Best Indy Fanfilm?

TrentPraeger

So I've been scouring the web for Indy fan films for a few weeks now, and have watched all the ones I can find. Trouble is, only a very select few are any good, while the rest are just spoofs, or really young kids trying to be Indy. I just want to see some people really give it a great shot, and do Indy justice on the web. Anyone wanna give me some directions to the best Indy fanfilm?

Fortune and Glory. :whip:

TrentPraeger

indy34 said:
I'd have to say without a doubt that Fran Casanova's fan films are by far the best(y)

I agree that his fanfilms are by far some of the best out there, but is there a clear winner? As in, THE best single fan film of Indy? Based on popular opinion, not singular.

col.dietrich

TrentPraeger said:
So I've been scouring the web for Indy fan films for a few weeks now, and have watched all the ones I can find. Trouble is, only a very select few are any good, while the rest are just spoofs, or really young kids trying to be Indy. I just want to see some people really give it a great shot, and do Indy justice on the web. Anyone wanna give me some directions to the best Indy fanfilm?

Fortune and Glory. :whip:
hmmmm
by really young kids do you mean me????
just a thought...

but the best are frans, and chris stuckmann's

Ska

I'd like to think ours turned our fairly well and did justice to the big screen versions. We at least did a serious film and were in high school/college. Kids at heart, yes...but somewhat mature at that time.

Indiana Jones and the Spirit of the People Trailer
Chapter 1: The Orb of Souls
Chapter 2: Propositions
Chapter 3: Raiders of the Hidden Idol
Chapter 4: Reclaiming the Spirit
Chapter 5: Race to the Cave
Chapter 6: The Power of Rapa

...in case you haven't seem 'em and would like to watch.

BTW, Fran's movies are really great. Kudos to him.

lao che & sons

Ska said:
I'd like to think ours turned our fairly well and did justice to the big screen versions. We at least did a serious film and were in high school/college. Kids at heart, yes...but somewhat mature at that time.

Indiana Jones and the Spirit of the People Trailer
Chapter 1: The Orb of Souls
Chapter 2: Propositions
Chapter 3: Raiders of the Hidden Idol
Chapter 4: Reclaiming the Spirit
Chapter 5: Race to the Cave
Chapter 6: The Power of Rapa

...in case you haven't seem 'em and would like to watch.

BTW, Fran's movies are really great. Kudos to him.

BRAVO! MARVELOUS! AMAZING! Now that is a fanfilm! What film stock did you use (or did you just add in a film effect in post)? I love how you shot the train sequence. If this was a talkie (real sound and sound effects that scene really would've had the perfect energy. BUt without sound, it still did. I have yet to see any of fran's work beside that one preview. But whne I do I'm sure I'm going to be impressed beyond belief(y)

TrentPraeger

col.dietrich said:
hmmmm
by really young kids do you mean me????
just a thought...

but the best are frans, and chris stuckmann's

Yes, but don't take it as an insult. Young film makers need to be inspired, and if Indy is your inspiration, then by all means, please continue. I would just like to see more work done by people a little more experienced, and it doesn't help to be older to pull off most of the stunts and such.

But please, keep on making more short films! Follow your dreams! I wish you nothing but Fortune and Glory!:whip:

Snakes

I think that Indiana Jones is inherently nearly impossible to make a great fanfilm about. Many times have I considered making an Indiana Jones fanfilm, but there's a few things that I personally need to have in an Indy movie, all of which are incredibly hard to do. Firstly, is Indy himself, who I think is totally dependent on Harrison Ford playing him. Anyone else just doesn't feel right. Another is the overall production, things like lost cities, chase scenes, explosions and the like. These kinds of things, which are a huge part of the movies, are very difficult to achieve without a huge budget. While Ive seen some people get some elements right, I don't think anyone has done everything right to make a truly great Indy fanfilm. Not to say they haven't tried, and some have gotten pretty darn close. The best Ive seen are Fran Casanova's. His really captured the feeling of Indy, and I'd love to see what he could do with more resources.

Dr. Gonzo

Snakes said:
I think that Indiana Jones is inherently nearly impossible to make a great fanfilm about. Many times have I considered making an Indiana Jones fanfilm, but there's a few things that I personally need to have in an Indy movie, all of which are incredibly hard to do. Firstly, is Indy himself, who I think is totally dependent on Harrison Ford playing him. Anyone else just doesn't feel right. Another is the overall production, things like lost cities, chase scenes, explosions and the like. These kinds of things, which are a huge part of the movies, are very difficult to achieve without a huge budget.

That my friend is exactly why I started working on this...

It's not "serious" per say but probably the closest you can come to doing crazy set pieces, explosions, stunts etc with a small budget.

The smaller the scale the smaller the budget.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XOSj1kWOTnI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XOSj1kWOTnI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Lance Quazar

Snakes said:
I think that Indiana Jones is inherently nearly impossible to make a great fanfilm about. Many times have I considered making an Indiana Jones fanfilm, but there's a few things that I personally need to have in an Indy movie, all of which are incredibly hard to do. Firstly, is Indy himself, who I think is totally dependent on Harrison Ford playing him. Anyone else just doesn't feel right. Another is the overall production, things like lost cities, chase scenes, explosions and the like. These kinds of things, which are a huge part of the movies, are very difficult to achieve without a huge budget. While Ive seen some people get some elements right, I don't think anyone has done everything right to make a truly great Indy fanfilm. Not to say they haven't tried, and some have gotten pretty darn close. The best Ive seen are Fran Casanova's. His really captured the feeling of Indy, and I'd love to see what he could do with more resources.

