UK BBC1 tv premiere

Dene

Crystal Skull had its terrestrial tv premiere here in the UK yesterday, Sat 1 Jan @ 5.30pm on BBC One.

It got 7.6 million viewers on the overnights (i.e. those who recorded and watched later won't be added in until the official figure later), a 31.1% share.

This is a terrific showing, first run movies over here don't get huge audiences these days because most people have already seen them on DVD, pay-per-view, etc. A far cry from Raiders, which got over 19 million when it was premiered here on ITV at Christmas 1984, but excellent for today's figures.

Listings mags were all very positive in their reviews too.

He's still got it :)!

emtiem

Indy films always get good ratings on the BBC; Raiders is on later this week (in HD, apparently- it was on the BBC HD channel a little while ago but not in HD; hopefully this time we'll get the proper version) and I imagine that'll still do well- it always does.

Wall E before it got 4.4m and the new magic show just after got 5.5m, to put it in perspective. It looked great in HD and there were no cuts that I could see (even Mutt's little swear!), other than to the end credits which were pretty seamlessly shortened.

AndyLGR

Dene said:
Crystal Skull had its terrestrial tv premiere here in the UK yesterday, Sat 1 Jan @ 5.30pm on BBC One.

It got 7.6 million viewers on the overnights (i.e. those who recorded and watched later won't be added in until the official figure later), a 31.1% share.

This is a terrific showing, first run movies over here don't get huge audiences these days because most people have already seen them on DVD, pay-per-view, etc. A far cry from Raiders, which got over 19 million when it was premiered here on ITV at Christmas 1984, but excellent for today's figures.

Listings mags were all very positive in their reviews too.

He's still got it :)!
That's a great viewing figure. Especially when you consider that viewing figures in this day and age rarely top 10 million for even the top rated shows. I can also remember the premiere of raiders beck in 84, that was a real event and got a lot of publicity.

The Man

Saw it yesterday for the first time since May 2008...

It has a smattering of shots and moments, yes. Alas, for multiple reasons, I still didn't care for it. But let's not return to THAT arena...;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The Man said:
It has a smattering of shots and moments, yes. Alas, for multiple reasons, I still didn't care for it. But let's not return to THAT arena...;)

Might I point you in this direction? You've had some eloquent commentary before in this thread, and seeing it once more after at least some of the disappointment has drained away could lead to more.

Also: I didn't have reason to post in any of the other threads you have, but: it's good to see you back.

The Man

Attila the Professor said:
Might I point you in this direction? You've had some eloquent commentary before in this thread, and seeing it once more after at least some of the disappointment has drained away could lead to more.

Also: I didn't have reason to post in any of the other threads you have, but: it's good to see you back.

Thank you, A.T.P. :hat:

Rhys135

Great results, did much better than I expected (around 5M) but I wonder if it would of done better on Boxing Day perhaps?