankindRam

That's what great about art and being an artist, for every sketch someone doesn't like there is someone who actually does appreciate it. I did some repeats for this set and many others, but I try to limit the numbers I do of them. I wish you all the luck in the world tnswman!

Kyle_Babbitt

Be happy you didnt get 9 cases with only 12 sketch cards like me.. Yes thats 72 boxes. All i got that was great was 2 Karen Allen autos. Live and learn i guess...:mad:

metalinvader

Last edited:

Little Indy

Kyle_Babbitt said:
Be happy you didnt get 9 cases with only 12 sketch cards like me.. Yes thats 72 boxes. All i got that was great was 2 Karen Allen autos. Live and learn i guess...:mad:

Are you gonna put your second Karen Allen up on eBay?

Kyle_Babbitt

Little Indy said:
Are you gonna put your second Karen Allen up on eBay?

Its up with a $99 buy it now. While the Ford auto from the star wars set hit upwards of $10,000 i doutbt the indy one will. There doesnt seem to be as many indy collectors as there are star wars. With all the signing fords been doing i suspect the right price would be somewhere around $3-4,000.

tnswman

So far, I have bought 15 Autographs from ebay including Marion and Sallah and have not spent more than $175.00

I have 8 more boxes coming but I DREAD them because of the Stupid sketch cards.. I will stick to the Comic Book cards from DC and Marvel.. They make sure that Top Artists are doing the sketches, NOT people who draw at a third grade level.

One of my best frineds who is a DC comic Book Artist ALWAYS does Sketch cards for DC, MARVEL, and other lines he has told me how the other companies MAKE you do good work, They will NOT allow SUB-PAR sketches, or sketches that are just quick head shots of the same character.

Gary2880

Are you serious?? If so, how new to the game of life are you?

MY GOD!! How freaking absurd can you be? What a whining baby!

;) :hat:

Deckard

Gary Im pretty sure that ThrowMeTheIdol simply took the ebay photo and posted it on his website to show others the first Harrison auto that has showed up. There arent any reprints.

(oops worng thread, not sure how that happened?)

Gary2880

I'm not sure either, my post was in the correct thread, i was commenting on the thread starters pathetic childish 3 year old esque b.itching.

Try harder in future to get your posts in to the correct threads :)

Trevor G

TR.N Staff Member
I'm sorry, but this job just doesn't compensate the artists well enough to expect MORE than the monkey sketch. This was a lot of hard work for very little return, and we're only left with the hope that the' "six back" each artist receives will earn them a decent amount of money for their hard work.

I did mine out of love for the Indy series.... But it was brutal with my other commitments. I don't blame any artist that did repeats...because the company wanted HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS in very little time.

I just don't think you're understanding the big picture...but I'm sorry you don't like your sketches. I can't argue, I would be upset if I didn't get MORE sketch cards than that. that's disappointing...

Trev

Deckard

Trev I agree, People don't appreciate the time and effort it can take even just for a simple pencil sketch. These artist's are not millionaires or at least most of them certainly aren't.

It's unfortuanate that large comic dealers will stand to make far more profit then say Trevor will from this whole run. That upsets me because when I reserved my boxes it wasn't w/ the intention of collecting a base set, I bought them for the amazing work these artists have done.

Thats also why im glad to see Vanderstelt making around $500 a piece for his cards, these are works of art.

So opposed to bashing which alot here seem to be doing, I want to thank all the artist's who participated. I look forward to owning as many of these as I can afford.

Gary2880

Yip, None of these artists had to do it. Did it out of kindness to try and bring some "wow cool" to someones eyes when they opened a packet. Not have their work moaned about by someone with nothing better to do... Especially people that think (wrongly) that they "deserve" better.

If people are going to be that insulting. Ok then lets see your works of art if its so good, then topps can comission you for the next run of KOTCS cards :D

Perhilion

Look, that doesn't excuse TOPPS for accepting these artists. They should only accept the best art instead of a sketch that looks like it was done by a 3 year old. I can definitely understand why the original poster is upset, if you pay money for these cards you expect good quality art. Don't even try to call those stylized, they're just lazy. I bet that monkey one took all of 3 minutes.

Trevor G

TR.N Staff Member
Perhilion said:
Look, that doesn't excuse TOPPS for accepting these artists. They should only accept the best art instead of a sketch that looks like it was done by a 3 year old. I can definitely understand why the original poster is upset, if you pay money for these cards you expect good quality art. Don't even try to call those stylized, they're just lazy. I bet that monkey one took all of 3 minutes.

The pay rate and deadline just doesn't justify an artist spending much more time than that. It's a flawed system. Collectors go in expecting the exception to the rule, the (high quality, beautiful art) when in reality if every artist rose to that level on every card, we'd all be working well under minimum wage... and in some instances only to bring other people a nice profit on ebay. (and causing the true collector to be out a LOT of money)

I understand everyone's concern and anger. But it just should not be directed at the artists and fans who were a part of making these. I don't, personally, support the way it was all handled, but it always fries me to hear such a harsh retaliation against the artist...especially when they're paid so low for these and expected to deliver so quickly.

not trying to change your minds, I just hope to shed a bit of light on it all,
Trev

Trevor G said:
I'm sorry, but this job just doesn't compensate the artists well enough to expect MORE than the monkey sketch. This was a lot of hard work for very little return, and we're only left with the hope that the' "six back" each artist receives will earn them a decent amount of money for their hard work.

Can you explain this to me? Did you make a ton of cards and then they send you six back? I still haven't been able to find any around me, and the eBay stuff doesn't make and sense. The way one auction suggested is that the artist made the cards,the cards were sent back to the artist while copies were made and put into the packs. I'm really starting to wonder if it's worth it at all to have anything besides the basic set.

Trevor G

TR.N Staff Member
no problem, it's a pretty simple system...

all the artwork was made and sent in to Topps. that original art is placed into card packs. so if you get a card, it's an original piece of art.

six of the cards we sent in are supposed to be sent back to us with the intention that the artist can put them up on ebay or something and earn a better profit, or keep them for themselves as payment.

But the cards you receive aren't copies or prints, it's actual artwork.

Trev