Very true. People can do amazing things with computer effects on a home budget these days, but you can't fake Indy quality stunts and set pieces on an amateur budget.

I always found it funny watching the occasional Star Trek or Star Wars fan film when they go out on location.

AMAZING computer effects and space battles - and horribly crappy sets and location work. Often makes for an unintentionally hilarious juxtaposition.

Doing a period Indy movie on a fan film budget? With exotic locales, archaeological wonders, stunts, vehicles, action sequences? Forgetaboutit.

lao che & sons

Exactly Lance. I agree with you here. But Like Gonzo said, the smaller the scale the smaller the budget. Which is why I did my own series of Stop Motion Indy Fan Films. So that I could have marvelous set pieces the didn't cost next to anything, cool period (1930s/1940s) vehicles, period costumes, and great action sequences. In case you haven't seen it, here's a taste...

chapter 3

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/enHTBiHUWBQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/enHTBiHUWBQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

and chapter 2

<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rT43jb_jLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rT43jb_jLw&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>

But still the small sclae creates a less realistic effect. And you'll always have the problem of not having Harrison Ford on speed dial to do some voice overs. And it is because of these exact reasons that I've stopped making fanfilms and to tell my own stories with my own charcters.:gun:

Last edited:

col.dietrich

well even if I am "really young kid trying to be Indy"(which I am pissed about because I take making these films very seriously) here is my latest fan-film!

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLOMgh9Ykpo"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLOMgh9Ykpo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVzE-qupQZc"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JVzE-qupQZc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sc9z_RjrMd0"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sc9z_RjrMd0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

enjoy....I guess...

col.dietrich

TrentPraeger said:
Yes, but don't take it as an insult. Young film makers need to be inspired, and if Indy is your inspiration, then by all means, please continue. I would just like to see more work done by people a little more experienced, and it doesn't help to be older to pull off most of the stunts and such.

But please, keep on making more short films! Follow your dreams! I wish you nothing but Fortune and Glory!:whip:
Well I'm sorry I am an avid Indy fan and decided to do the classic truck stunt on greenscreen instead of risking my life as 13 year old boy, who has been making films for 6 years...

lao che & sons

Col. Dietrich,

these are the exact reasons I quit making fanfilms. If you make your own thing then the viewer has nothing to compare it to. They start your film off with an open mind. That, and it's a lot easier to shoot (in some cases) live action, than stop motion, which in my opinion is the only way to shoot a pretty good fanfilm unless you're working with a lot of money. Plus you're goiving yourself more opportunity to make it to the big leagues. Fanfilms are for the Indies. The real deal is when you can create your own characters and story line. I've moved on, and went out of my comfort zone in filmmaking, and I have learned so much about the aspects of real filmmaking, which is what I'm working on now, an 8mm project that should be pretty interesting.

but back to the best fanfilm. I see, to remember one that was shot on real film, butthey never finished it, or something like that. It came out in 2008 and started out with Indy being buried alive in the desert at night with some beutiful exterior shots. Then he escapes and goes to this tent and gets it, but the villain sees him int. action sequence. It wasn't the best, the scripting was terrible, but I still enjoyed it. Does anyone remeber this?(y)

col.dietrich

lao che & sons said:
Col. Dietrich,

these are the exact reasons I quit making fanfilms. If you make your own thing then the viewer has nothing to compare it to. They start your film off with an open mind. That, and it's a lot easier to shoot (in some cases) live action, than stop motion, which in my opinion is the only way to shoot a pretty good fanfilm unless you're working with a lot of money. Plus you're goiving yourself more opportunity to make it to the big leagues. Fanfilms are for the Indies. The real deal is when you can create your own characters and story line. I've moved on, and went out of my comfort zone in filmmaking, and I have learned so much about the aspects of real filmmaking, which is what I'm working on now, an 8mm project that should be pretty interesting.

but back to the best fanfilm. I see, to remember one that was shot on real film, butthey never finished it, or something like that. It came out in 2008 and started out with Indy being buried alive in the desert at night with some beutiful exterior shots. Then he escapes and goes to this tent and gets it, but the villain sees him int. action sequence. It wasn't the best, the scripting was terrible, but I still enjoyed it. Does anyone remeber this?(y)
I have made several original films, so, yeah...

col.dietrich

lao che & sons said:
oh yeah
Treasure of Templars

lao che & sons

col.dietrich said:
I have made several original films, so, yeah...

Well, that's great. I'm just trying to give you my explaination of why there aren't any perfect fanfilms out there. Geeze.

And that's right it was treasure of the templars, I thought they did a wonderful job with it.

Glurrk

Speaking of Templars, they received the dubious honor of making a Top Ten list of fan films that will (probably) never get finished.

Click Here to read the list.